IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2 - Linux

This is a discussion on IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2 - Linux ; * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo: > In article , > Rick wrote: > >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:57:28 -0400, Ezekiel wrote: >> >> > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9970262-16.html >> > >> > >> > IBM won't open source ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

  1. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    > In article ,
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:57:28 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9970262-16.html
    >> >

    >> > IBM won't open source DB2.
    >> >
    >> > It was therefore no surprise to see IBM quickly follow up ZDNet's
    >> > article with a blunt statement: "IBM has no plans to open source DB2."
    >> >

    >> > ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    >> Are you trying to make some kind of point?

    > He not only is trying, he succeeded. Maybe you should read the earlier
    > discussion of DB2 on this group from a few days ago?

    What is his point, then, Tim?

    That someone floated at trial-balloon as a leak?

    Zeke is a troll, and a somewhat bad one (except he succeeds well with
    Rick) at that.

    --
    Fortune finishes the great quotations, #12
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, write the instructions.

  2. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:07:40 -0400
    <48892$486145fd$7224@news.teranews.com>:

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:23:22 -0500
    >> :

    >>> Are you trying to make some kind of point?
    >>>

    >> One can guess. Apparently Ezekiel is of the opinion
    >> that closed-source software such as DB2 is superior
    >> to open-source efforts such as PostgreSQL, MySQL,
    >> Hypersonic, or Cloudscape.

    > I'm not familiar with Hypersonic

    Light-duty SQL data storage/retrieval system shipped with JBoss.
    http://www.hsqldb.org/

    > or Cloudscape.

    Light-duty SQL data storage/retrieval system shipped with what
    is now Glassfish. It appears to have originated from IBM, though
    I'm not certain now. IBM is now sunsetting it, and Apache Derby
    is its new name.
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/

    With my luck the Cloudscape DBMS mutated into Hypersonic,
    just to confuse me. :-)

    > But DB2 is definitely
    > superior to Postgres and MySQL. It's not even close. It's like debating
    > whether a Dodge Neon is comparable to a Mercedes S-class. Sure... the Neon
    > is "cheaper" (as in less expensive) and probably gets better mileage. But
    > nobody will take you seriously if you attempt to claim that the Neon is
    > better than the big Benz.

    Thank you for the analogy, but you're going to have to do
    better than that. :-) Why, exactly, is DB2 superior?
    Be specific.

    [.sigsnip]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  3. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2 (and why a real DB like DB2 is superior)

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:07:40 -0400
    > <48892$486145fd$7224@news.teranews.com>:
    >>
    >> "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in
    >> message
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:23:22 -0500
    >>> :

    >>> One can guess. Apparently Ezekiel is of the opinion
    >>> that closed-source software such as DB2 is superior
    >>> to open-source efforts such as PostgreSQL, MySQL,
    >>> Hypersonic, or Cloudscape.

    >> I'm not familiar with Hypersonic

    > Light-duty SQL data storage/retrieval system shipped with JBoss.
    > http://www.hsqldb.org/
    >
    >> or Cloudscape.

    > Light-duty SQL data storage/retrieval system shipped with what
    > is now Glassfish. It appears to have originated from IBM, though
    > I'm not certain now. IBM is now sunsetting it, and Apache Derby
    > is its new name.
    > http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/cloudscape/
    >
    > With my luck the Cloudscape DBMS mutated into Hypersonic,
    > just to confuse me. :-)
    >
    >> But DB2 is definitely
    >> superior to Postgres and MySQL. It's not even close. It's like debating
    >> whether a Dodge Neon is comparable to a Mercedes S-class. Sure... the
    >> Neon
    >> is "cheaper" (as in less expensive) and probably gets better mileage.
    >> But
    >> nobody will take you seriously if you attempt to claim that the Neon is
    >> better than the big Benz.

    > Thank you for the analogy, but you're going to have to do
    > better than that. :-) Why, exactly, is DB2 superior?
    > Be specific.

    Rather than list various specs that aren't that interesting or important
    (many are usually overkill anyway) let's look at a real issue that faces
    businesses and organizations. Out in the real world it is unheard of for a
    large organization to simply have "a database" where everything they need
    is magically stored in this one database. It would save these companies
    millions a year if things were like this but it's basically impossible.

    Out in the real world the customer's database is a core component of their
    IT infrastructure. But a customers "data" is highly distributed. Their IT
    infrastructure contains dozens, often hundreds to 'data sources' and it all
    needs to interface with their database.

    Databases can be "federated" so that very large and very complex queries
    can be run across multiple data sources. In some fantasy world all data
    simply exists in one database so this would be trivial. In the real world
    data is distributed across many sources, in many different formats and in
    systems from many different vendors.

    DB2 supports proper federation via Information Integrator so a complex SQL
    query can be issued across multiple datasets in multiple formats in
    products from multiple vendors.

    Here's a list of the couple of dozen different data sources that can be
    federated with DB2.

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg27008401

    Does MySql support federation? Sure. as long as you limit yourself to only
    connecting to another MySql database.

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/6.0/...sagenotes.html

    The following items indicate features that the FEDERATED storage engine
    does and does not support:

    The remote server must be a MySQL server. Support by FEDERATED for other
    database engines may be added in the future.

    Businesses don't select one database over another because one database can
    access 32 petabytes of diskspace and another can only access 16 petabytes.
    Real business and real organizations (ie - Not some guy running a pizza
    shop) select a database based on how well it fits into their enterprise.
    And their enterprise is a complicated mess of data that lives in
    dozens/hundreds of different applications.

    I won't even go into scalability. And I don't mean some lab contrived
    scalability that's the equivalent of using MIPS (meaningless instructions
    per second) to measure the performance of a computer. In complex real world
    situations DB2 kicks the snot out of MySQL. When it comes to product
    maturity, this little company named IBM (who "might" have some experience
    with databases) has been working on DB2 for twice as long as something like
    MySQL has been in existence.

    When you see some lame-o news story from Schestowitz on how some car maker
    is now using MySQL keep this in mind. This company will use MySQL somewhere
    in their organization for a niche purpose. But somewhere in this company
    there is some central place where *everything* gets consolidated and all of
    the data is collected. It's this central heart of their IT system that runs
    something like DB2.

  4. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2 (and why a real DB like DB2 is superior)

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:41:59 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > When you see some lame-o news story from Schestowitz on how some car maker
    > is now using MySQL keep this in mind. This company will use MySQL somewhere
    > in their organization for a niche purpose. But somewhere in this company
    > there is some central place where *everything* gets consolidated and all of
    > the data is collected. It's this central heart of their IT system that runs
    > something like DB2.

    DB2 = Elephant Gun.
    MySQL = Pea Shooter.

    Use the proper tool for the application.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2 (and why a real DB like DB2 is superior)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:54:48 -0400
    :
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:41:59 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> When you see some lame-o news story from Schestowitz on how some car maker
    >> is now using MySQL keep this in mind. This company will use MySQL somewhere
    >> in their organization for a niche purpose. But somewhere in this company
    >> there is some central place where *everything* gets consolidated and all of
    >> the data is collected. It's this central heart of their IT system that runs
    >> something like DB2.

    > DB2 = Elephant Gun.
    > MySQL = Pea Shooter.
    >
    > Use the proper tool for the application.

    And MS SQL Server? Is it a thrown rock or a howitzer?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  6. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2 (and why a real DB like DB2 is superior)

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:28:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:54:48 -0400
    > :
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:41:59 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >>> When you see some lame-o news story from Schestowitz on how some car maker
    >>> is now using MySQL keep this in mind. This company will use MySQL somewhere
    >>> in their organization for a niche purpose. But somewhere in this company
    >>> there is some central place where *everything* gets consolidated and all of
    >>> the data is collected. It's this central heart of their IT system that runs
    >>> something like DB2.

    >> DB2 = Elephant Gun.
    >> MySQL = Pea Shooter.
    >>
    >> Use the proper tool for the application.
    >>

    > And MS SQL Server? Is it a thrown rock or a howitzer?

    It depends.
    If you are cataloging a CD collection is it better to use DB2 or MYSQL?

    Please stop bringing minutia into the debate.
    It's getting tiresome replying to your obvious time wasting tactics.

    IOW deal on a higher level.
    Assume a few things for a change.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    Rick writes:

    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:55:32 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:toydnctQAcaau_zVnZ2dnUVZ_tzinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> He posted an article with no explanation or comment.

    >> Exactly what part of "IBM says no to open sourcing DB2" do you find so
    >> confusing that it requires explanation?
    >>

    > OK.. so IBM said they weren't open sourcing DB2. So what?

    Is Rick now apologising for fellow "advocates" telling lies about IBM's
    intentions? Wonders never cease!

    --
    "Of course, by the time Gnash gets its act together, we'll
    probably all have to start all over again with Silverlight

  8. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    Rick writes:

    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:11:51 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:OIWdnQPkzJtuqfzVnZ2dnUVZ_qjinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> So you assume I saw the post and or/read the thread.

    >> It's remarkable how you *never* see any of the 100's of posts that
    >> Schestowitz makes where he blabs on about something completely unrelated
    >> or makes posts with no commentary.

    > I didn't say I haven't seen Roy's posts. What makes you think I read
    > every one? In reality, I read very few of them.
    >
    > >But the 2-3 threads that I start each
    >> week get a response from you with either a "So what?" or "He posted an
    >> article with no explanation or comment."

    > Well, when you post something, maybe you should make some sort of comment
    > so people have some sort of idea what point you are trying to make.

    What part of IBM not open sourcing DB2 escapes you Rick?

    I was tempted to type "Ricktard" there, but, well, you just don't really
    deserve it since you really dont seem to realise how stupid you appear.

  9. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2 (and why a real DB like DB2 is superior)

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:18:40 -0400
    <1gqluhoi37rlz.3zfq5mfnj3q6.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:28:09 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:54:48 -0400
    >> :

    >>> DB2 = Elephant Gun.
    >>> MySQL = Pea Shooter.
    >>>
    >>> Use the proper tool for the application.
    >>>

    >> And MS SQL Server? Is it a thrown rock or a howitzer?

    > It depends.
    > If you are cataloging a CD collection is it better to use DB2 or MYSQL?
    >
    > Please stop bringing minutia into the debate.
    > It's getting tiresome replying to your obvious time wasting tactics.
    >
    > IOW deal on a higher level.
    > Assume a few things for a change.

    The assumption is that MS SQL is a howitzer, then;
    certainly it is designed to be, though one might
    quibble as to whether it blows the opposition out
    of the water -- or just blows up. ;-)

    Of course, there's an interesting set of issues regarding
    standardization -- but never mind that, MS SQL is the standard
    anyway, it's just that the ISO/ANSI committees don't know
    it yet. ;-)

    In any event, I believe MySql is underpowered, but reliable
    enough (certainly $EMPLOYER uses it in some areas).
    PostgreSQL is very reliable though I don't know how it
    compares to Oracle, DB2, or MS SQL Server, and I'm probably
    the only one who uses it at all.

    Part of the issue is the sheer resources of hardware
    one might need to access hundreds of terabytes of data.
    A desktop PC might have no problem with that access if
    one has a proper hardware interface to a RAID rack, but
    there's heftier equipment available.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)

  10. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 05:01:16 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:55:32 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message
    >>> news:toydnctQAcaau_zVnZ2dnUVZ_tzinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Exactly what part of "IBM says no to open sourcing DB2" do you find so
    >>> confusing that it requires explanation?
    >>>

    >> OK.. so IBM said they weren't open sourcing DB2. So what?

    > Is Rick now apologising for fellow "advocates" telling lies about IBM's
    > intentions? Wonders never cease!

    And just lies did the Linux advocats tell regarding IBM possibly Open
    Sourcing DB2?

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    Rick writes:

    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 05:01:16 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> OK.. so IBM said they weren't open sourcing DB2. So what?

    >> Is Rick now apologising for fellow "advocates" telling lies about IBM's
    >> intentions? Wonders never cease!

    > And just lies did the Linux advocats tell regarding IBM possibly Open
    > Sourcing DB2?

    Yes. Just lies, Yoda.

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

  12. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:30:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> Is Rick now apologising for fellow "advocates" telling lies about
    >>> IBM's intentions? Wonders never cease!

    >> And just lies did the Linux advocats tell regarding IBM possibly Open
    >> Sourcing DB2?

    > Yes. Just lies, Yoda.

    And just what lies did the Linux advocats tell regarding IBM possibly Open
    Sourcing DB2?

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2 (and why a real DB like DB2 is superior)

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:54:48 -0400
    > :
    >> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:41:59 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >>> When you see some lame-o news story from Schestowitz on how some car
    >>> maker
    >>> is now using MySQL keep this in mind. This company will use MySQL
    >>> somewhere
    >>> in their organization for a niche purpose. But somewhere in this
    >>> company
    >>> there is some central place where *everything* gets consolidated and
    >>> all of
    >>> the data is collected. It's this central heart of their IT system that
    >>> runs
    >>> something like DB2.

    >> DB2 = Elephant Gun.
    >> MySQL = Pea Shooter.
    >>
    >> Use the proper tool for the application.
    >>

    > And MS SQL Server? Is it a thrown rock or a howitzer?

    It's a gun that is very easy to configure and administer. It's also a
    popular product that's growing at a 17% rate. It fills a nice market
    position for people who need full featured RDMS with minimal administration
    costs. Those who have ridiculously complicated or gigantic database needs
    should certainly use Oracle or DB2. But many small to mid-sized business
    don't need that sort of overkill so SQL server is actually a good solution
    for them.

    > --
    > #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    > Q: "Why is my computer doing that?"
    > A: "Don't do that and you'll be fine."

  14. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    Rick writes:

    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:30:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> And just lies did the Linux advocats tell regarding IBM possibly Open
    >>> Sourcing DB2?

    >> Yes. Just lies, Yoda.

    > And just what lies did the Linux advocats tell regarding IBM possibly Open
    > Sourcing DB2?

    Do your own homework Rick. Google is your friend. If you can figure out
    how to use it.

    --
    "True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been no
    improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office software. It

  15. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    Linonut wrote:

    >Zeke is a troll, and a somewhat bad one (except he succeeds well with
    >Rick) at that.

    It seems to me that he's quite successful and is constantly getting
    rewarded for his behavior. Ghost found it necessary to explain that
    "Linux being used in surveillance systems doesn't mean Linux is bad".
    Why such an obvious thing needs to be explained, I don't know...

  16. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:19:16 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> Yes. Just lies, Yoda.

    >> And just what lies did the Linux advocats tell regarding IBM possibly
    >> Open
    >> Sourcing DB2?

    > Do your own homework Rick. Google is your friend. If you can figure out
    > how to use it.

    Translation: Hadron made an accusation he can't substantiate. Again.

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    On 2008-06-24, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
    >
    > wrote

    >> But DB2 is definitely

    >> superior to Postgres and MySQL. It's not even close. It's like debating
    >> whether a Dodge Neon is comparable to a Mercedes S-class. Sure... the Neon
    >> is "cheaper" (as in less expensive) and probably gets better mileage. But
    >> nobody will take you seriously if you attempt to claim that the Neon is
    >> better than the big Benz.

    > Thank you for the analogy, but you're going to have to do
    > better than that. :-) Why, exactly, is DB2 superior?
    > Be specific.

    Another bloody car analogy... yechhh!

    As far as I'm aware, you choose a database system to suit your purposes.
    DB2 may suit some uses, postgres or MySQL might suit others. They aren't
    cars.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  18. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2 (and why a real DB like DB2 is superior)

    On 2008-06-25, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In any event, I believe MySql is underpowered, but reliable
    > enough (certainly $EMPLOYER uses it in some areas).
    > PostgreSQL is very reliable though I don't know how it
    > compares to Oracle, DB2, or MS SQL Server, and I'm probably
    > the only one who uses it at all.

    Don't feel so alone, Ghost. I've been using PostgreSQL for a decade now.
    I've got a small database of around a million records and it handles
    this perfectly. I've never used it on a database spanning hundreds of
    millions of records though. It would be fun to optimise such a database.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  19. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    Rick writes:

    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:19:16 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> And just what lies did the Linux advocats tell regarding IBM possibly
    >>> Open
    >>> Sourcing DB2?

    >> Do your own homework Rick. Google is your friend. If you can figure out
    >> how to use it.

    > Translation: Hadron made an accusation he can't substantiate. Again.

    Erm no. As I said, as have others, go and Google it up. The fact you are
    too stupid or too lazy to remember a thread from a few days ago is
    neither here nor there to me.

    --
    "We will never allow an event like an election reverse our
    independence, our sovereignty, our sweat and all that we fought

  20. Re: IBM says *NO* to open sourcing DB2

    Hadron wrote:
    > Rick writes:
    >

    >> And just what lies did the Linux advocats tell regarding IBM possibly
    >> Open Sourcing DB2?

    > Do your own homework Rick. Google is your friend. If you can figure out
    > how to use it.
    >
    > --
    > "True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been no
    > improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office software. It
    > just works." -- High Plains Thumper
    > in comp.os.linux.advocacy

    Well, well, finally Hadron admits to the truth by quoting me, how sweet of
    him. The saga continues:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...mpetition_case

    On 27 February 2008, the EU fined Microsoft an additional €899 million
    (US$1.4 billion) for failure to comply with the March 2004 antitrust
    decision. This represents the largest penalty ever imposed in 50 years of
    EU competition policy. This latest decision follows a prior €280.5
    million fine for non-compliance, covering the period from June 21, 2006
    until October 21, 2007.[20] On 9 May 2008 Microsoft lodged an appeal in
    the European Court of First Instance seeking to overturn the €899
    million fine, officially stating that it intended to use the action as a
    "constructive effort to seek clarity from the court".[21]
    --
    HPT