[Troll] Reality Distortion Fields - Linux

This is a discussion on [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields - Linux ; http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...-out-of-ideas/ Reality Distortion, Distortion, Distortion. Is Jobs bamboozling Mac users into buying an operating system that wastes their time with malware scans (and viral outbreaks) that exist because the software was designed without any regard for basic security? Has he ...

  1. [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...-out-of-ideas/

    Reality Distortion, Distortion, Distortion.

    Is Jobs bamboozling Mac users into buying an operating system that
    wastes their time with malware scans (and viral outbreaks) that exist
    because the software was designed without any regard for basic
    security? Has he hoodwinked the company's customers into buying
    poorly designed computers that appear to be cheap but only last for a
    year or two before becoming ewaste junk?

    [DELL laptops, anyone?]

    Has he lead the 'faithful' on a wild goose chase that made
    a lot of promises about technologies (such as, say, a database file
    system) that were never actually delivered? Has he championed a
    variety of worthless ideas for poorly conceived products that
    absorbed billions of dollars in development investments by outside
    companies, only to find those product visions meet with yawns in the
    market place?

    Wait: malware, ewaste, vaporware, and atrocious products --- that
    doesn't sound like Steve Jobs and Apple, but rather Bill Gates,
    Steve Ballmer, and Microsoft. What is particularly interesting is
    that Jobs hasn't been writing books where he outlines his grand
    view of the road ahead and gives himself credit for predictions
    through revision editing. Instead, Jobs has frequently diverted
    fawning attention from fans to his employees.

    --
    The only other people who might benefit from Linux8086 would be owners
    of PDP/11's and other roomsized computers from the same era.

  2. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    Homer wrote:

    > I should get paid for this.

    The greed just bursts out of [H]omer's little brain.

  3. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 21:22:35 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Homer wrote:
    >
    >> I should get paid for this.

    > The greed just bursts out of [H]omer's little brain.

    I'm sure Schestowitz can hook him up to the gravy train.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    In article ,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Kzin: Larry Niven's Known Space series. (I've not read these;
    > I need to at some point. ;-) )

    WTF?

    You haven't read the Known Space stores, but you have time for usenet?
    Go read them.

    I mean seriously...

    ##
    ##
    ##
    ######
    ##########
    ###############
    ####################
    #######################
    ####################### ##
    ######################## ##
    #######################
    ########################
    ########################
    #######################
    ##############
    ########
    ########
    #########
    ####################
    #######################
    ########################
    ########################
    ###################
    #########
    ########
    ########
    #########
    #########
    ######### ##
    ######### ##
    ########
    ######
    ##
    ##

    #########
    #########
    #########
    ####
    ##
    ##
    ##
    ##
    ## ##
    ## ##
    ## ##
    ## ##
    ##
    ##
    ##
    ###
    ######
    #########
    #########
    ## ##
    ## ##
    ## ##
    ## ## ##
    ## ## ##
    ## ##
    ## ##
    ## ##
    ## ##
    ### ##
    ########## ##
    ########## ##
    ##
    ##
    ##
    ####
    #########
    #########

    ####
    #######
    ##########
    ###########
    ###
    ### ## ##
    ####### ######### ##
    ####### ########### ##
    ####### ############# ##
    ##### ###### ###### ##
    ###### ###
    ####### ######
    ######################
    #####################
    ###################
    ###############
    #######

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 03:48:07 +0100
    <9gioj5-jer.ln1@sky.matrix>:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >
    >> You forgot Kzin, Kilrathi, Hani, and Gamboldt. ;-)
    >>

    >> Kzin: Larry Niven's Known Space series. (I've not read these;
    >> I need to at some point. ;-) )
    >> Kilrathi: Wing Commander; a book derivative is Freedom Flight.
    >> Hani: Chanur Saga, C. J. Cherryh.
    >> Gamboldt: offhandedly mentioned in Phule's Paradise, Robert Asprin.

    > Meh! Beyond Heinlein; Clarke and Asimov, most Sci-Fi literature leaves
    > me cold, although I do enjoy the film/TV genre.

    Oddly, Asimov doesn't include any felines in his "Universe"
    anthology. Insects, bats, dolphins, bacon slabs (!),
    and snakes[*] are the closest Earthly matches, with some odd
    personalities to match (the bats are rather bigoted and
    the dolphins wax loquaciously philosophical, for example).
    Can't say regarding Heinlein or Clarke's extraterratology,
    though Rama had some mildly interesting robots.

    For its part the first Star Trek didn't get much past
    dinosaurs and maybe pigs [+]. (They couldn't afford the
    costumes. ;-) ) The Next Generation I'm not as familiar with,
    though the Klingons got ridges -- and a little more flavor.

    Farscape got weird quickly. Blake's 7 was mildly
    interesting. Star Wars was ridiculous but fun. (There's
    an analysis on the Deathstar's garbage compactor wandering
    around the 'Net, for example.) Quark lasted all of 8 episodes,
    and now I'm wondering if we'll ever see them again, even
    on Youtube.

    > It's the opposite with
    > the Fantasy genre (Tolkien; Lewis; etc.) which I think translates very
    > poorly to screen (I absolutely hated LOTR and Narnia on film).

    LOTR was hacked, though not unlovingly, but I did have
    to wince on occasion, especially the scene of Faramir in
    Gondor; I practically wanted to scream at the screen.
    (For starters, Frodo didn't initially meet him there!)
    They didn't really do the Ents justice, either -- though
    how one does them justice, I don't know; they were around a
    lot longer than hobbitkind. ;-) As you can probably tell,
    I've seen the middle one, but not the other two.

    Might be tolerable if one hasn't memorized the book, and
    they got the flavor more or less right -- but for one that
    has read the book many times, it's not all that pleasant
    an experience to watch the compromises, lush and green as
    the film generally was.

    I've not seen Narnia.

    > Which reminds me, I forgot "Aslan" in the list above (Mac OS X Aslan?).
    > Heinlein also has quite a predilection for cats IIRC.
    >
    >> There's a few other spacefaring cats out there, I'm sure.

    > Ripley's cat (Jones) in Alien?
    >
    > "Mac OS X: In SpacesŪ no one can hear you scream"

    Not familiar with that one. ;-)

    >> One could also go the housecat route, though I'm not sure "Mac OS
    >> 10.8 -- Doll Face Persian" does it for me...

    > I don't know breeds. I just call them all tabby or moggy ... or "that
    > damned cat". Usually I just sit on them, or throw large; heavy objects
    > in their general direction.
    >
    > http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWM_khN4UL0

    I actually had to look up "cat breeds" to find that
    one. :-) Stands to reason, though; if there are dog
    breeders, there has to be cat breeders, bird breeders,
    and fish breeders.
    [*] of course the actual names are different (Locrians,
    Crotonites, Cellaphonians, Samians, Naxians), and
    there are many quibbles; one might equally equate the
    Cellaphonians with killer whales, and in at least one
    of the stories the Samians are reputed to have a dirty
    little secret of having a related species -- or even
    smaller versions of themselves -- in virtual slavery.
    There are also various non-spacefaring species mentioned,
    and a lot of stories -- written by other authors, as
    Asimov wanted to help them gain fame by structuring this
    framework.

    But I digress.

    [+] The Gorn (I forget the episode but it had to do with
    the telepathic Melkotians; of course Kirk wins) and
    an alien in Journey to Babel who later gets killed.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    to fix your Windows problems?

  6. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:25:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > LOTR was hacked, though not unlovingly, but I did have to wince on
    > occasion, especially the scene of Faramir in Gondor; I practically
    > wanted to scream at the screen. (For starters, Frodo didn't initially
    > meet him there!)

    Yes, they hacked LOTR. The Scouring of the Shire is missing, which is
    pretty much the point. BTW, Frodo does meet Faramir in Ithilien(?), or at
    least on a patrol, as in the book.

    > They didn't really do the Ents justice, either --
    > though how one does them justice, I don't know; they were around a lot
    > longer than hobbitkind. ;-) As you can probably tell, I've seen the
    > middle one, but not the other two.
    >
    > Might be tolerable if one hasn't memorized the book, and they got the
    > flavor more or less right -- but for one that has read the book many
    > times, it's not all that pleasant an experience to watch the
    > compromises, lush and green as the film generally was.

    They left a lot out. I can't figure out how people that hadn't read the
    books followed the movie. They change Elrond's character quite a bit. The
    relationship between Faramir and Eowyn is entirely missing. There is
    very the little of "sometimes for things to be saved someone has to lose
    them" theme left.

    > I've not seen Narnia.

    Saw it. Haven't read the books. Haven't seen Prince Caspian.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    > In article ,
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> Kzin: Larry Niven's Known Space series. (I've not read these;
    >> I need to at some point. ;-) )

    > WTF?
    >
    > You haven't read the Known Space stores, but you have time for usenet?
    > Go read them.
    >
    > I mean seriously...

    I used to read sf a lot, but in the last couple decades I don't have
    much patience with any kind of fiction anymore.

    Except, of course, the absolute fiction transmitted here in COLA.

    Also, I find it difficult to sit still through a movie. I can do it in
    the theater/theatre, but at home? Bleh. I have watched a couple of
    DVDs ("Kiss of the Tiger" and "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon"), but that
    was with mplayer while tinkering on the computer.

  8. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > There's a few other spacefaring cats out there, I'm sure.

    Panthro, Liono, Cheetarah, Tygra, Jaga, Wileykit, wileycat, etc...
    There's also Cat from red dwarf..

  9. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:51:52 -0500
    :
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:25:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    >> LOTR was hacked, though not unlovingly, but I did have to wince on
    >> occasion, especially the scene of Faramir in Gondor; I practically
    >> wanted to scream at the screen. (For starters, Frodo didn't initially
    >> meet him there!)

    > Yes, they hacked LOTR. The Scouring of the Shire is missing, which is
    > pretty much the point. BTW, Frodo does meet Faramir in Ithilien(?), or at
    > least on a patrol, as in the book.

    Ithilien, yes; Gondor, no. In the book he's honorable, though vexed
    with sore temptation. In the movie, I didn't get that connotation.

    >> They didn't really do the Ents justice, either --
    >> though how one does them justice, I don't know; they were around a lot
    >> longer than hobbitkind. ;-) As you can probably tell, I've seen the
    >> middle one, but not the other two.
    >>
    >> Might be tolerable if one hasn't memorized the book, and they got the
    >> flavor more or less right -- but for one that has read the book many
    >> times, it's not all that pleasant an experience to watch the
    >> compromises, lush and green as the film generally was.

    > They left a lot out. I can't figure out how people that hadn't read the
    > books followed the movie. They change Elrond's character quite a bit. The
    > relationship between Faramir and Eowyn is entirely missing.

    Pity. That was one of the more interesting side jaunts, especially
    after "Dernhelm" revealed herself.

    > There is
    > very the little of "sometimes for things to be saved someone has to lose
    > them" theme left.
    >

    >> I've not seen Narnia.

    > Saw it. Haven't read the books. Haven't seen Prince Caspian.

    I've read some of the books; can't say I liked them that much.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);

  10. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:31:23 +0100
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> There's a few other spacefaring cats out there, I'm sure.

    > Panthro, Liono, Cheetarah, Tygra, Jaga, Wileykit, wileycat, etc...
    > There's also Cat from red dwarf..

    Oh yeah, Thundercats. Heh. :-)

    And then there's Ryo-oku, which one might construe as
    part bunny rabbit, part cat, part spaceship. I think.
    Hard to tell, especially after feeding him hot peppers.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }

  11. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:29:58 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:51:52 -0500
    > :
    >> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:25:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>

    >>> LOTR was hacked, though not unlovingly, but I did have to wince on
    >>> occasion, especially the scene of Faramir in Gondor; I practically
    >>> wanted to scream at the screen. (For starters, Frodo didn't initially
    >>> meet him there!)

    >> Yes, they hacked LOTR. The Scouring of the Shire is missing, which is
    >> pretty much the point. BTW, Frodo does meet Faramir in Ithilien(?), or
    >> at least on a patrol, as in the book.

    > Ithilien, yes; Gondor, no.

    Well intially in Ithilien, and again after the War was won in Minas
    Tirith. How's that :-)

    > In the book he's honorable, though vexed
    > with sore temptation. In the movie, I didn't get that connotation.

    They didn't show much about Denethor being basically an honorable man, by
    broken because it kept using the Stone, either. You don't feel the sense
    of loss. It just looked like he was a pissed off old man.

    >>> They didn't really do the Ents justice, either -- though how one does
    >>> them justice, I don't know; they were around a lot longer than
    >>> hobbitkind. ;-) As you can probably tell, I've seen the middle one,
    >>> but not the other two.
    >>>
    >>> Might be tolerable if one hasn't memorized the book, and they got the
    >>> flavor more or less right -- but for one that has read the book many
    >>> times, it's not all that pleasant an experience to watch the
    >>> compromises, lush and green as the film generally was.

    >> They left a lot out. I can't figure out how people that hadn't read the
    >> books followed the movie. They change Elrond's character quite a bit.
    >> The relationship between Faramir and Eowyn is entirely missing.

    > Pity. That was one of the more interesting side jaunts, especially
    > after "Dernhelm" revealed herself.

    Yes... years waiting on Theoden, then being asked to "slink away" to the
    caves, especially after finding about Arwen, then finaly finding Faramir
    in the Houses of Healing ... cut down to them being together at Arwen's
    wedding. And the Crowing of Aragorn was lousy, too. Ah, well.

    If they had done it all, we'd still be watching it :-)

    >> There is
    >> very the little of "sometimes for things to be saved someone has to
    >> lose them" theme left.
    >>

    >>> I've not seen Narnia.

    >> Saw it. Haven't read the books. Haven't seen Prince Caspian.
    >>

    > I've read some of the books; can't say I liked them that much.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:52:12 -0500
    :
    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:29:58 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:51:52 -0500
    >> :

    >>> Yes, they hacked LOTR. The Scouring of the Shire is missing, which is
    >>> pretty much the point. BTW, Frodo does meet Faramir in Ithilien(?), or
    >>> at least on a patrol, as in the book.

    >> Ithilien, yes; Gondor, no.

    > Well intially in Ithilien, and again after the War was won in Minas
    > Tirith. How's that :-)

    Then they cut out the initial meeting then, and the scene was
    near the end of the second movie -- the war hadn't been won yet.

    >> In the book he's honorable, though vexed
    >> with sore temptation. In the movie, I didn't get that connotation.

    > They didn't show much about Denethor being basically an honorable man, by
    > broken because it kept using the Stone, either. You don't feel the sense
    > of loss. It just looked like he was a pissed off old man.

    >>> They left a lot out. I can't figure out how people that hadn't read the
    >>> books followed the movie. They change Elrond's character quite a bit.
    >>> The relationship between Faramir and Eowyn is entirely missing.

    >> Pity. That was one of the more interesting side jaunts, especially
    >> after "Dernhelm" revealed herself.

    > Yes... years waiting on Theoden, then being asked to "slink away" to the
    > caves, especially after finding about Arwen, then finaly finding Faramir
    > in the Houses of Healing

    After having a crush on Aragorn. Complicated. ;-)

    > ... cut down to them being together at Arwen's
    > wedding. And the Crowing of Aragorn was lousy, too. Ah, well.
    >
    > If they had done it all, we'd still be watching it :-)

    Aye.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  13. Re: [Troll] Reality Distortion Fields

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:20:18 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:52:12 -0500
    > :
    >> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:29:58 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:51:52 -0500
    >>> :

    >>> Ithilien, yes; Gondor, no.

    >> Well intially in Ithilien, and again after the War was won in Minas
    >> Tirith. How's that :-)

    > Then they cut out the initial meeting then, and the scene was near the
    > end of the second movie -- the war hadn't been won yet.

    IIRC, they showed Frodo's meeting with Faramir in Ithelien. it's in The
    Two Towers, book and movie. They didn't do much with it.

    >>> In the book he's honorable, though vexed with sore temptation. In the
    >>> movie, I didn't get that connotation.

    >> They didn't show much about Denethor being basically an honorable man,
    >> by broken because it kept using the Stone, either. You don't feel the
    >> sense of loss. It just looked like he was a pissed off old man.

    >>> Pity. That was one of the more interesting side jaunts, especially
    >>> after "Dernhelm" revealed herself.

    >> Yes... years waiting on Theoden, then being asked to "slink away" to
    >> the caves, especially after finding about Arwen, then finaly finding
    >> Faramir in the Houses of Healing

    > After having a crush on Aragorn. Complicated. ;-)
    >
    >> ... cut down to them being together at Arwen's wedding. And the Crowing
    >> of Aragorn was lousy, too. Ah, well.
    >>
    >> If they had done it all, we'd still be watching it :-)

    > Aye.

    >>> I've read some of the books; can't say I liked them that much.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: [Troll] Reality - Linux Rules and Windows Drools

    Linonut wrote:
    > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...-out-of-ideas/
    >
    > Reality Distortion, Distortion, Distortion.

    > Wait: malware, ewaste, vaporware, and atrocious products ---
    > that doesn't sound like Steve Jobs and Apple, but rather Bill
    > Gates, Steve Ballmer, and Microsoft. What is particularly
    > interesting is that Jobs hasn't been writing books where he
    > outlines his grand view of the road ahead and gives himself
    > credit for predictions through revision editing. Instead, Jobs
    > has frequently diverted fawning attention from fans to his
    > employees.

    I spent several hours this past weekend, troubleshooting a
    friend's fairly new Dell Windows XP desktop system.

    Communications was sporatic; hard disk was constantly grinding
    away. A check of his DSL wireless router gateway with my trusty
    yet venerable Dell C600 laptop revealed that the hardwired LAN
    and wireless worked flawlessly, so it wasn't that nor the ISP's
    service.

    Something was hindering communications and turning off Norton 360
    Antivirus. Removed the Earthlink "value added" software and IE7
    toolbar. Now had no communications. Ping to known external
    sites showed that the LAN and DNS was working.

    Found out it was a tainted or bogus Earthlink spam blocker
    executable, which was revealed by installing spyware scanning
    software similar to Sharkwire (can't remember the name off-hand).

    After sending the executable to quarantine and rebooting, now I
    had communication. Now Norton 360 remained in force without
    anti-viral being turned off.

    FireFox was now downloading webpages at DSL speeds. (I told him
    to use FireFox and discontinue IE7. He was surprised how much
    smoother and quicker FF is over IE in Windows XP.)

    DFS continues to bash FOSS, but to me this episode clearly
    demonstrates that IE7 is real "sludgeware" and Windows is still
    prone to successful viral attacks, in spite of advances in
    anti-viral technology.

    --
    HPT

+ Reply to Thread