[News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    Do You Ubuntu?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I bought my wife a new acer laptop with vista pre-installed. Within a week,
    | vista was reporting that it was not a genuine copy and I should report to
    | microsoft where I purchased the software.
    |
    | Well I tried to call microsoft to get the issue resolved. Have you tried to
    | get a real person at microsoft? Good luck. Anyway, these are the issues that
    | are driving people away from microsoft.
    |
    | If you would like to see if the grass is really greener outside of
    | Microsoft’s fence, why not give ubuntu a try. You may be glad you did.
    `----

    http://www.thomaskloos.com/?p=1

    As RMS once said, no wonder support is so bad; it's a monopoly. Why ever
    improve security? Why respect freedom as opposed to forcefeed DRM (Vista)? Why
    keep XP alive if people demand it?

    Related:

    A Perception of Lack of Support for Open Source Should Not Stop Adoption of
    Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | People seem hesitant to accept open source because “there is no company
    | behind it” like Microsoft. First of all, from an OS standpoint, support of
    | Linux distros by the companies that publish them has come a long way in the
    | past few years. Companies like Canonical (the distributor of Ubuntu Linux),
    | Novell (SuSE Linux), and Red Hat offer support programs that can assist you
    | with your problem, although these programs vary in pricing and how they are
    | conducted. The point is, however, that despite the fact that the OS is
    | developed, maintained, and improved by an amorphous body of programmers (the *
    | open source community), there are real companies behind the distros that will
    | be there if you have a question or problem. * * * *
    `----

    http://lawtech.wordpress.com/2008/03...x-open-source/

    Microsoft's Genuine Advantage

    ,----[ Snippet ]
    | A lot of managers are afraid to use Open Source Software, because it
    | doesn't come with any support. Of course that isn't true. It is a classical
    | piece of FUD. And then again, how much is support worth?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | MS: * Microsoft Support. Good morning, sir. Can I help you.
    | IC: * Windows displays some strange message on my screen.
    | MS: * What's the message, sir.
    | IC: * ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102; Microsoft
    | Windows is Not Present
    | MS: * May I have your product key, sir.
    | IC: * [gives completely valid product key]
    | MS: * Ok, sir. Can you please reboot your PC?
    | IC: * Will that solve the problem?
    | MS: * Please reboot your PC, sir.
    | IC: * Ok, ok, wait a minute.
    | MS: * Please call us again if you eXPerience any more problems. Have a
    | nice day, sir. [click]
    `----

    http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_b...ofts_genu.html

    I work for MS but even I struggle to get a hot-fix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The problem took 260 minutes to resolve from start to
    | finish and an estimated 90 minutes of Ledgard's time,
    | not including the time it took to write-up his problems...
    | Still, the frustrations experienced by Ledgard give
    | a salutary lesson that Microsoft's online product
    | support is mediocre, at best, and will surely strike
    | a chord with many long-suffering sys admins.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10..._hot-fix_hell/

    The top Linux support weaknesses, then and now

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In 2003, SearchEnterpriseLinux.com visited the Linux support landscape
    | with a list of Linux support weaknesses. A lot has happened over the
    | past four years, as is evident in the success of Red Hat and
    | Novell's subscription-based support models and the meteoric
    | rise of commercial-grade Ubuntu support, to name a few.
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...262974,00.html

    Microsoft Y2K bug circa 1998?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On January 8th of this week my parents received a phone call which they
    | dodged because the call was coming through at 11:00 p.m. at night.
    |
    | The next day they retrieved the voicemail message which was from Microsoft
    | technical support calling me back to see if my problem has been resolved.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I remember in the past year or so when I called Microsoft and the problem was
    | not resolved (BSOD after Microsoft patch) that Microsoft did call me back the
    | next day to see if i made any progress in my little computer crises (which I
    | though was super cool of them... I was really impressed)... *
    | but wait a second .... or wait 315,569,260 seconds ....
    | Microsoft hadn't done this (call me back that is) the first time I called ...
    | and I called many years ago.... but that must have been when I was living at
    | home with my parents..... which is why they called me at my parents phone
    | number. *
    `----

    http://bicbickers.blogspot.com/2008/...irca-1998.html

  2. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:48:57 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Do You Ubuntu?

    Yea.
    About twice a day.
    More if I've eaten Chinese food which seems to give me gas.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Do You Ubuntu?

    > Yea. About twice a day. More if I've eaten Chinese food which
    > seems to give me gas.
    >
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> I bought my wife a new acer laptop with vista
    >>> pre-installed. Within a week, vista was reporting that it
    >>> was not a genuine copy and I should report to microsoft
    >>> where I purchased the software.
    >>>
    >>> Well I tried to call microsoft to get the issue resolved.
    >>> Have you tried to get a real person at microsoft? Good
    >>> luck. Anyway, these are the issues that are driving people
    >>> away from microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> If you would like to see if the grass is really greener
    >>> outside of Microsofts fence, why not give ubuntu a try.
    >>> You may be glad you did.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.thomaskloos.com/?p=1
    >>
    >> As RMS once said, no wonder support is so bad; it's a
    >> monopoly. Why ever improve security? Why respect freedom as
    >> opposed to forcefeed DRM (Vista)? Why keep XP alive if
    >> people demand it?

    True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been
    no improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office
    software. It just works.

    I still find WordPerfect 6 for Windows 3.1 and DOS version
    superior to Microsoft Word. Formatting was easier, ditto with
    table of contents and indexing. WP had intelligence to detect
    patterns of paragraph formatting and intuitively continue them.
    Quattro Pro did a better job of maintaining exterior cell
    references. This is rather sad considering that WP 6 was created
    some 14 or so years ago.

    Microsoft Office 2007 is a dissappointment. I don't like their
    user interface, reminder of Fischer Price intuitiveness and
    appearance.

    --
    HPT

  4. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    And why do you think anyone gives a flying **** about your idiocy, Wendy?,
    you ****ing gormless tit.
    --
    HighPlainsThumper_Rafael_GeorgeHostler_WendyToilet water_RobinTCox_Liar__PhilDaLick_****sucker_Retard _Nymshifter_NetKKKop_Netnanny
    = an idiot!

  5. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    Clogwog wrote:
    > "High Plains Thumper" schreef...
    >
    >> True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have
    >> been no improvements to Microsoft's operating system and
    >> office software. It just works.
    >>
    >> I still find WordPerfect 6 for Windows 3.1 and DOS version
    >> superior to Microsoft Word. Formatting was easier, ditto
    >> with table of contents and indexing. WP had intelligence to
    >> detect patterns of paragraph formatting and intuitively
    >> continue them. Quattro Pro did a better job of maintaining
    >> exterior cell references. This is rather sad considering
    >> that WP 6 was created some 14 or so years ago.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Office 2007 is a disappointment. I don't like
    >> their user interface, reminder of Fischer Price
    >> intuitiveness and appearance.

    > And why do you think anyone gives a flying fu [potty mouth
    > anonymous remailing trailer trash snipped]

    Well, Rick, rather sad that you can't even carry on a decent
    conversation, resorting to foul mouthed antics, even posting of
    advocate privacy information in efforts to discourage. Your
    statements say a lot for the representation you are modeling.
    This is really sad.

    --
    HPT

  6. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    > Clogwog wrote:
    >> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...
    >>
    >>> True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have
    >>> been no improvements to Microsoft's operating system and
    >>> office software. It just works.
    >>>
    >>> I still find WordPerfect 6 for Windows 3.1 and DOS version
    >>> superior to Microsoft Word. Formatting was easier, ditto
    >>> with table of contents and indexing. WP had intelligence to
    >>> detect patterns of paragraph formatting and intuitively
    >>> continue them. Quattro Pro did a better job of maintaining
    >>> exterior cell references. This is rather sad considering
    >>> that WP 6 was created some 14 or so years ago.
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Office 2007 is a disappointment. I don't like
    >>> their user interface, reminder of Fischer Price
    >>> intuitiveness and appearance.

    >> And why do you think anyone gives a flying fu [potty mouth
    >> anonymous remailing trailer trash snipped]

    > Well, Rick, <****slap>

    Who the fsck is "Rick", you stationary, fscked-up head louse?
    There's only one (p)Rick posting in this group, you tard!
    --
    HPT is een achterbakse tering spleetoog.

  7. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Do You Ubuntu?

    >> Yea. About twice a day. More if I've eaten Chinese food which seems to
    >> give me gas.
    >>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thomaskloos.com/?p=1
    >>>
    >>> As RMS once said, no wonder support is so bad; it's a monopoly. Why ever
    >>> improve security? Why respect freedom as opposed to forcefeed DRM
    >>> (Vista)? Why keep XP alive if people demand it?

    > True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been no
    > improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office software. It just
    > works.
    >
    > I still find WordPerfect 6 for Windows 3.1 and DOS version superior to
    > Microsoft Word. Formatting was easier, ditto with table of contents and
    > indexing. WP had intelligence to detect patterns of paragraph formatting
    > and intuitively continue them. Quattro Pro did a better job of maintaining
    > exterior cell references. This is rather sad considering that WP 6 was
    > created some 14 or so years ago.

    Seeing how you love ancient DOS based CLI applications it's no wonder you
    use linux.

    Linux is a perfect match for people who like 1990's style applications,
    "control codes" and CLI's.

  8. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Do You Ubuntu?

    >> Yea. About twice a day. More if I've eaten Chinese food which seems
    >> to give me gas.
    >>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thomaskloos.com/?p=1
    >>>
    >>> As RMS once said, no wonder support is so bad; it's a monopoly. Why
    >>> ever improve security? Why respect freedom as opposed to forcefeed
    >>> DRM (Vista)? Why keep XP alive if people demand it?

    > True. Due to a lack of competition, there essentially have been no
    > improvements to Microsoft's operating system and office software. It
    > just works.

    That's a good one for the .sig collection. Thanks for that Low Gutter Dumper.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  9. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

  10. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:04:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > His runaways between ISPs may have come to an end. One of them might call
    > Ricky's mommy now that he's exposed.
    >
    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | "I feed my 3 penguins with electricity and love"

    Seeing as you, Roy Schestowitz are posting from Mark Kent's ISP accounts
    which is a violation of his TOS, I would be real careful if I were you
    because not only are you jeopardizing your own SPAM pipeline, you are
    putting Mark Kent's accounts in danger of termination.
    All of them.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] Monopoly-level 'Support' and Vista Drive User to GNU/Linux

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > ____/ High Plains Thumper on Monday 23 June 2008 18:55 : \____
    >
    >> Clogwog wrote:
    >>> "High Plains Thumper" schreef...

    >>> And why do you think anyone gives a flying fu [potty mouth
    >>> anonymous remailing trailer trash snipped]

    >> Well, Rick, rather sad that you can't even carry on a decent
    >> conversation, resorting to foul mouthed antics, even posting of
    >> advocate privacy information in efforts to discourage. Your
    >> statements say a lot for the representation you are modeling.
    >> This is really sad.

    > His runaways between ISPs may have come to an end. One of them might call
    > Ricky's mommy now that he's exposed.

    Mark, Maaaaaark!!!!! is that you?????????
    --
    homofiele kutinstallatie

+ Reply to Thread