This Is The New EMI? Trying To Personally Bankrupt CEOs Of Companies It Doesn't
Like?

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year, a private equity firm took over the major record label EMI and
| announced that things were going to be different.
|
| [...]
|
| But, in the midst of all of this, it hasn't really backed down from a variety
| of ridiculous lawsuits. For example, it's been a part of a lawsuit against an
| ISP that refuses to spy on its users and cut off those who do unauthorized
| file sharing. We also noted last year that it had sued Michael Robertson's
| startup, MP3Tunes. Now we tend to have a lot of fun accusing Robertson of
| having the same marketing strategy with every company he starts: piss off
| some established company, get sued. It seems to happen with pretty much every
| company he starts from MP3.com to Lindows/Linspire to SIPphone. So it really
| wasn't a huge surprise to see MP3Tunes sued -- though, it's difficult to see
| how a personal music storage locker that doesn't allow sharing could possibly
| be infringing.
`----

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...57251433.shtml

Law Profs File Friend-of-Court Brief Against RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| As it turns out, the MPAA, close ally to the RIAA, has come forth with a more
| controversial view. They suggest that proof of actual distribution shouldn't
| be required. From their brief (PDF): "Mandating that proof could thus have
| the pernicious effect of depriving copyright owners of a practical remedy
| against massive copyright infringement in many instances."
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/06/21/0341239.shtml

RIAA is to content what Microsoft is to software.

Related:

Music boss: we were wrong to go to war with consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| The boss of Warner Music has made a rare public confession that the music
| industry has to take some of the blame for the rise of p2p file sharing.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/macuser/news/...consumers.html

Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ess-model.html