What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs? - Linux

This is a discussion on What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs? - Linux ; "raylopez99" wrote... >I have not been able to get a straight answer to this, despite almost > a year of trying. > > Maybe three's the charm? > > Here goes again... > > I have an old machine, not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    "raylopez99" wrote...
    >I have not been able to get a straight answer to this, despite almost
    > a year of trying.
    >
    > Maybe three's the charm?
    >
    > Here goes again...
    >
    > I have an old machine, not my main machine, nearly in mothballs that
    > somebody uses on occasion to surf the net and print a letter on a
    > recent model HP inkjet using OpenOffice as the word processor
    > program. The machine is running on Windows 2000. The machine is an
    > Intel Pentium II, about 200 MHz clock, with about 500 MB RAM (or maybe
    > it's 225, I upgraded it but forgot what it was, but I'm pretty sure
    > it's 512 MB). The C: hard drive is only 2 GB large--the only one for
    > the OS. This was a popular configuration in the mid to late 90s so
    > I'm sure a lot of these machines exist in the world, so somebody must
    > have loaded Linux on one of them.
    >
    > The machine has no DVD, only a CD reader. It has a late 90s but
    > popular video card, forget the brand.
    >
    > What Linux distro to use for this configuration? I can, using another
    > PC, download a distro, but then I would have to burn it onto a CD or
    > CDs, so I would rather not do that--that is, I would rather get or buy
    > a Linux distro that is already burnt, in proper order, onto labeled
    > CDs to make installation easier.

    Look at Knoppix and Ubuntu. Both have "live CD" distributions that you can test
    by running directly from the CD. You'll have to check if either or both will
    send you a CD.

    I ran Knoppix on my old P3-550 and on an HP laptop.

  2. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits onCDs?

    * Mark Hobley:

    >> Why? Windows 2000 runs out of the box on a Pentium 133 with 64MB.

    > Hmmm, I'm sure Microsoft have changed their minds, since I last looked at this,
    > but you appear to be right. That is what their website now says.

    It's also what it said even before Windows2000 came out and is
    completely in line with support of older hardware in former Windows
    releases.

    Benjamin

  3. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    On Jun 30, 2:31*pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:

    > You will have to go into more detail as to what you expect
    > the user of that machine to do:
    >
    > - Browsing?

    YES

    > - Email?

    YES

    > - Flash Gameplay (e.g., ArmorGames, Miniclip)?
    > - Native Gameplay (e.g., Halo, UT, Quake)?
    > - Spreadsheets?

    NO

    > - Documentation?

    OpenOffice or Word or even Google Apps.

    > - Software development?
    > * * C/C++?
    > * * .NET?
    > * * Java?
    > * * Other?

    Hell no! I doubt you can compile a decent console mode program on PII
    without pulling out your hairs, once you're used to a modern multicore
    machine.

    > You can tryhttp://www.damnsmalllinux.org/if you just want to
    > experiment; it's one of the lighter-weight distros, occupying
    > only 50MB of disk space.

    Yes, I got the distro for this. Like you said, the problem is linux
    evolves over time, and I'm trying to install a 2008 OS (linux) on a
    1996 machine.

    RL

  4. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    use the ATARI. you can get one for like 50 cents at a swap meet.

  5. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits onCDs?

    * Psyc Geek:
    > use the ATARI. you can get one for like 50 cents at a swap meet.

    Really? The last ATARIs I've seen weren't that cheap any more (at least
    if the condition was somewhat good) as they seem to become collector's
    items.

    Benjamin

  6. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 07:41:29 -0700 (PDT)
    <05d155f1-76b1-4ff8-8154-36df7ff760c4@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Jun 30, 2:31*pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You will have to go into more detail as to what you expect
    >> the user of that machine to do:
    >>
    >> - Browsing?

    > YES

    OK. IE7 or Firefox. IE8 is pending, AIUI.
    Opera, Epiphany, and Galeon are also available,
    depending on OS.

    >> - Email?

    > YES

    OK. Bat, Eudora, Evolution, balsa, kmail, in no particular order.

    >> - Flash Gameplay (e.g., ArmorGames, Miniclip)?
    >> - Native Gameplay (e.g., Halo, UT, Quake)?
    >> - Spreadsheets?

    > NO

    OK. Be advised disney.com requires Flash 9.

    >> - Documentation?

    > OpenOffice or Word or even Google Apps.

    OK, Microsoft Word, Write, Word Perfect, emacs, kate.

    >> - Software development?
    >> * * C/C++?
    >> * * .NET?
    >> * * Java?
    >> * * Other?

    > Hell no! I doubt you can compile a decent console mode program on PII
    > without pulling out your hairs, once you're used to a modern multicore
    > machine.

    A point, that.

    >> You can tryhttp://www.damnsmalllinux.org/if you just want to
    >> experiment; it's one of the lighter-weight distros, occupying
    >> only 50MB of disk space.
    >>

    > Yes, I got the distro for this. Like you said, the problem is linux
    > evolves over time, and I'm trying to install a 2008 OS (linux) on a
    > 1996 machine.

    And you've *still* not said why you specifically wanted to do this,
    as opposed to reinstalling Win2k. (Perhaps I've missed it, but
    why are you switching operating systems?)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  7. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> OpenOffice or Word or even Google Apps.

    > OK, Microsoft Word, Write, Word Perfect, emacs, kate.

    You forgot abiword

    | in |good to you so far... |

  8. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 07:41:29 -0700 (PDT)
    > <05d155f1-76b1-4ff8-8154-36df7ff760c4@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>:
    >> On Jun 30, 2:31*pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> You will have to go into more detail as to what you expect
    >>> the user of that machine to do:
    >>>
    >>> - Browsing?

    >> YES

    > OK. IE7 or Firefox. IE8 is pending, AIUI.
    > Opera, Epiphany, and Galeon are also available,
    > depending on OS.

    Emacs.

    >>> - Email?

    >> YES

    > OK. Bat, Eudora, Evolution, balsa, kmail, in no particular order.

    Emacs

    >>> - Flash Gameplay (e.g., ArmorGames, Miniclip)?
    >>> - Native Gameplay (e.g., Halo, UT, Quake)?
    >>> - Spreadsheets?

    >> NO

    > OK. Be advised disney.com requires Flash 9.
    >

    >>> - Documentation?

    >> OpenOffice or Word or even Google Apps.

    > OK, Microsoft Word, Write, Word Perfect, emacs, kate.

    Emacs

    >>> - Software development?
    >>> * * C/C++?
    >>> * * .NET?
    >>> * * Java?
    >>> * * Other?

    >> Hell no! I doubt you can compile a decent console mode program on PII
    >> without pulling out your hairs, once you're used to a modern multicore
    >> machine.

    > A point, that.

    Emacs

    --
    XP can't be selling well, or we'd have the wintrolls crowing about it all
    over the advocacy newsgroups.

  9. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    If you need something that will fit on a CD, get CPM. It was before
    DOS, and Windows.
    It works great. Lots of keyboard shortcuts. great manuals. it just
    works. no graphics,
    but hey, what can i say.

  10. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    On Jul 2, 4:07*pm, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > * Psyc Geek:
    >
    > > use the ATARI. *you can get one for like 50 cents at a swap meet.

    > Really? The last ATARIs I've seen weren't that cheap any more (at least
    > if the condition was somewhat good) as they seem to become collector's
    > items.
    >
    > Benjamin

    i did not say WORKING ...

  11. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:22:11 +0100
    :
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> OpenOffice or Word or even Google Apps.

    >> OK, Microsoft Word, Write, Word Perfect, emacs, kate.

    > You forgot abiword

    So I did; there's also another one whose name escapes me,
    but it has something to do with synaptics. (There is
    a ksynaptics but I don't think that's a word processor.
    If there's one thing I don't like about FLOSS, it's the
    colorful but hard to find naming conventions. ;-) Not
    that Word is much better; googling on "word" won't find
    word processors.)

    And of course there's humble vi, which isn't quite a word
    processor but which is definitely more powerful than Wordpad,
    though it may not have Wordpad's font display capabilities. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  12. Re: What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:43:37 -0700 (PDT)
    <3b2ba067-7a61-4ac4-be58-9ed8e0a4b626@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>:
    > If you need something that will fit on a CD, get CPM. It was before
    > DOS, and Windows.
    > It works great. Lots of keyboard shortcuts. great manuals. it just
    > works. no graphics,
    > but hey, what can i say.

    Does it work on a Pentium IV? :-) There was a CP/M86 floating about at
    one point.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    People think that libraries are safe. They're wrong. They have ideas.
    (Also occasionally ectoplasmic slime and cute librarians.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2