Compromised Linux box used for large-scale DoS attack - Linux

This is a discussion on Compromised Linux box used for large-scale DoS attack - Linux ; "I remember many years ago when a DoS attack took out thousands of networks because it was launched from a single Linux box which happened to be located directly on the backbone -- a system someone thought had been decommissioned ...

  1. Compromised Linux box used for large-scale DoS attack

    "I remember many years ago when a DoS attack took out thousands of networks
    because it was launched from a single Linux box which happened to be located
    directly on the backbone -- a system someone thought had been decommissioned
    but wasn't."

    http://redmondmag.com/columns/print....torialsID=1330

    But "Linux is secure!" (period)?

  2. Re: Compromised Linux box used for large-scale DoS attack

    On Jun 30, 9:19*am, "DFS" wrote:
    > "I remember many years ago when a DoS attack took out thousands of networks
    > because it was launched from a single Linux box which happened to be located
    > directly on the backbone -- a system someone thought had been decommissioned
    > but wasn't."
    >
    > http://redmondmag.com/columns/print....torialsID=1330
    >
    > But "Linux is secure!" (period)?

    WOW. That linux box is just awesome. It keeps running and running.
    Even the dark side can use linux.

  3. Re: Compromised Linux box used for large-scale DoS attack

    psycgeeks@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Jun 30, 9:19 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "I remember many years ago when a DoS attack took out thousands of networks
    >> because it was launched from a single Linux box which happened to be located
    >> directly on the backbone -- a system someone thought had been decommissioned
    >> but wasn't."
    >>
    >> http://redmondmag.com/columns/print....torialsID=1330
    >>
    >> But "Linux is secure!" (period)?

    > WOW. That linux box is just awesome. It keeps running and running.
    > Even the dark side can use linux.

    Does anyone know whether the "Linux box" referred to in the article
    was compromised through the Internet or was compromised locally by a
    savvy person who wrote/initiated the DoS attacks from that machine?

  4. Re: Compromised Linux box used for large-scale DoS attack

    DFS wrote:

    > "I remember many years ago when a DoS attack took out thousands of
    > networks because it was launched from a single Linux box which happened to
    > be located directly on the backbone -- a system someone thought had been
    > decommissioned but wasn't."
    >
    > http://redmondmag.com/columns/print....torialsID=1330
    >

    > But "Linux is secure!" (period)?

    So... lets see.... this article was written in 2006... and the author
    mentions a problem with a linux computer... "many years ago..." and makes
    no effort to publish a link to a story about the "linux box"... and... this
    article was posted in "REDMONDMAG.COM" "The independent voice of the
    Microsoft community"...

    Yup... I'll put a lot of faith into that one...

    Is this the best you can do?

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: Compromised Linux box used for large-scale DoS attack

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 18:13:02 -0400, Jerry McBride wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "I remember many years ago when a DoS attack took out thousands of
    >> networks because it was launched from a single Linux box which happened to
    >> be located directly on the backbone -- a system someone thought had been
    >> decommissioned but wasn't."
    >>
    >> http://redmondmag.com/columns/print....torialsID=1330
    >>

    >> But "Linux is secure!" (period)?

    > So... lets see.... this article was written in 2006... and the author
    > mentions a problem with a linux computer... "many years ago..." and makes
    > no effort to publish a link to a story about the "linux box"... and... this
    > article was posted in "REDMONDMAG.COM" "The independent voice of the
    > Microsoft community"...
    >
    > Yup... I'll put a lot of faith into that one...
    >
    > Is this the best you can do?

    Interesting how you Linux loons were denying the entire affair 2 years ago.
    Why bring up the Halloween Papers over and over again?
    Do you also take Roy Schestowitz to task when he uses one of his own blogs
    as a reference?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: