How's this for market share? - Linux

This is a discussion on How's this for market share? - Linux ; "Alan Baker" wrote in message news:alangbaker-4980A6.13333630062008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]... > In article , > JEDIDIAH wrote: > >> On 2008-06-30, Alan Baker wrote: >> > In article , >> > "Edwin" wrote: >> > >> >> "Sandman" wrote in message >> >> news:mr-A107E8.15152130062008@News.Individual.NET... ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 58 of 58

  1. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-06-30, Alan Baker wrote:

    >> > Computers used for one specialized purpose choose free OS to do next to
    >> > nothing over OS designed primarily for use by *people*.

    >> What do Mac users do besides run the bundled software?

    > Run lots of not bundled software, of course.

    MS-Office, Windows, other assorted MS software.

    >> You could characterize the Mac users the same way.

    > No, actually, you couldn't.

    Sure you could.

    >> You can also characterize an Avid the same way and it's eating
    >> Apple's lunch right where it lives.

    > LOL

    Yet another non-answer from Alan Baker.

    [snip]

  2. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article <8ffbc$4869510d$1182@news.teranews.com>,
    "Edwin" wrote:

    > "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > > In article ,
    > > JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > >> What do Mac users do besides run the bundled software?

    > > Run lots of not bundled software, of course.

    > MS-Office, Windows, other assorted MS software.

    I do run Office, but I don't use Windows or anything else.

    > >> You could characterize the Mac users the same way.

    > > No, actually, you couldn't.

    > Sure you could.

    LOL

    > >> You can also characterize an Avid the same way and it's eating
    > >> Apple's lunch right where it lives.

    > > LOL

    > Yet another non-answer from Alan Baker.

    OK. I'll give it more of an answer than it deserves:

    No, you can't.

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

  3. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > In article <2e066$486924b5$32254@news.teranews.com>,
    > "Edwin" wrote:
    >
    >> "amicus_curious" wrote in message
    >> news:4868d56f$0$20706$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com...
    >> >
    >> > "Edwin" wrote in message

    >> > From a commercial standpoint, that is like being voted the world's
    >> > tallest
    >> > midget. But at least is is something after all these years of nothing.

    >> From a commercial, scientific, governmental, industrial, and academic
    >> standpoint, most of the world's most important computer installations are
    >> running on Linux.

    > What are the computers they actually use at their desktops, Edwin?

    Funny how you didn't ask that question back when you were trying to convince
    everybody Macs made the best super computer clusters.

    > You need to ask yourself, "If the Mac is so shunned, why do things like
    > this:
    >

    > exist?"

    I see you're dragging the goalposts away from Sandman's calling an OS with a
    small market share "shunned." Mac OS X has less market share than Linux in
    super computing. Mac OS X has less market share than Windows EVERYWHERE.

  4. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Snit" wrote in message
    news:C48E8F39.C4536%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    > "Edwin" stated in post
    > e306e$4869402a$6900@news.teranews.com on 6/30/08 1:20 PM:

    >>> Wow! So you cannot figure it out.

    >> If my name is Snit.

    > I am not the one who asked... that was you.

    And you're the guy who can't figure it out.

    > You have short term memory problems.

    If my name is Snit.

    >>> Sigh. It has had more than one... the one I was responding to was the
    >>> topic
    >>> you brought up of Sandman snipping comments that embarrass him.
    >>>

    >> No, you were just hijacking the thread with all that crap about
    >> validating CSS
    >> and HMTL.

    > I responded to the topic you brought up -

    I didn't bring up the topic of CSS and HMTL.

    > Sandman's snipping and running
    > from that which embarrasses him.

    About how Macs are used in super computing, not the crap you inserted.

    > If that topic was "hijacking" then the
    > blame is all yours.

    It's my fault for starting this thread, huh?

    >>> Do you have to shove red hot pokers in your arse?

    >> No, and I don't. I leave such practices for you to follow.

    > I shan't follow you in doing so.

    Because you'll be doing it and I won't. Therefore you will not be
    following, you will be leading Sigmond and Brock McNuggets in doing it.

  5. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article ,
    "Edwin" wrote:

    > "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > > In article <2e066$486924b5$32254@news.teranews.com>,
    > > "Edwin" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "amicus_curious" wrote in message
    > >> news:4868d56f$0$20706$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com...

    > >> From a commercial, scientific, governmental, industrial, and academic
    > >> standpoint, most of the world's most important computer installations are
    > >> running on Linux.
    > >>

    > >> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    > > What are the computers they actually use at their desktops, Edwin?

    > Funny how you didn't ask that question back when you were trying to convince
    > everybody Macs made the best super computer clusters.

    Where did I ever do that?

    > > You need to ask yourself, "If the Mac is so shunned, why do things like
    > > this:
    > >

    > > exist?"

    > I see you're dragging the goalposts away from Sandman's calling an OS with a
    > small market share "shunned." Mac OS X has less market share than Linux in
    > super computing. Mac OS X has less market share than Windows EVERYWHERE.

    LOL

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
    "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
    '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
    'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
    IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
    'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
    on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

  6. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > In article <4a339$48694eb9$31165@news.teranews.com>,
    > "Edwin" wrote:
    >
    >> "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    >> > Computers used for one specialized purpose choose free OS

    >> You think computers choose their own OS?

    > Pardon the poor sentence.

    Par for your course.

    > Developers building omputers used for one specialized purpose choose
    > free OS.

    Some of them choose Windows. More than choose Mac OS X.

    >> > to do next to nothing

    >> You think super computing clusters do "next to nothing?" Why didn't
    >> you
    >> say that back when you were bragging about V Tech?

    > The OS does next to nothing.

    Same questions as above.

  7. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Edwin" wrote:
    >
    >> "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    >> > What are the computers they actually use at their desktops, Edwin?

    >> Funny how you didn't ask that question back when you were trying to
    >> convince
    >> everybody Macs made the best super computer clusters.

    > Where did I ever do that?

    In CSMA.

    >> > You need to ask yourself, "If the Mac is so shunned, why do things like
    >> > this:
    >> >

    >> > exist?"

    >> I see you're dragging the goalposts away from Sandman's calling an OS
    >> with a
    >> small market share "shunned." Mac OS X has less market share than Linux
    >> in
    >> super computing. Mac OS X has less market share than Windows
    >> EVERYWHERE.

    > LOL

    Once again you have no answer.

  8. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article <7a963$48695b90$11258@news.teranews.com>,
    "Edwin" wrote:

    > "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > > In article ,
    > > "Edwin" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    > >> Funny how you didn't ask that question back when you were trying to
    > >> convince
    > >> everybody Macs made the best super computer clusters.

    > > Where did I ever do that?

    > In CSMA.

    And yet, the examples are -- once again -- nowhere to be found.

    > >> I see you're dragging the goalposts away from Sandman's calling an OS
    > >> with a
    > >> small market share "shunned." Mac OS X has less market share than Linux
    > >> in
    > >> super computing. Mac OS X has less market share than Windows
    > >> EVERYWHERE.

    > > LOL

    > Once again you have no answer.

    LOL

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
    "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
    '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
    'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
    IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
    'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
    on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

  9. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Edwin" stated in post
    507c0$486956c3$7135@news.teranews.com on 6/30/08 2:57 PM:

    > "Snit" wrote in message
    > news:C48E8F39.C4536%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com.. .
    >> "Edwin" stated in post
    >> e306e$4869402a$6900@news.teranews.com on 6/30/08 1:20 PM:

    >>> If my name is Snit.

    >> I am not the one who asked... that was you.

    > And you're the guy who can't figure it out.
    >
    >> You have short term memory problems.

    > If my name is Snit.

    >>> No, you were just hijacking the thread with all that crap about
    >>> validating CSS
    >>> and HMTL.

    >> I responded to the topic you brought up -

    > I didn't bring up the topic of CSS and HMTL.
    >
    >> Sandman's snipping and running
    >> from that which embarrasses him.

    > About how Macs are used in super computing, not the crap you inserted.
    >
    >> If that topic was "hijacking" then the
    >> blame is all yours.

    > It's my fault for starting this thread, huh?

    >>> No, and I don't. I leave such practices for you to follow.

    >> I shan't follow you in doing so.

    > Because you'll be doing it and I won't. Therefore you will not be
    > following, you will be leading Sigmond and Brock McNuggets in doing it.

    If you decide to actually post about an interesting topic let me know. Your
    off topic babbling is boring.

    --
    Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid: humans are incredibly
    slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful beyond

  10. Re: How's this for market share?

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-06-30, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> "Edwin" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "amicus_curious" wrote in message
    >>> news:4868d56f$0$20706$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster. com...

    >>> From a commercial, scientific, governmental, industrial, and academic
    >>> standpoint, most of the world's most important computer installations
    >>> are
    >>> running on Linux.

    >> Keep telling yourself that. It is far less expensive to just fool
    >> yourself
    >> than to have to go through years of therapy to cure your despondencies.

    > Why bother. I can just visit San Francisco during Oracle OpenWorld...

    Where you can see that Linux is in fourth place in terms of the server
    market and last place on the desktop.

  11. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article <7ce00$486936e3$28322@news.teranews.com>, "Edwin"
    wrote:

    > > > Edwin:
    > > > I see you snipped out the Virginia Tech reference.

    > > Sandman:
    > > Since I didn't reply to it.

    > Edwin:
    > Since it was embarrassing for you to acknowlege it.

    In what way?

    > > > Edwin:
    > > > You want to forget all the bragging you Maccies did about that
    > > > site, and how much cheaper per flop it was supposed to be to
    > > > use PPC Macs in a cluster.

    > > Sandman:
    > > It was at the time, but that was a long time ago.

    > Edwin:
    > It never was

    According to the numbers it was.

    > > > Edwin:
    > > > You also snipped the part where Mac OS only has 0.40% of the
    > > > super computer installations, trailing the OS you call
    > > > "shunned."

    > > Sandman:
    > > Exactly, but OSX isn't the market leader anywhere else, so it's
    > > not as embarrassing as it is for Windows.

    > Edwin:
    > Right, it's more embarrassing for Mac OS X, to not lead in
    > performance computing, or anywhere else, when Apple touted it as
    > "the world's most advanced operating system."

    I'm guessing that Microsoft touts their OS as "not a high performance
    operating system" in order for the lack of adoption in
    high-performance fields not be embarrassing?

    --
    Sandman[.net]

  12. Re: How's this for market share?

    On 2008-07-01, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    >> On 2008-06-30, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Edwin" wrote in message

    >>> Keep telling yourself that. It is far less expensive to just fool
    >>> yourself
    >>> than to have to go through years of therapy to cure your despondencies.

    >> Why bother. I can just visit San Francisco during Oracle OpenWorld...
    >>

    > Where you can see that Linux is in fourth place in terms of the server
    > market and last place on the desktop.

    ....you are in no position to whine about the dellusions of others.

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  13. Re: How's this for market share?

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-07-01, amicus_curious wrote:
    >>
    >> "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> Why bother. I can just visit San Francisco during Oracle OpenWorld...
    >>>

    >> Where you can see that Linux is in fourth place in terms of the server
    >> market and last place on the desktop.

    > ...you are in no position to whine about the dellusions of others.

    Where do you see any evidence of my "whining"? I am backing the clear
    winner. You are the one with such a Sad Sack and a complaint about how evil
    Microsoft must be to be able to continue to thrive.

  14. Re: How's this for market share?

    Alan Baker wrote:

    > In article <4a339$48694eb9$31165@news.teranews.com>,
    > "Edwin" wrote:
    >
    >> "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    >> > Computers used for one specialized purpose choose free OS

    >> You think computers choose their own OS?

    > Pardon the poor sentence.
    >
    > Developers building omputers used for one specialized purpose choose
    > free OS.

    If you have a few spare computers laying around... have a look at MOSIX and
    build your own SSI cluster. I'm not a developer of any measure, but I do
    appreciate the power of Linux on a cluster of PC's.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  15. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Jerry McBride" wrote in message
    > Alan Baker wrote:
    >
    >> In article <4a339$48694eb9$31165@news.teranews.com>,
    >> "Edwin" wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    >>> You think computers choose their own OS?

    >> Pardon the poor sentence.
    >>
    >> Developers building omputers used for one specialized purpose choose
    >> free OS.

    > If you have a few spare computers laying around... have a look at MOSIX
    > and
    > build your own SSI cluster. I'm not a developer of any measure, but I do
    > appreciate the power of Linux on a cluster of PC's.

    Alan can't do that. The pinnacle of his technical skills is finding the
    power button and pushing it.

  16. Re: How's this for market share?

    "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > In article <8ffbc$4869510d$1182@news.teranews.com>,
    > "Edwin" wrote:
    >
    >> "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    >> > Run lots of not bundled software, of course.

    >> MS-Office, Windows, other assorted MS software.

    > I do run Office, but I don't use Windows or anything else.

    Yes, you're a Microsoft thrall.

    >> > No, actually, you couldn't.

    >> Sure you could.

    > LOL

    Thanks for agreeing.

    >> > LOL

    >> Yet another non-answer from Alan Baker.

    > OK. I'll give it more of an answer than it deserves:
    >
    > No, you can't.

    I knew you had to let that lie out.

    Pop quiz, Alan: Which program has won more Academy Awards for the people
    who use it, Avid or Final Cut Pro?

  17. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article ,
    "Edwin" wrote:

    > "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > > In article <8ffbc$4869510d$1182@news.teranews.com>,
    > > "Edwin" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Alan Baker" wrote in message

    > >> MS-Office, Windows, other assorted MS software.

    > > I do run Office, but I don't use Windows or anything else.

    > Yes, you're a Microsoft thrall.

    LOL

    > >> Sure you could.

    > > LOL

    > Thanks for agreeing.

    LOL

    > >> Yet another non-answer from Alan Baker.

    > > OK. I'll give it more of an answer than it deserves:
    > >
    > > No, you can't.

    > I knew you had to let that lie out.
    >
    > Pop quiz, Alan: Which program has won more Academy Awards for the people
    > who use it, Avid or Final Cut Pro?

    I don't know. Pop quiz: If Avid has won more, does that automatically
    translate into "eating Apple's lunch"?

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
    "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
    '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
    'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
    IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
    'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
    on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

  18. Re: How's this for market share?

    In article , "Edwin"
    wrote:

    > Edwin:
    > Pop quiz, Alan: Which program has won more Academy Awards for the
    > people who use it, Avid or Final Cut Pro?

    You think academy awards are won by programs for people? :-D

    --
    Sandman[.net]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3