[News] Java is Now Officially Free Software - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Java is Now Officially Free Software

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:48:59 +0100
    :

    >> 'Java Is finally Free and Open'

    > Next target: Flash.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

    though it's not quite ready yet. I'm not sure what to
    test it with but there are plenty of Flash games out there;
    if it works with them, great.

    (Last I checked, there were a fair number of problems.
    That was awhile ago.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.

  3. Re: [News] Java is Now Officially Free Software

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:17:44 +0100
    <8tmti5-8hq.ln1@sky.matrix>:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer wrote on Fri, 20
    >> Jun 2008 19:48:59 +0100 :

    >>> Next target: Flash.
    >>>

    >> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
    >>
    >> though it's not quite ready yet. I'm not sure what to test it with
    >> but there are plenty of Flash games out there; if it works with them,
    >> great.
    >>
    >> (Last I checked, there were a fair number of problems. That was
    >> awhile ago.)

    > Well it's only compatible up to Flash 7, for a start, but all good
    > things take time...

    Aye, and in any event someone's largely cracked the Flash format anyway.

    One hopes Adobe gets a clue and publishes a standard for it at some
    point. ;-) There is hope; Adobe has
    http://www.adobe.com/openscreenproject/
    which apparently has as a goal the removal of most restrictions on
    SWF and FLV/F4V specs, among other things.

    It appears that they get it.

    One can also use websites such as

    http://www.half-serious.com/swf/format/

    which goes into some details on the internals of SWF up
    to about version 4 or 5. If one's in more of a hurry
    one might also use the Ming library.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

  4. Re: [News] Java is Now Officially Free Software

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Saturday 21 June 2008 00:19 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:17:44 +0100
    > <8tmti5-8hq.ln1@sky.matrix>:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer wrote on Fri, 20
    >>> Jun 2008 19:48:59 +0100 :

    >>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
    >>>
    >>> though it's not quite ready yet. I'm not sure what to test it with
    >>> but there are plenty of Flash games out there; if it works with them,
    >>> great.
    >>>
    >>> (Last I checked, there were a fair number of problems. That was
    >>> awhile ago.)

    >> Well it's only compatible up to Flash 7, for a start, but all good
    >> things take time...
    >>

    > Aye, and in any event someone's largely cracked the Flash format anyway.
    >
    > One hopes Adobe gets a clue and publishes a standard for it at some
    > point. ;-) There is hope; Adobe has
    > http://www.adobe.com/openscreenproject/
    > which apparently has as a goal the removal of most restrictions on
    > SWF and FLV/F4V specs, among other things.
    >
    > It appears that they get it.
    >
    > One can also use websites such as
    >
    > http://www.half-serious.com/swf/format/
    >
    > which goes into some details on the internals of SWF up
    > to about version 4 or 5. If one's in more of a hurry
    > one might also use the Ming library.

    Ghost, the developers of Gnash reckon that Flash Player will inevitably be
    opened up (so-called third-party Intellectual Monopoly issued aside), but
    whether with the GPL or not -- that's a separate question.

    It was similar with GPUs (hackers pressure vendor, then become moot). I hear
    from a reliable person that NVIDIA might soon follow AMD's footsteps. The best
    news from ADM will come later this summer, which is why I often say that the
    future is bright for the Free desktop. The principal hindrance and hurdles to
    clear are gangster organisations with Intellectual Monopolies and dreck like
    the ACTA. The fiercest foe of freedom is corruption.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | You can never get nine women to deliver a baby in a
    month

+ Reply to Thread