[News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed - Linux

  1. [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    Amarok 2: Artwork is Back

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My last couple of weeks has been spent focusing on getting cover art back up
    | to scratch in Amarok 2. Cover art really adds a lot of spice and colour into
    | the UI of the application, especially now that we are showing the artwork in
    | the collection browser, context view and playlist. For those of you who are
    | supremely organised, the collection scanner will now trawl through
    | directories and try to pick up images it thinks are relevant to the songs
    | which are being scanned.
    `----

    http://www.sebruiz.net/337

    Ripping Videos for MythTV with AcidRip

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MythTV is an open source DVR solution that supports recording of live video
    | broadcast and playback of recorded material. It also supports the direct
    | import of DVD content. But if you’ve got multiple DVD players spread across
    | different computer systems and a need to control disk space usage on your
    | MythTV backend, AcidRip offers a more flexible option.
    |
    | DVD’s contain a number of files, the most important of which to the average
    | home user are the transport stream files which contain the video and audio
    | content. MythTV and its video plugin, MythVideo, will playback video in a
    | variety of file formats.
    `----

    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/6326

    Killer applications for Linux. Both of them.

    Recent:

    One small step for Amarok?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’m very excited to announce that the first Amarok->Cloud transfer has taken
    | place. Just moments ago, for the first time ever (as far as I’m aware), a
    | track was sent up into the Cloud from a desktop media player, escaping the
    | local collection prison. This track shed the chains of limited accessibility,
    | and is no longer doomed to obscurity, lost in an sql database in my home
    | directory.
    `----

    http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...or-Amarok.html

    Amarok 2: Visual Changelog

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Amarok multimedia player is one of the best programs of its kind not only for
    | Linux but for any operating system nowadays. It has been created as a KDE
    | component. Most people hoped to have Amarok 2.0 included in KDE 4.0, which
    | hasn’t happened. It’s hard to predict if it finds its way into KDE 4.1
    | stable, but it’s still worth taking a look at the current progress of this
    | great multimedia player
    `----

    http://polishlinux.org/kde/amarok-2-visual-changelog/

    Amarok 2 Gets Music Video Support!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | over the last few days I've been working on a video applet for Amarok 2,
    | allowing you to view music videos directly in Amarok's new context view.
    `----

    http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...-Support!.html

    What Makes Amarok the Most Popular Audio Player on Linux?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This article lists 7 reasons for which I think this is the most loved audio
    | player. I preferred to leave out the more technical ones, and just focus on
    | the highlights.
    `----

    http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/20...lar-audio.html

    Amarok 2 Alpha - An Early Look at What's Going On

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Currently, it's very obvious Amarok 2 is in the alpha phase. The major thing
    | that changed is the interface, which looks nicer and more modern now, with
    | the collection browser located in the left and the playlist itself located to
    | the right side of Amarok's window.
    `----

    http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/20...-at-whats.html

    Related:

    Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
    | Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
    | after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software. *
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

    LinuxMCE 1.1 Released -- Now Runs KDE

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There's also word that LinuxMCE, since it works so well with the
    | KDE desktop environment, that the guys at the KDE project are
    | seriously considering integrating LinuxMCE into their upcoming
    | 4.0 release. Now this is HUGE! If combined in the KDE 4.0 release,
    | LinuxMCE + Kubuntu would be a free, open-source competitor/aternative
    | to Windows Vista Ultimate.
    `----

    http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3891/linuxmce_1_1

  2. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:55:43 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Amarok 2: Artwork is Back
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| My last couple of weeks has been spent focusing on getting cover art back up
    >| to scratch in Amarok 2. Cover art really adds a lot of spice and colour into
    >| the UI of the application, especially now that we are showing the artwork in
    >| the collection browser, context view and playlist. For those of you who are

    Wow!
    iTunes and other software has been doing that for years and doesn't have
    the bloat, instability and horrid UI of AmaCROCK...

    That program just plain sucks.

    Of course Rick with his mp3 collection consisting of 20 titles loves it.

    Try it with several 1000 titles and see what happens.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:38:39 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:55:43 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Amarok 2: Artwork is Back
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| My last couple of weeks has been spent focusing on getting cover art
    >>back up | to scratch in Amarok 2. Cover art really adds a lot of spice
    >>and colour into | the UI of the application, especially now that we are
    >>showing the artwork in | the collection browser, context view and
    >>playlist. For those of you who are

    > Wow!
    > iTunes and other software has been doing that for years and doesn't have
    > the bloat, instability and horrid UI of AmaCROCK...

    There is no app named AmaCROCK in the PCLOS or Ubuntu repositories.

    > That program just plain sucks.
    >
    > Of course Rick with his mp3 collection consisting of 20 titles loves it.
    >
    > Try it with several 1000 titles and see what happens.

    I don't think I have several thousand tracks on all of my CDs and mp3s
    combined.

    BTW, if you don't like the software, don't use it.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On 2008-06-27, Rick wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:38:39 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:55:43 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Amarok 2: Artwork is Back
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>back up | to scratch in Amarok 2. Cover art really adds a lot of spice
    >>>and colour into | the UI of the application, especially now that we are
    >>>showing the artwork in | the collection browser, context view and
    >>>playlist. For those of you who are

    >> Wow!
    >> iTunes and other software has been doing that for years and doesn't have
    >> the bloat, instability and horrid UI of AmaCROCK...

    > There is no app named AmaCROCK in the PCLOS or Ubuntu repositories.
    >

    >> That program just plain sucks.
    >>
    >> Of course Rick with his mp3 collection consisting of 20 titles loves it.
    >>
    >> Try it with several 1000 titles and see what happens.

    I have several thousand.

    iTunes is the only app that chokes.

    Amarok does just fine.

    > I don't think I have several thousand tracks on all of my CDs and mp3s
    > combined.
    >
    > BTW, if you don't like the software, don't use it.

    --

    The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
    Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.

  5. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:04:15 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-06-27, Rick wrote:

    >>> Wow!
    >>> iTunes and other software has been doing that for years and doesn't
    >>> have the bloat, instability and horrid UI of AmaCROCK...

    >> There is no app named AmaCROCK in the PCLOS or Ubuntu repositories.
    >>

    >>> That program just plain sucks.
    >>>
    >>> Of course Rick with his mp3 collection consisting of 20 titles loves
    >>> it.
    >>>
    >>> Try it with several 1000 titles and see what happens.

    > I have several thousand.
    >
    > iTunes is the only app that chokes.
    >
    > Amarok does just fine.

    oh, oh, oh.. why that just can't be true... just ask flatfarb and Hadron.

    >> I don't think I have several thousand tracks on all of my CDs and mp3s
    >> combined.
    >>
    >> BTW, if you don't like the software, don't use it.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    ____/ JEDIDIAH on Friday 27 June 2008 22:04 : \____

    > On 2008-06-27, Rick wrote:

    >>> Wow!
    >>> iTunes and other software has been doing that for years and doesn't have
    >>> the bloat, instability and horrid UI of AmaCROCK...

    >> There is no app named AmaCROCK in the PCLOS or Ubuntu repositories.
    >>

    >>> That program just plain sucks.
    >>>
    >>> Of course Rick with his mp3 collection consisting of 20 titles loves it.
    >>>
    >>> Try it with several 1000 titles and see what happens.

    > I have several thousand.
    >
    > iTunes is the only app that chokes.
    >
    > Amarok does just fine.

    Mine too, but the Munchkins lie like they breathe, so there's no need to rebut
    really.

    >> I don't think I have several thousand tracks on all of my CDs and mp3s
    >> combined.
    >>
    >> BTW, if you don't like the software, don't use it.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
    Mem: 515500k total, 447324k used, 68176k free, 636k buffers

  7. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    Rick writes:

    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:04:15 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> There is no app named AmaCROCK in the PCLOS or Ubuntu repositories.

    >> I have several thousand.
    >>
    >> iTunes is the only app that chokes.
    >>
    >> Amarok does just fine.

    > oh, oh, oh.. why that just can't be true... just ask flatfarb and
    > Hadron.

    Dont tell lies Rick. I told you before that the latest imported my
    thousands of titles ok. The UI and playlist handling is still awful.

    --
    "I hate Linux and Linux advocacy I hate Linux and Linux
    advocacy I hate Linux and Linux advocacy "

  8. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:04:15 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-06-27, Rick wrote:

    >>> Wow!
    >>> iTunes and other software has been doing that for years and doesn't have
    >>> the bloat, instability and horrid UI of AmaCROCK...

    >> There is no app named AmaCROCK in the PCLOS or Ubuntu repositories.
    >>

    >>> That program just plain sucks.
    >>>
    >>> Of course Rick with his mp3 collection consisting of 20 titles loves it.
    >>>
    >>> Try it with several 1000 titles and see what happens.

    > I have several thousand.
    >
    > iTunes is the only app that chokes.

    Sure it does.
    The most popular music application on earth has problems but some slopware
    that should be at version 0.2 instead of 2.0 doesn't.

    > Amarok does just fine.

    Not on my system it doesn't
    It sucks in fact.

    You sure seem to have a lot of problems with Windows.
    Typical of Linux advocates it seems.

    >> I don't think I have several thousand tracks on all of my CDs and mp3s
    >> combined.
    >>
    >> BTW, if you don't like the software, don't use it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:29:15 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> I have several thousand.
    >>>
    >>> iTunes is the only app that chokes.
    >>>
    >>> Amarok does just fine.

    >> oh, oh, oh.. why that just can't be true... just ask flatfarb and
    >> Hadron.

    > Dont tell lies Rick. I told you before that the latest imported my
    > thousands of titles ok. The UI and playlist handling is still awful.

    So, you are saying Amarok is just fine? No I didn't think so. So where is
    my lie?

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    Rick writes:

    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:29:15 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> oh, oh, oh.. why that just can't be true... just ask flatfarb and
    >>> Hadron.

    >> Dont tell lies Rick. I told you before that the latest imported my
    >> thousands of titles ok. The UI and playlist handling is still awful.

    > So, you are saying Amarok is just fine? No I didn't think so. So where is
    > my lie?

    Amarok is not fine. Why would I say it's fine? It's got an awful UI and
    playlist handling is terrible. Radio feeds do not work properly
    either. I use it because I like it using my mysql db to store info.

    --
    "Your Ref header shows bt.com. The "kustomkomputer" troll nymshifted again?"
    -- William Poaster boring people to death with his header compulsion in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  11. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:57:16 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> Dont tell lies Rick. I told you before that the latest imported my
    >>> thousands of titles ok. The UI and playlist handling is still awful.

    >> So, you are saying Amarok is just fine? No I didn't think so. So where
    >> is my lie?

    > Amarok is not fine. Why would I say it's fine? It's got an awful UI and
    > playlist handling is terrible. Radio feeds do not work properly either.
    > I use it because I like it using my mysql db to store info.

    Follow the statements:

    BTW, the UI is awful ... in your opinion. Others may share that opinion,
    but that is all it is. As for the radio feeds. Some work for me, some
    don't, like other applications.

    --
    Rick

    Rick writes:

    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:57:16 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> So, you are saying Amarok is just fine? No I didn't think so. So where
    >>> is my lie?

    >> Amarok is not fine. Why would I say it's fine? It's got an awful UI and
    >> playlist handling is terrible. Radio feeds do not work properly either.
    >> I use it because I like it using my mysql db to store info.

    > Follow the statements:

    > BTW, the UI is awful ... in your opinion. Others may share that
    > opinion,

    Yes. In my opinion. I certainly wouldn't score it based on yours.

    > but that is all it is. As for the radio feeds. Some work for me, some
    > don't, like other applications.

    No. Not like other applications. You're a sycophantic fan boy. You need
    to grow up and smell the roses.

  13. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:45:32 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> Amarok is not fine. Why would I say it's fine? It's got an awful UI
    >>> and playlist handling is terrible. Radio feeds do not work properly
    >>> either. I use it because I like it using my mysql db to store info.

    >> Follow the statements:

    >> BTW, the UI is awful ... in your opinion. Others may share that
    >> opinion,

    > Yes. In my opinion. I certainly wouldn't score it based on yours.

    Doesn't matter. Many people think Amarok's UI is fine.

    >> but that is all it is. As for the radio feeds. Some work for me, some
    >> don't, like other applications.

    > No. Not like other applications.

    Yes, like other applications.

    > You're a sycophantic fan boy. You need
    > to grow up and smell the roses.

    Who are you to tel me that I don't like the software the software that I
    do like? Who are you to tel me that the software that does work for me
    doesn't work for me?

    When will you realize there are bugs in everything, and most probably
    need to be fixed? But because Linux/OSS/FOSS has bugs does NOT mean it
    sucks.

    And, BTW, I moved FROM OS X. I could use Windows, or the Mac. After
    comparison, I CHOSE Linux based systems.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    Rick writes:

    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:45:32 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> Follow the statements:

    >>> BTW, the UI is awful ... in your opinion. Others may share that
    >>> opinion,

    >> Yes. In my opinion. I certainly wouldn't score it based on yours.

    > Doesn't matter. Many people think Amarok's UI is fine.
    >

    >>> but that is all it is. As for the radio feeds. Some work for me, some
    >>> don't, like other applications.

    >> No. Not like other applications.

    > Yes, like other applications.
    >
    >> You're a sycophantic fan boy. You need
    >> to grow up and smell the roses.

    > Who are you to tel me that I don't like the software the software that I
    > do like? Who are you to tel me that the software that does work for me
    > doesn't work for me?

    It doesn't work for you. You said so above. It only works with some
    feeds. This is not good. It means you must choose another app for those
    streams. I also doubt very much if it works for you at all.

    --
    "Maybe you can buy a Saturday Night Special and blow your POS brains out."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  15. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:04:46 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> Yes. In my opinion. I certainly wouldn't score it based on yours.

    >> Doesn't matter. Many people think Amarok's UI is fine.

    >>> No. Not like other applications.

    >> Yes, like other applications.
    >>
    >>> You're a sycophantic fan boy. You need to grow up and smell the roses.

    >> Who are you to tel me that I don't like the software the software that
    >> I do like? Who are you to tel me that the software that does work for
    >> me doesn't work for me?

    > It doesn't work for you. You said so above. It only works with some
    > feeds. This is not good. It means you must choose another app for those
    > streams.

    So, it is your position that unless everything works perfectly, it
    doesn't work at all.

    > I also doubt very much if it works for you at all.

    You can doubt anything you want. I am the one that uses the software on
    my computer.

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    Rick writes:

    > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:04:46 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> Doesn't matter. Many people think Amarok's UI is fine.

    >>> Yes, like other applications.

    >>> Who are you to tel me that I don't like the software the software that
    >>> I do like? Who are you to tel me that the software that does work for
    >>> me doesn't work for me?

    >> It doesn't work for you. You said so above. It only works with some
    >> feeds. This is not good. It means you must choose another app for those
    >> streams.

    > So, it is your position that unless everything works perfectly, it
    > doesn't work at all.

    No, that is not my position. My position is that somethings sometimes
    working is simply not good enough.

    >> I also doubt very much if it works for you at all.

    > You can doubt anything you want. I am the one that uses the software on
    > my computer.

    Yes, but you're a proven liar and clueless about consistency and "power
    using" of any kind.

    --
    "I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  17. Re: [News] Amarok and MythTV Improvements, Features Detailed

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:26:56 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> It doesn't work for you. You said so above. It only works with some
    >>> feeds. This is not good. It means you must choose another app for
    >>> those streams.

    >> So, it is your position that unless everything works perfectly, it
    >> doesn't work at all.

    > No, that is not my position. My position is that somethings sometimes
    > working is simply not good enough.
    >

    >>> I also doubt very much if it works for you at all.

    >> You can doubt anything you want. I am the one that uses the software on
    >> my computer.

    > Yes, but you're a proven liar and clueless about consistency and "power
    > using" of any kind.

    That's funny coming from a liar like you.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread