How's this for market share? - Linux

This is a discussion on How's this for market share? - Linux ; http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux! 1.0 % run on Windows. Mac OS is an also-ran with... snicker... wait for it... 0.40% LOL Virginia Tech is still on the list, BTW, at 280: http://www.top500.org/site/history/2024...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

  1. How's this for market share?

    http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam

    85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!

    1.0 % run on Windows.

    Mac OS is an also-ran with... snicker... wait for it... 0.40% LOL

    Virginia Tech is still on the list, BTW, at 280:

    http://www.top500.org/site/history/2024

  2. Re: How's this for market share?

    Edwin wrote:

    > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam
    >
    > 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!
    >
    > 1.0 % run on Windows.

    Actually, 0.6% run on windows
    Of the 5 machines listed with Windows HPC, 2 are also listed to run linux

    > Mac OS is an also-ran with... snicker... wait for it... 0.40% LOL
    >
    > Virginia Tech is still on the list, BTW, at 280:
    >
    > http://www.top500.org/site/history/2024

  3. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Edwin" wrote in message
    > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam
    >
    > 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!

    From a commercial standpoint, that is like being voted the world's tallest
    midget. But at least is is something after all these years of nothing.

  4. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article <9-CdnYKLnP8WIvXVnZ2dnUVZ_rzinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam
    >
    > 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!
    >
    > 1.0 % run on Windows.

    ****, that's pretty embarrassing for an operating system that is the
    market leader in the world, to be so shunned in high-performance
    installations.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

  5. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Edwin" wrote in message
    > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam
    >
    > 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!
    >
    > 1.0 % run on Windows.
    >
    > Mac OS is an also-ran with... snicker... wait for it... 0.40% LOL
    >
    > Virginia Tech is still on the list, BTW, at 280:
    >
    > http://www.top500.org/site/history/2024

    I tell all of my friends who own 1,800 node supercomputers with 4000 CPU's
    that they should run linux.

    I tell the rest of my friends who own a PC and want to use it with the rest
    of the devices they own to either get a Mac or run Windows.

  6. Re: How's this for market share?

    On Jun 30, 9:15*am, Sandman wrote:
    > In article <9-CdnYKLnP8WIvXVnZ2dnUVZ_rzin...@comcast.com>,
    >
    > *Edwin wrote:
    > >http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam

    > > 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!

    > > 1.0 % run on Windows.

    > ****, that's pretty embarrassing for an operating system that is the
    > market leader in the world, to be so shunned in high-performance
    > installations.
    >
    > --
    > Sandman[.net]

    Strangely, i'm not embarrassed by this fact at all.

  7. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Sandman" wrote in message
    > In article <9-CdnYKLnP8WIvXVnZ2dnUVZ_rzinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > Edwin wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam
    >>
    >> 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!
    >>
    >> 1.0 % run on Windows.

    > ****, that's pretty embarrassing for an operating system that is the
    > market leader in the world, to be so shunned in high-performance
    > installations.

    I see you snipped out the Virginia Tech reference. You want to forget all
    the bragging you Maccies did about that site, and how much cheaper per flop
    it was supposed to be to use PPC Macs in a cluster.

    You also snipped the part where Mac OS only has 0.40% of the super computer
    installations, trailing the OS you call "shunned."

    Mac OS X is shunned everywhere. You can't get more embarrassing than
    that.

  8. Re: How's this for market share?

    "amicus_curious" wrote in message
    news:4868d56f$0$20706$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com...

    > "Edwin" wrote in message
    >> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam
    >>
    >> 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!
    >>

    > From a commercial standpoint, that is like being voted the world's tallest
    > midget. But at least is is something after all these years of nothing.

    From a commercial, scientific, governmental, industrial, and academic
    standpoint, most of the world's most important computer installations are
    running on Linux.

  9. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article , "Edwin"
    wrote:

    > > > Edwin:
    > > > http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam
    > > >
    > > > 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!
    > > >
    > > > 1.0 % run on Windows.

    > > Sandman:
    > > ****, that's pretty embarrassing for an operating system that is
    > > the market leader in the world, to be so shunned in
    > > high-performance installations.

    > Edwin:
    > I see you snipped out the Virginia Tech reference.

    Since I didn't reply to it.

    > Edwin:
    > You want to forget all the bragging you Maccies did about that
    > site, and how much cheaper per flop it was supposed to be to use
    > PPC Macs in a cluster.

    It was at the time, but that was a long time ago.

    > You also snipped the part where Mac OS only has 0.40% of the super
    > computer installations, trailing the OS you call "shunned."

    Exactly, but OSX isn't the market leader anywhere else, so it's not as
    embarrassing as it is for Windows.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

  10. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Sandman" wrote in message

    >> > Sandman:
    >> > ****, that's pretty embarrassing for an operating system that is
    >> > the market leader in the world, to be so shunned in
    >> > high-performance installations.

    >> Edwin:
    >> I see you snipped out the Virginia Tech reference.

    > Since I didn't reply to it.

    Since it was embarrassing for you to acknowlege it.

    >> Edwin:
    >> You want to forget all the bragging you Maccies did about that
    >> site, and how much cheaper per flop it was supposed to be to use
    >> PPC Macs in a cluster.

    > It was at the time, but that was a long time ago.

    It never was, that's why nobody else adopted it!

    >> You also snipped the part where Mac OS only has 0.40% of the super
    >> computer installations, trailing the OS you call "shunned."

    > Exactly, but OSX isn't the market leader anywhere else, so it's not as
    > embarrassing as it is for Windows.

    Right, it's more embarrassing for Mac OS X, to not lead in performance
    computing, or anywhere else, when Apple touted it as "the world's most
    advanced operating system."

  11. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Edwin" stated in post
    7ce00$486936e3$28322@news.teranews.com on 6/30/08 12:41 PM:

    > "Sandman" wrote in message

    >>> Edwin:
    >>> I see you snipped out the Virginia Tech reference.

    >> Since I didn't reply to it.

    > Since it was embarrassing for you to acknowlege it.

    Sandman often snips and runs from questions he is embarrassed by... my
    favorite example is when he claims to have gotten his sandman.net site to
    have CSS and HTML that validates.

    No timeline fits with his claims... so he runs.

    Then he denies he is a liar... and lashes out at others who point out his
    lies (such as when he claimed my fully verifiable PDF was "forged").

    --
    I am one of only .3% of people who have avoided becoming a statistic.

  12. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article ,
    Snit wrote:

    > "Edwin" stated in post
    > 7ce00$486936e3$28322@news.teranews.com on 6/30/08 12:41 PM:
    >

    > > "Sandman" wrote in message

    > >> Since I didn't reply to it.

    > > Since it was embarrassing for you to acknowlege it.

    > Sandman often snips and runs from questions he is embarrassed by... my
    > favorite example is when he claims to have gotten his sandman.net site to
    > have CSS and HTML that validates.
    >
    > No timeline fits with his claims... so he runs.
    >
    > Then he denies he is a liar... and lashes out at others who point out his
    > lies (such as when he claimed my fully verifiable PDF was "forged").

    Is this you conducting your "business" again, Snit? LOL!

    Sorry... trolling usenet is not a "business"... and your cat and a couple of
    fish are not your "clients".

    --
    "Apple is pushing how green this is - but it [Macbook Air] is
    clearly disposable... when the battery dies you can pretty much

  13. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Steve Carroll" stated in post
    trollkiller-0B5CAB.13570530062008@ne...ps.comcast.net on 6/30/08 12:57
    PM:

    >> Sandman often snips and runs from questions he is embarrassed by... my
    >> favorite example is when he claims to have gotten his sandman.net site to
    >> have CSS and HTML that validates.
    >>
    >> No timeline fits with his claims... so he runs.
    >>
    >> Then he denies he is a liar... and lashes out at others who point out his
    >> lies (such as when he claimed my fully verifiable PDF was "forged").

    > Is this you conducting your "business" again, Snit? LOL!
    >
    > Sorry... trolling usenet is not a "business"... and your cat and a couple of
    > fish are not your "clients".

    Can you *ever* stick to a topic?

    What the heck is wrong with you to be unable to separate the idea of a
    business from the idea of Usenet?

    --
    Picture of a tuna soda: http://snipurl.com/f351
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  14. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article ,
    Snit wrote:

    > "Steve Carroll" stated in post
    > trollkiller-0B5CAB.13570530062008@ne...ps.comcast.net on 6/30/08 12:57
    > PM:
    >
    > >> Sandman often snips and runs from questions he is embarrassed by... my
    > >> favorite example is when he claims to have gotten his sandman.net site to
    > >> have CSS and HTML that validates.
    > >>
    > >> No timeline fits with his claims... so he runs.
    > >>
    > >> Then he denies he is a liar... and lashes out at others who point out his
    > >> lies (such as when he claimed my fully verifiable PDF was "forged").

    > > Is this you conducting your "business" again, Snit? LOL!
    > >
    > > Sorry... trolling usenet is not a "business"... and your cat and a couple of
    > > fish are not your "clients".

    > Can you *ever* stick to a topic?
    >
    > What the heck is wrong with you to be unable to separate the idea of a
    > business from the idea of Usenet?

    When you are involved the lines are awfully blurred

    --
    "Apple is pushing how green this is - but it [Macbook Air] is
    clearly disposable... when the battery dies you can pretty much
    just throw it away". - Snit

  15. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Steve Carroll" stated in post
    trollkiller-3A2631.14012030062008@ne...ps.comcast.net on 6/30/08 1:01 PM:

    > In article ,
    > Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve Carroll" stated in post
    >> trollkiller-0B5CAB.13570530062008@ne...ps.comcast.net on 6/30/08 12:57
    >> PM:

    >>> Is this you conducting your "business" again, Snit? LOL!
    >>>
    >>> Sorry... trolling usenet is not a "business"... and your cat and a couple of
    >>> fish are not your "clients".

    >> Can you *ever* stick to a topic?
    >>
    >> What the heck is wrong with you to be unable to separate the idea of a
    >> business from the idea of Usenet?

    > When you are involved the lines are awfully blurred

    Only for you. No smiley.

    Nice attempt at a back pedal, though.

    Hey, have you had any luck registering a business via a Schedule C? LOL!

    --
    What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.

  16. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Snit" wrote in message
    news:C48E89DF.C4509%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    > "Steve Carroll" stated in post
    > trollkiller-3A2631.14012030062008@ne...ps.comcast.net on 6/30/08 1:01
    > PM:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Steve Carroll" stated in post
    >>> trollkiller-0B5CAB.13570530062008@ne...ps.comcast.net on 6/30/08
    >>> 12:57
    >>> PM:

    >>> Can you *ever* stick to a topic?

    What's the topic of this thread, Snit?

    >>> What the heck is wrong with you to be unable to separate the idea of a
    >>> business from the idea of Usenet?

    >> When you are involved the lines are awfully blurred

    > Only for you. No smiley.
    >
    > Nice attempt at a back pedal, though.
    >
    > Hey, have you had any luck registering a business via a Schedule C? LOL!

    Do you have to hijack every thread?

  17. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Edwin" wrote in message

    > "amicus_curious" wrote in message
    > news:4868d56f$0$20706$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com...
    >>
    >> "Edwin" wrote in message
    >>> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam
    >>>
    >>> 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!
    >>>

    >> From a commercial standpoint, that is like being voted the world's
    >> tallest midget. But at least is is something after all these years of
    >> nothing.

    > From a commercial, scientific, governmental, industrial, and academic
    > standpoint, most of the world's most important computer installations are
    > running on Linux.

    Keep telling yourself that. It is far less expensive to just fool yourself
    than to have to go through years of therapy to cure your despondencies.

  18. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Edwin" stated in post
    34139$48693d52$2747@news.teranews.com on 6/30/08 1:08 PM:

    > "Snit" wrote in message
    > news:C48E89DF.C4509%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    >> "Steve Carroll" stated in post
    >> trollkiller-3A2631.14012030062008@ne...ps.comcast.net on 6/30/08 1:01
    >> PM:

    > What's the topic of this thread, Snit?

    Wow! So you cannot figure it out.

    Sigh. It has had more than one... the one I was responding to was the topic
    you brought up of Sandman snipping comments that embarrass him.

    >>> When you are involved the lines are awfully blurred

    >> Only for you. No smiley.
    >>
    >> Nice attempt at a back pedal, though.
    >>
    >> Hey, have you had any luck registering a business via a Schedule C? LOL!

    > Do you have to hijack every thread?

    Do you have to shove red hot pokers in your arse?

    --
    Is Swiss cheese made out of hole milk?

  19. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article ,
    "Edwin" wrote:

    > "Sandman" wrote in message
    > > In article <9-CdnYKLnP8WIvXVnZ2dnUVZ_rzinZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > > Edwin wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/osfam
    > >>
    > >> 85.40 % of the top 500 supercomputer sites run on...Linux!
    > >>
    > >> 1.0 % run on Windows.

    > > ****, that's pretty embarrassing for an operating system that is the
    > > market leader in the world, to be so shunned in high-performance
    > > installations.

    > I see you snipped out the Virginia Tech reference. You want to forget all
    > the bragging you Maccies did about that site, and how much cheaper per flop
    > it was supposed to be to use PPC Macs in a cluster.
    >
    > You also snipped the part where Mac OS only has 0.40% of the super computer
    > installations, trailing the OS you call "shunned."
    >
    > Mac OS X is shunned everywhere. You can't get more embarrassing than
    > that.

    Computers used for one specialized purpose choose free OS to do next to
    nothing over OS designed primarily for use by *people*.

    Film at eleven.

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

  20. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Snit" wrote in message
    news:C48E8C96.C4512%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    > "Edwin" stated in post
    > 34139$48693d52$2747@news.teranews.com on 6/30/08 1:08 PM:
    >

    >> "Snit" wrote in message
    >> news:C48E89DF.C4509%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    >>> "Steve Carroll" stated in post
    >>> trollkiller-3A2631.14012030062008@ne...ps.comcast.net on 6/30/08 1:01
    >>> PM:

    >> What's the topic of this thread, Snit?

    > Wow! So you cannot figure it out.

    If my name is Snit.

    > Sigh. It has had more than one... the one I was responding to was the
    > topic
    > you brought up of Sandman snipping comments that embarrass him.

    No, you were just hijacking the thread with all that crap about validating
    CSS and HMTL.

    >>> Only for you. No smiley.
    >>>
    >>> Nice attempt at a back pedal, though.
    >>>
    >>> Hey, have you had any luck registering a business via a Schedule C?
    >>> LOL!

    >> Do you have to hijack every thread?

    > Do you have to shove red hot pokers in your arse?

    No, and I don't. I leave such practices for you to follow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast