Microsoft clueless about the standardisation process, do not regret committee

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft admits they were a bit clueless about the standardisation process,
| but they do not regret having stuffed the committees at the same time.

They have prior experience, as Bruce Perens wrote yesterday, but they try to
act dumb, knowing what they have done (corrupted ISO).

Has OOXML Broken the British Standards Institution?

,----[ Quote ]
| That the BSI, long the quintessence of standards in this country, should see
| itself dragged through the courts over something as apparently minor as a
| document standard, is truly an extraordinary development. But of course it is
| not a minor issue: at stake is the question of how something as central to
| technology and business as standards should be decided. Unless people have
| complete confidence in the process, the end-result will be deemed worthless –
| truly, little more than a “rubber-stamping”. * * *
| A good start along the road of bolstering confidence would be making the
| standards-setting process completely open, which currently it is not. The
| practice of voting on an open standard behind closed doors borders is simply
| not justifiable in the age of the Internet and of increasing openness in
| general. And as the UK government loves to remind us: if you have nothing to
| hide, you have nothing to fear.... * * *

Brazil and India lodge appeal against ISO standardisation of OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| The German standards institute, the Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN),
| which despite reported voting irregularities, voted for OOXML, has yet to
| form its opinion on the appeals. A spokesperson told heise online that a
| majority of the steering committee of the IT and Applications Standardisation
| Committee (NIA) has recognised that there has been a serious breach of JTC 1
| and ISO rules. He stated that this is also the position of the DIN as a
| whole. At the same time, however, the conclusion has been reached that the
| rules for the fast-track procedure need to be amended, as documents of the
| scope of ISO/IEC 29500 can hardly be dealt with within the current framework.
| According to the spokesperson, the DIN has initiated corresponding
| discussions in Geneva.

Denmark Backs Up the OOXML Outrage

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, South Africa and Brazil have lodged formal appeals with the ISO,
| while several other countries are battling it out against their national
| standards bodies via their national governments. Jacob Holmblad — the Dansk
| Standard Director/ISO Vice President — told Computerworld that he will be in
| Geneva next week, and expects to see the issue addressed while he is there.
| Something tells us, however, that it will be a long, long time before we
| finally see the OOXML debacle truly addressed.

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
| [...]
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

| In a memo sent following his last meeting as head of the working group on
| WG1, which is handling Microsoft’s application to make the Word format an ISO
| standard as ECMA 376, outgoing Governor Martin Bryan (above), an expert on
| SGML and XML, accused the company of stacking his group.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIYftbU4xAY3RXLo4RAn4dAJ92wOgJjmEjOTqjkR+vgk +2ny3ocACgh/Rx