[News] Linux Everywhere, Another Conference Opens - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Linux Everywhere, Another Conference Opens

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > Linux Market to Triple by 2012

    1.8 % in four years time? God you must be scraping the barrel if you
    think this is good news.

    Let me explain how things work - if you earn say 5 dollars a month and
    live in New York you are going to have trouble staying alive. If they
    then treble your wages to 15 dollars not a lot has really changed.

  3. Re: [News] Linux Everywhere, Another Conference Opens

    Hadron wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    >> Linux Market to Triple by 2012 [....]

    > Let me explain how [SNIP]

    Another feckless popinjay.

    --
    HPT

  4. Re: [News] Linux Everywhere, Another Conference Opens

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:04:13 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >

    >> Linux Market to Triple by 2012
    >>

    > 1.8 % in four years time? God you must be scraping the barrel if you
    > think this is good news.
    >
    > Let me explain how things work - if you earn say 5 dollars a month and
    > live in New York you are going to have trouble staying alive. If they
    > then treble your wages to 15 dollars not a lot has really changed.

    Another quality piece of "advocacy" from Quark.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: [News] Linux Everywhere, Another Conference Opens

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:30:08 -0500
    :
    > On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:04:13 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >>

    >>> Linux Market to Triple by 2012
    >>>

    >> 1.8 % in four years time? God you must be scraping the barrel if you
    >> think this is good news.
    >>
    >> Let me explain how things work - if you earn say 5 dollars a month and
    >> live in New York you are going to have trouble staying alive. If they
    >> then treble your wages to 15 dollars not a lot has really changed.

    > Another quality piece of "advocacy" from Quark.

    5/0.006 = $833/month or about minimum wage, apparently.
    An odd number for Hadron to throw out here, especially
    since the real wages of most workers has been declining
    -- and rather faster than the government would have
    us believe. (Thank you, Ronald Reagan, or perhaps Nixon,
    for futzing it up.)

    But never mind that...it may depend on what one is
    measuring, and Linux is difficult to measure, though one
    might estimate Linux usage by the time-honored techniques
    of simply polling random people, if the selection process
    is indeed random enough (there are some issues in telephone
    polls because of mobiles).

    But how does one count:

    - dual-boots, triple-boots, multi-boots?
    - multiple QEMU/VmWare/Bochs setups?
    - emulated Windows boxes running under Linux?
    - emulated Linux boxes running under Windows? (It's possible;
    see colinux.org for example.)
    - Linux running on multicore? SMP?
    - Linux and Windows running simultaneously on multicore through
    something like EFI? (My understanding is that this is possible.
    I frankly don't know the details. Most likely the BIOS partitions
    resources such as RAM, and allows for a display flip. Both OSes
    understand a common partitioning scheme; in x86 PCs it's crude
    but well-established.)
    - sold Linux installations? (That's pretty much a gimmie.)
    - unsold or free Linux installations, such as Gentoo or Debian?
    (That's not.)
    - Linux on non-desktops, such as mobiles and servers?

    Makes life interesting. Windows has the vast majority of desktops,
    but there are a fair number of other places to install Linux
    (and have already installed Linux).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!