[News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to Battling GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to Battling GNU/Linux

    Comment: Why netbooks are here to stay

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The success of the Eee was behind the reason for Microsoft's surprise
    | announcement that it would continue to offer the Windows XP operating system
    | past its shelf-life just for what the company calls ultra-low-cost PCs, or
    | ULCPCs.
    |
    | This was big news in the industry as Microsoft knew this would be jumped on
    | by the tech press and described as a u-turn in a potential PR nightmare,
    | especially considering the lack of popularity of Vista.
    |
    | So why did they do it? Not just for revenue reasons - in order to avoid Linux
    | getting a bigger toe-hold in this vital emerging market, primarily made up of
    | young users.
    `----

    http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...-to-stay.phtml

    Microsoft gave up on margins. Profits are likely to fall again in the next MSFT
    report.

    Recent:

    Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    | secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
    | an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
    | not authorised to discuss the programme.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=9006

    Microsoft to limit capabilities of cheap laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft plans to offer PC makers steep discounts on Windows XP Home Edition
    | to encourage them to use that OS instead of Linux on ultra low-cost PCs
    | (ULPCs). To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    | screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they cannot
    | offer touch-screen PCs.
    |
    | The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to PC
    | makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The goal
    | apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that they don't
    | eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista, something both
    | Microsoft and the PC vendors would want to avoid.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft notes that the OSes under consideration for the devices include
    | Windows and Linux. Some PC makers have expressed a preference for Linux
    | because it helps them keep down the cost of the devices.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    | secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
    | an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
    | not authorized to discuss the program.
    |
    | "[Low-cost PC makers] have made some good inroads with open-source, and
    | Microsoft wants to put a stop to it," the official said.
    |
    | The official did not seem opposed to the program. It should stimulate more
    | competition between Windows and Linux in the ULPC market, and it could
    | invigorate sales because consumers who want an easy-to-use PC are likely to
    | prefer Windows, the official said.
    `----

    http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=D04...0F5F4479DEEE86

    They Criticized Vista. And They Should Know.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Act 1: In 2005, Microsoft plans to say that only PCs that are properly
    | equipped to handle the heavy graphics demands of Vista are “Vista Ready.”
    |
    | Act 2: In early 2006, Microsoft decides to drop the graphics-related hardware
    | requirement in order to avoid hurting Windows XP sales on low-end machines
    | while Vista is readied. (A customer could reasonably conclude that Microsoft
    | is saying, Buy Now, Upgrade Later.) A semantic adjustment is made: Instead of
    | saying that a PC is “Vista Ready,” which might convey the idea that, well, it
    | is ready to run Vista, a PC will be described as “Vista Capable,” which
    | supposedly signals that no promises are made about which version of Vista
    | will actually work. * * *
    |
    | The decision to drop the original hardware requirements is accompanied by
    | considerable internal protest. The minimum hardware configuration was set so
    | low that “even a piece of junk will qualify,” Anantha Kancherla, a Microsoft
    | program manager, said in an internal e-mail message among those recently
    | unsealed, adding, “It will be a complete tragedy if we allowed it.” * *
    |
    | Act 3: In 2007, Vista is released in multiple versions, including “Home
    | Basic,” which lacks Vista’s distinctive graphics. This placed Microsoft’s
    | partners in an embarrassing position. Dell, which gave Microsoft a postmortem
    | report that was also included among court documents, dryly
    | remarked: “Customers did not understand what ‘Capable’ meant and expected
    | more than could/would be delivered.” * *
    `----

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/bu...=2&oref=slogin

    Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

    Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...apable_emails/

    Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

    http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/mic...rtner=yahootix

    Has Vista lost all credibility?

    http://apcmag.com/8344/has_vista_lost_all_credibility

  2. Re: [News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to Battling GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Comment: Why netbooks are here to stay
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The success of the Eee was behind the reason for Microsoft's surprise
    > | announcement that it would continue to offer the Windows XP operating
    > | system past its shelf-life just for what the company calls
    > | ultra-low-cost PCs, or ULCPCs.
    > |
    > | This was big news in the industry as Microsoft knew this would be jumped
    > | on by the tech press and described as a u-turn in a potential PR
    > | nightmare, especially considering the lack of popularity of Vista.
    > |
    > | So why did they do it? Not just for revenue reasons - in order to avoid
    > | Linux getting a bigger toe-hold in this vital emerging market, primarily
    > | made up of young users.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...ml/15588/16612

    netbooks-are-here-to-stay.phtml

    > Microsoft gave up on margins. Profits are likely to fall again in the next
    > MSFT report.

    Micoshaft is now reduced to a reactionary company,
    while Linux sets the pace.
    Micoshaft revenues are sinking while google is rising. Both on same
    magnitude now. So Micoshaft and their asstroturfers and what they have to
    say are no longer that important.
    Google employs some one million Linux servers to beat the crap
    out of Micoshaft.

  3. Re: [News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to Battling GNU/Linux

    7 wrote:

    > Micoshaft is now reduced to a reactionary company,
    > while Linux sets the pace.

    "Vista is introducing alot of new features and I'm pretty sure we can (or
    will very shortly) replicate most of those features in Ubuntu."

    > Micoshaft revenues are sinking while google is rising. Both on same
    > magnitude now.

    MS revenues are rising, and are 3x those of Google. They're not at all
    comparable, but if they were - so what? Google isn't a Linux company.
    Google is an advertising company.

    > So Micoshaft and their asstroturfers and what they
    > have to say are no longer that important.

    Signed, 7
    Lifelong Windows Developer

    > Google employs some one million Linux servers to beat the crap
    > out of Micoshaft.

    If MS is reactionary and "not that important" why do you talk about them so
    much?

  4. Re: [News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to BattlingGNU/Linux

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:06:38 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > 7 wrote:
    >
    >> Micoshaft is now reduced to a reactionary company, while Linux sets the
    >> pace.

    > "Vista is introducing alot of new features and I'm pretty sure we can
    > (or will very shortly) replicate most of those features in Ubuntu."
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-161670.html
    >

    >> Micoshaft revenues are sinking while google is rising. Both on same
    >> magnitude now.

    > MS revenues are rising, and are 3x those of Google. They're not at all
    > comparable, but if they were - so what? Google isn't a Linux company.
    > Google is an advertising company.

    Google isn't a Linux comany? That depends on wht you mean by "Linux
    company". It uses Linux to run its business. It contributes to OSS/Linux
    projects.

    >> So Micoshaft and their asstroturfers and what they have to say are no
    >> longer that important.

    > Signed, 7
    > Lifelong Windows Developer
    >

    >> Google employs some one million Linux servers to beat the crap out of
    >> Micoshaft.

    > If MS is reactionary and "not that important" why do you talk about them
    > so much?

    If Linux is "not that important" why do you rant against it so much?

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: [News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to Battling GNU/Linux

    "7" wrote in message
    news:w9q7k.13722$E41.2858@text.news.virginmedia.co m...
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Comment: Why netbooks are here to stay
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The success of the Eee was behind the reason for Microsoft's surprise
    >> | announcement that it would continue to offer the Windows XP operating
    >> | system past its shelf-life just for what the company calls
    >> | ultra-low-cost PCs, or ULCPCs.
    >> |
    >> | This was big news in the industry as Microsoft knew this would be
    >> jumped
    >> | on by the tech press and described as a u-turn in a potential PR
    >> | nightmare, especially considering the lack of popularity of Vista.
    >> |
    >> | So why did they do it? Not just for revenue reasons - in order to
    >> avoid
    >> | Linux getting a bigger toe-hold in this vital emerging market,
    >> primarily
    >> | made up of young users.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...ml/15588/16612

    > netbooks-are-here-to-stay.phtml
    >>
    >> Microsoft gave up on margins. Profits are likely to fall again in the
    >> next
    >> MSFT report.

    > Micoshaft is now reduced to a reactionary company,
    > while Linux sets the pace.

    Linux "sets the pace" by copying MS-Office and Vista feature-by-feature and
    in look and feel.

    - "Vista is introducing alot of new features and I'm pretty sure we can (or
    will very shortly) replicate most of those features in Ubuntu."

    > Micoshaft revenues are sinking while google is rising.

    How about some actual facts and figures to back up your nonsense. Microsoft
    has been making record revenues you moron.

    > Both on same magnitude now.

    Same thing... except that Microsoft has about 3X the revenues of Google.
    Close enough for "advocate math" I suppose.

    > So Micoshaft and their asstroturfers and what they have to
    > say are no longer that important.

    Anything that happens in COLA isn't important. The home of linux advocacy
    is the sewer of usenet.

    > Google employs some one million Linux servers to beat the crap
    > out of Micoshaft.

    It takes a million linux servers just to run a search engine. I knew that
    linux was slow and inefficient but needing a million linux just to run
    their infrastrucure is grossly inefficient. Google should replace that mess
    with 200-300 Windows machines.

  6. Re: [News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to Battling GNU/Linux

    ____/ 7 on Sunday 22 June 2008 11:52 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Comment: Why netbooks are here to stay
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The success of the Eee was behind the reason for Microsoft's surprise
    >> | announcement that it would continue to offer the Windows XP operating
    >> | system past its shelf-life just for what the company calls
    >> | ultra-low-cost PCs, or ULCPCs.
    >> |
    >> | This was big news in the industry as Microsoft knew this would be jumped
    >> | on by the tech press and described as a u-turn in a potential PR
    >> | nightmare, especially considering the lack of popularity of Vista.
    >> |
    >> | So why did they do it? Not just for revenue reasons - in order to avoid
    >> | Linux getting a bigger toe-hold in this vital emerging market, primarily
    >> | made up of young users.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...ml/15588/16612

    > netbooks-are-here-to-stay.phtml
    >>
    >> Microsoft gave up on margins. Profits are likely to fall again in the next
    >> MSFT report.

    > Micoshaft is now reduced to a reactionary company,
    > while Linux sets the pace.

    Good observation.

    > Micoshaft revenues are sinking while google is rising.

    Linux Market to Triple by 2012

    http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031108-story07.html

    Linux products and services to touch $7.7 bn by 2012

    http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Linux-products-and-services-to-touch-$77-bn-by-2012/5108102625/0/

    Microsoft sees slide in profits

    Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...efer=worldwide

    Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

    http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263

    > Both on same
    > magnitude now. So Micoshaft and their asstroturfers and what they have to
    > say are no longer that important.
    > Google employs some one million Linux servers to beat the crap
    > out of Micoshaft.

    Well, it's a question of trends. Google and Linux do well; Microsoft does not.
    Microsoft can't reverse this. Its management sees an exodus and fast decline
    in bank balance.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: just set it and forget about it
    14:05:01 up 68 days, 12:17, 6 users, load average: 0.24, 0.60, 0.97

  7. Re: [News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to Battling GNU/Linux

    DFS wrote:

    > "Vista is introducing alot of new features and I'm pretty sure we can (or
    > will very shortly) replicate most of those features in Ubuntu."
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-161670.html

    A comment from a user from April 17th 2006 on Ubuntu forums is not an
    indication that Ubuntu needs to go backwards in 'implementing'
    Vista's 'features'. Hell, Ubuntu would be in serious trouble if it needed 4
    Gigabyte of Ram to run Compiz properly the way that Aero's effects need to.

    I can't think of any 'feature' from Vista that Ubuntu or any other Linux
    disto needs to implement.

  8. Re: [News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to Battling GNU/Linux

    "7" wrote in message
    news:w9q7k.13722$E41.2858@text.news.virginmedia.co m...
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Comment: Why netbooks are here to stay
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | The success of the Eee was behind the reason for Microsoft's surprise
    >> | announcement that it would continue to offer the Windows XP operating
    >> | system past its shelf-life just for what the company calls
    >> | ultra-low-cost PCs, or ULCPCs.
    >> |
    >> | This was big news in the industry as Microsoft knew this would be
    >> jumped
    >> | on by the tech press and described as a u-turn in a potential PR
    >> | nightmare, especially considering the lack of popularity of Vista.
    >> |
    >> | So why did they do it? Not just for revenue reasons - in order to avoid
    >> | Linux getting a bigger toe-hold in this vital emerging market,
    >> primarily
    >> | made up of young users.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...ml/15588/16612

    > netbooks-are-here-to-stay.phtml
    >>
    >> Microsoft gave up on margins. Profits are likely to fall again in the
    >> next
    >> MSFT report.

    > Micoshaft is now reduced to a reactionary company,
    > while Linux sets the pace.
    > Micoshaft revenues are sinking while google is rising. Both on same
    > magnitude now. So Micoshaft and their asstroturfers and what they have to
    > say are no longer that important.
    > Google employs some one million Linux servers to beat the crap
    > out of Micoshaft.

    You had me worried there!

    But I went and checked and found out that, starting in 2005 MSFT revenues
    for the year end were $39.75B (2005), $44.3B (2006) $51.1B (2007) with
    analysts estimating $60.25B for 2008 (ending in June). So revenues are
    holding in there, eh? Now profits could be a different story. They cleared
    , $14.5B (2005), $16.5B (2006), $18.5B (2007) and the estimates are for $20B
    in 2008, so you're all wet so far. Maybe they will fall in 2009, huh?

  9. Re: [News] Dirt-cheap Windows XP a Last Resort to Battling GNU/Linux

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:25:53 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "7" wrote in message
    > news:w9q7k.13722$E41.2858@text.news.virginmedia.co m...
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Comment: Why netbooks are here to stay
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> jumped

    >>> avoid
    >>> primarily
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...ml/15588/16612

    >> netbooks-are-here-to-stay.phtml
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft gave up on margins. Profits are likely to fall again in the
    >>> next
    >>> MSFT report.

    >> Micoshaft is now reduced to a reactionary company,
    >> while Linux sets the pace.

    > Linux "sets the pace" by copying MS-Office and Vista feature-by-feature and
    > in look and feel.
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-161670.html
    >
    > - "Vista is introducing alot of new features and I'm pretty sure we can (or
    > will very shortly) replicate most of those features in Ubuntu."
    >

    >> Micoshaft revenues are sinking while google is rising.

    > How about some actual facts and figures to back up your nonsense. Microsoft
    > has been making record revenues you moron.
    >
    >> Both on same magnitude now.

    > Same thing... except that Microsoft has about 3X the revenues of Google.
    > Close enough for "advocate math" I suppose.
    >

    >> So Micoshaft and their asstroturfers and what they have to
    >> say are no longer that important.

    > Anything that happens in COLA isn't important. The home of linux advocacy
    > is the sewer of usenet.
    >
    >> Google employs some one million Linux servers to beat the crap
    >> out of Micoshaft.

    > It takes a million linux servers just to run a search engine. I knew that
    > linux was slow and inefficient but needing a million linux just to run
    > their infrastrucure is grossly inefficient. Google should replace that mess
    > with 200-300 Windows machines.

    How in the world do they maintain them?
    Just a quick look at the statistics of the operation shows that hardware
    failures alone, must be massive due to the number of servers.

    Why not replace all that crap with a couple of zSeries running Linux in
    LPAR mode?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: