Mobile Developers Still Favor .Net and Java, But The Popularity Of Linux And
Android Is Growing

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, it's worth noting that Linux, Android and Mac OS are all on the rise
| despite the fact that they are either still coming to market, or have
| relatively small market share.
`----

http://tinyurl.com/5sppl4

JVM-Based Languages Grow In Popularity

,----[ Quote ]
| A growing number of languages are thus being written for the JVM. Four of the
| most popular are distributed under an open-source license. Given that Java is
| now open source, this means that you have a fully open-source stack to work
| with--one that's also portable. Because these languages are implemented on
| top of the JVM, they also have access to standard Java classes and libraries.
| This means that if a third-party product includes connectivity routines in
| Java, but you prefer to work in Python, you can use Jython and access the
| Java libraries from within your program.
`----

http://ostatic.com/165658-blog/jvm-b...-in-popularity

Recent:

Linux Development Thriving

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time when developers were clamouring all over Microsoft, but
| latest figures from Evans Data shows that fewer than one in ten software
| developers are writing applications for Windows Vista this year – just eight
| percent. To rub salt in the wound, the data shows that 49 percent of
| developers are writing applications for Windows XP.
|
| Linux is also thriving it would seem. 13 percent are writing applications,
| with 15.5 percent in 2009.
|
| [...]
|
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, that probably means re-investing in XP and
| dumping Vista like an unwanted prom date.
`----

http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/linux-d...ment-thriving/

Vista's big problem: 92 percent of developers ignoring it

,----[ Quote ]
| Such appreciation for history is not likely to warm the ****les of
| Microsoft's heart, especially when Linux is getting lots of love from
| developers (13 percent writing apps for it this year and 15.5 percent in
| 2009).
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html

Coders Tell Why They're Avoiding Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. undoubtedly wanted to avoid its current predicament. It has
| been publicly talking up features in Vista since 2003 -- half a decade.
|
| But such "overmarketing," as Krasowski calls it, can rebound. Experienced
| developers have become jaded towards the third-party apps Microsoft trots out
| as exemplars of Redmond's latest technology -- "demoware," he calls them --
| that sparkle with flashy animation and video.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ing_vista.html

Related:

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-...-windows-sucks