[News] ActiveX and Office 2007 Run on GNU/Linux with Crossover - Linux

  1. [News] ActiveX and Office 2007 Run on GNU/Linux with Crossover

    Crossover 7.0 includes Office 2007 support

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One of the areas of greatest enhancement in Wine lies in its significantly
    | enhanced support for ActiveX controls within Internet Explorer. “A recurring
    | theme we hear is the ability to use CrossOver to access Active-X intensive
    | webpages” said White. “This upgrade takes a giant step forward by expanding
    | the websites that can be used on a Linux or Mac system.”
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2505

    Mono Man would get a stiffy. He lurves ActiveX and MOOX.

    Recent:

    Report: ActiveX, QuickTime are buggiest browser plug-ins

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's technology, primarily used to create add-ins for Internet
    | Explorer, accounted for 79 per cent of the 239 plug-in bugs discovered
    | between July and December 2007, Symantec said. *
    `----

    New Attack Kit Targets Bag of ActiveX Bugs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bugs in ActiveX, a Microsoft technology used most often to create add-ons for
    | the company's Internet Explorer (IE) browser, have always been common, but so
    | many serious flaws have been disclosed of late that some security experts
    | have recommended users do without them. *
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

    Be prepared: ActiveX attacks will persist

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A recent string of high-profile ActiveX vulnerabilities caused the U.S.
    | Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) to advise users to disable the
    | ubiquitous Microsoft browser plug-in technology altogether. *
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...-horror_1.html

    Will Microsoft Change How ActiveX Runs in IE 8?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some security experts, like Will Dormann, a vulnerability analyst at the
    | Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute CERT/CC, are calling for
    | ActiveX to be disabled from running by default in IE 8. *
    |
    | Dormann is telling IE users that they should, from a security perspective,
    | disable ActiveX controls from running by default. "It would be nice if this
    | is something Microsoft did with the next version of the browser," he said. *
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Wi...-Runs-in-IE-8/

    Related:

    Rogue ActiveX controls menace users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | *Flaws in ActiveX controls are being increasingly used to run security
    | *exploits.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | An attack exploiting this vulnerability can lead to arbitrary code execution
    | by a remote attacker," a blog posting by Symantec researcher Parveen
    | Vashishtha warns. *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/24/activex_vulns/

    RealPlayer Attack Circulating

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The attack exploits a flaw in an ActiveX browser helper object, software that
    | RealPlayer employs to help users who are experiencing technical difficulties,
    | so the PC must be using the Internet Explorer browser to be affected by this
    | particular attack, Symantec said. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/138706

    Yahoo! battered by second ActiveX vulnerability

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The vulnerabilities affect versions of Yahoo! Messenger 8.x prior to version
    | 8.1.0.419, released late last week. Users are urged to upgrade.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09..._activex_vuln/

    Way Too ActiveX

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today, over at Symantec's Security Response Weblog, Greg Ahmad
    | reveals startling--and I do mean shocking--increases in ActiveX
    | vulnerabilities. According to Symantec, ActiveX vulnerabilities
    | stayed in the 12- to- 15-a-year range from 2002 to 2005. For
    | 2006, the number of vulnerabilities "reached 50," with 42 in
    | the second half of the year--coincidentally, the same time
    | period Microsoft finished up and released Internet Explorer 7.
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/33cfno

    Acer puts Active X hole on laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Laptop outfit Acer seems to have placed an Active X control on its
    | computers that seems to allow webpages to execute any program.
    |
    | This huge hole in network security has been installed on board Acer
    | lap-tops since 1998.
    `----

    Adobe Confirms 'Critical' Reader, Acrobat Exploits With IE

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A critical security vulnerability in an ActiveX control used by
    | Internet Explorer could allow malicious hackers to use Adobe's
    | Reader and Acrobat software to launch PC hijack attacks,
    | according to a warning from Adobe Systems.
    `----

    Month of ActiveX bugs project begins with two Office flaws

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A hacker known as shinnai kicked off his "Month of ActiveX Bugs"
    | (MoAxB) project with a bang by exposing a number of severe
    | vulnerabilities affecting OCX controls in Microsoft Office.
    `----

    http://scmagazine.com/us/news/articl...-office-flaws/

  2. Re: [News] ActiveX and Office 2007 Run on GNU/Linux with Crossover

    ____/ Homer on Sunday 22 June 2008 20:52 : \____

    >> Mono Man would get a stiffy. He lurves ActiveX and MOOX.

    > Hasn't the Department of Homeland Security made ActiveX illegal yet?

    Yes, _at least_ once.

    Be prepared: ActiveX attacks will persist

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A recent string of high-profile ActiveX vulnerabilities caused the U.S.
    | Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) to advise users to disable the
    | ubiquitous Microsoft browser plug-in technology altogether.
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...-horror_1.html

    I remember others reports.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "These characters were randomly picked"