OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP - Linux

This is a discussion on OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP - Linux ; OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner, Computerworld http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...sta_vs_xp.html...

  1. OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP

    OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP

    Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner,
    Computerworld

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...sta_vs_xp.html

  2. Re: OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ablang

    wrote
    on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:48:30 -0700 (PDT)
    <1fc9ff8c-d6e9-486b-956b-a34f943d8699@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>:
    > OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP
    >
    > Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner,
    > Computerworld
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...sta_vs_xp.html

    Linux: Light on its feet and ready to strut its stuff
    Size and Speed
    Stability, Security, Transparency, Flexibility
    Applications and Interface

    [Evaluation: reasonably good, though it mentions a 486, which
    might turn off people. Specifics on video and audio editing
    (such as Audacity and Rosegarden) would have been nice. Oddly,
    it mentions Silverlight.]

    Mac OSX: All You Need In One Dynamite Package
    A complete software/hardware ecosystem
    Elegance and ease of use
    Security

    [Evaluation: A little strange. "Unity of purpose"?
    "Hardware/software ecosystem"? If I want an ecosystem
    I'll buy a terrarium or fish tank, thanks. I'll give
    Leopard points for elegance, certainly.]

    Vista: The best there is (despite the bad rep)
    Interface, tweakability, and extras
    Best choice of software
    Security
    Why it beats the competition

    [Evaluation: The article goes into rather long detail
    as to why Vista's Aero features are desirable, but does
    not mention what one can do on non-Aero machines. I
    wonder what "enterprise software" means in this context.
    Cheapness apparently counts, too -- but not if one
    wants to run Aero. Why does Minesweeper need DirectX 9?
    And badmouthing one's predecessor makes one look...strange.]

    Windows XP The people's choice
    The people have spoken. Windows XP rules.
    Security
    All the features you need.
    Mac Or Linux -- why bother?

    [Evaluation: The article starts with mentioning major
    customer resistance to the Vista "'upgrade'". It also
    mentions that XP is faster than Vista, points to a site
    that allows simulation of some Vista features in XP,
    criticizes the Mac for being slightly elitist and Linux
    for not being ready for the desktop only having 1%
    of the desktop market, and way too many choices for
    a cubicle stiff to handle. Apparently wireless connectivity
    was a problem here, too; it can be tricky. "I just want
    to work".]

    [Conclusion: It's interesting but I'd take it with a large grain of
    salt.]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    People think that libraries are safe. They're wrong. They have ideas.
    (Also occasionally ectoplasmic slime and cute librarians.)

  3. Re: OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP

    ____/ Homer on Saturday 21 June 2008 11:24 : \____

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Ablang spake thusly:
    >> OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP
    >>
    >> Michael DeAgonia, Preston Gralla, David Ramel and James Turner,
    >> Computerworld

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...sta_vs_xp.html

    > And the conclusion that XP "wins" is drawn by a self-described
    > "run-of-the-mill cubicle stiff", based primarily on the assertion that
    > he prefers products just because they have a bigger market share. He
    > also misattributes this /ubiquity/ to /popularity/ ("The people have
    > spoken"), whilst conveniently ignoring Microsoft's racketeering as the
    > actual cause of that ubiquity.
    >
    > According to eye-witnesses, after completing his contractually obliged
    > Microsoft evangelism, the author then left the premises in a rather naff
    > Volkswagen Beetle [1], went to eat an ulcer-inducing sawdust-burger at
    > McDonalds [2], before going home and settling down to an evening of
    > mindless banality and cringe-worthy Reality Television "entertainment"
    > with "American Idol" [3].
    >

    > [1] "The Beetle is the world's best-selling car design"
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle
    >
    > [2] "McDonald's is the world's largest chain of fast food restaurants,"
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s
    >
    > [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...vision_ratings
    >

    > But then I keep forgetting ... bigger *always* equals "better".

    No, but the conclusion best received by a majority of the crowd, to whom
    justifying bad choices is important.

    > According to the sheep, that is.
    >
    > Baa.

    The world is flat, too.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
    Tasks: 164 total, 1 running, 163 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

+ Reply to Thread