[News] [SOT] Suffocation of Speech of the Internet - Linux

  1. [News] [SOT] Suffocation of Speech of the Internet

    Swedish bloggers give MEP a kicking over media pluralism

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The committee’s statement on the report proposes other clear assaults on
    | freedom and democracy such as “editorial charters” to stop owners,
    | shareholders and governments interfering with editorial content, and
    | introducing fees for the commercial use of user-generated content.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...dia_pluralism/

    P2P does not harm networks

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However engineers reading the document here said that the whole idea is bogus
    | as blockages in one area can be easily re-routed. The congestion Bell claims
    | to be suffering from is nothing and its figures completely dispel the myth
    | that P2P is crushing the internet.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-harm-networks

    DOJ sinks another EliteTorrent admin

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Daniel Dove, 26, was convicted by a jury on separate counts of "conspiracy
    | and felony copyright infringement," the US Department of Justice announced
    | today.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...uilty_verdict/

    Allowing people to find Linux ISOs is now a crime? Did the man encourage people
    to share copyrighted material or was a generic service merely run (and abused
    by users)? The intellectual monopolies punish the medium rather than those who
    infringe.

    Related:

    BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
    | his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
    | wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
    | is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet. *
    `----

    http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-a...to-dump-linux/

    Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
    | to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
    | can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
    | the transmission of future packets. *
    |
    | According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
    | sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
    | from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection. *
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

    Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
    | acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
    | use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
    | are being told nothing about how the network technology works, *
    `----

    http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comca...hey-liars-too/

    Comcast admits paying attendees at FCC hearing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Comcast Corp. admitted yesterday that it paid people to attend a government
    | hearing. Company critics say the freelance attendees were there to crowd them
    | out; Comcast says they were merely saving seats for employees.
    `----

    http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...C_hearing.html

    Comcast stacked Net Neutrality meeting

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...net-neutrality

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Suffocation of Speech of the Internet

    > BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
    >| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
    >| wasn?t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
    >| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.
    > `----
    >
    > http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-a...to-dump-linux/

    Talk about "cruel and unusual" punishment!

    --
    "If you'll excuse me a minute, I'm going to have a cup of coffee."
    - broadcast from Apollo 11's LEM, "Eagle", to Johnson Space Center, Houston

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] Suffocation of Speech of the Internet

  4. Re: [News] [SOT] Suffocation of Speech of the Internet

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 23:32:21 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >> 20 years of community service 'cleaning' registries. :-)

    > Eugh! That's almost as bad as a life sentence cleaning Sweaty's toilet.

    Based on Roy Schestowitz's name popping up in Google, I doubt the sweaty
    one would even hire him to clean his toilets.

    The thought of coming home to find Roy Schestowitz making love to the
    toilet bowl would be more than enough to scare the sweaty one away.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread