[News] Popular Firefox Derivative (Flock) Coming Soon - Linux

  1. [News] Popular Firefox Derivative (Flock) Coming Soon

    Flock me! It’s a new 2.0 beta browser based on Firefox 3!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Social networking browser, Flock, has reached the 2.0 milestone in beta
    | status, bringing together all the major social networking sites in the one
    | browser. Offering all the enhancements of Firefox 3.0, you’ll only be
    | flocking to use this browser if you’re a big social networking user.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18815/1103/

    Flock Releases New Test Version of Open Source Social Browser

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The newest version of Flock incorporates improvements from Mozilla's Firefox
    | 3 browser, which is scheduled for release Tuesday.
    `----

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Fl...ser-63438.html
    http://tinyurl.com/6baywg

    Recent:

    What the Flock - the Social Browser Revolution

    | At first, Flock appealed to me in a purely superficial way. As you may have
    | noticed, I’m a sucker for style, good design and pretty textures, and Flock
    | certainly unites all of these features. *
    |
    | Fortunately, that’s not all there is to tell. Flock is based on Mozilla
    | Firefox and was first released in 2005. Back then it may have been a little
    | bit ahead of its time since social web was only in its beginnings. Recently
    | however, Flock has enjoyed very positive media coverage and its popularity
    | virtually exploded in the beginning of this year, reaching close to three
    | million downloads and increasing the number of active users by 135% [Source
    | via Wikipedia]. * * *
    `----

    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-th...er-revolution/

    Related:

    Flock 1.1.1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Search with Flock is slightly different from other browsers because as text
    | is typed in, Flock will start searching from the web as well as a user's
    | favourites and history. These initial results are shown in a drop down menu.
    |
    | Note that versions for Mac OS X and Linux are available from the Flock
    | website.
    `----

    http://business.pcauthority.com.au/d...flock-111.aspx

    Old:

    Flock 1.0 Coming Fall 2007

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When Flock 0.9 launched it was a pretty big overhaul, and now their next big
    | milestone is Flock 1.0 which currently has a vague release date of Fall 2007.
    | Honestly this is the dream browser for any heavy social network user out
    | there, and hopefully they’ll pursue more of the less tech savvy people who
    | use MySpace, Facebook, and YouTube because I can guarantee that they would *
    | absolutely love it. * *
    `----

    http://cybernetnews.com/2007/09/18/f...ing-fall-2007/

    Review: Flock - Open Source Social Media Browser

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Flock is just released version 1.1 including new features like Picasa
    | integration and web mail integration with Gmail and Yahoo! mail. I really
    | like the inclusiveness of the Flock browser. The sidebar is very useful but
    | it’s hard to be deep with every feature set such as the RSS feature and the
    | Twitter integration. I think the web clipboard is very useful but there are
    | other types of clipboards that are universal for all your applications are
    | better tools for someone going to Where I think Flock falls down is in it’s
    | resource footprint, it seems to be a little sluggish in comparison to
    | Firefox. If you want fast performance and don’t care about all the other
    | stuff then stick with Firefox but if you want a single tool for all your Web
    | 2.0 needs you can probably save some time with Flock but you will still
    | probably need some of your favorite Firefox extensions to make it meet all
    | your needs. * * * * * * *
    `----

    http://socializedsoftware.com/2008/0...media-browser/

    Flock 0.9 lands gracefully

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Flock project has been building a "social Web browser" since 2005.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/114656

    Flock: social browser gets significant update

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, with version 0.9 comes a major UI redesign, and some significant
    | new functionality, as well as a foundation built on top of the latest
    | Firefox 2 codebase.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/social/?p=236

  2. Re: [News] Popular Firefox Derivative (Flock) Coming Soon

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 19:14:32 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Flock me! Its a new 2.0 beta browser based on Firefox 3!

    Another asinine OSS/Linux program name.

    ie:let's make like geese and get the *flock* out of here.....

    (Rimshot).....

    Not as bad as LinPUS though...That takes the cake.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread