[News] [Rival] Microsoft Tries to Spin Its Way Out of OOXML Corruption - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Tries to Spin Its Way Out of OOXML Corruption

    Microsoft South Africa happy: Just four appeals

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The spin of the week:
    |
    | With only four national bodies submitting appeals out of a total of 87
    | that voted, we think the large majority of participants in this process
    | believe it accomplished what it was supposed to do.
    |
    | Says Paulo Ferreira, Platform Strategist of Microsoft South Africa1. Of
    | course these are only the nations where Microsoft did not fully obstruct the
    | committee work, in Belgium for instance the Committee was unable to
    | deliberate whether to launch an appeal.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Conclusion: It is a longterm negotiation process to move Microsoft towards
    | respect for genuine open standards. It is important to stage the pressure to
    | make the domino effect happen. This is what we are working on behind the
    | scenes now. Of course the company still finances a forceful and broad lobby
    | movement to obstruct the open standards legislation of foreign governments.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-68288...t-four-appeals

    XML standards key in government - Steve Pepper

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As the representative for Norway in the recent OOXML ratification process,
    | Steve Pepper has become an outspoken critic of the IEC/ISO process. Pepper is
    | also a passionate advocate of XML, open standards and Topic Maps. Here
    | Pepper, who is in South Africa for the XML in Government workshop, speaks to
    | Tectonic about what happened in Norway, Topic Maps and why open standards are
    | important for governments.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2494

    Recent:

    South Africa appeals against OOXML, call your Standards Body now!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The South African Standards Body SABS have lodged an appeal at ISO against
    | the awful fast-track process of DIS29500, or Microsoft Office OpenXML. Please
    | call your national Standards Body and ask them to support this complain. You
    | have only 7 days because the deadline is 30 May, 2 months after the ISO vote.
    |
    | Steve Pepper, being so disgused about the intervention of a Norwegian
    | bureaucrat reverting the decision of the Norwegian Technical Committee, is
    | pointing at the fact that this person is also member of the ISO Technical
    | Management Board (TMB), who will decide on the future of this appeal. I hope
    | we will have some transparency on who is deciding what inside ISO on this
    | appeal. It is time for ISO to clean up its stables, they have not been
    | cleaned for several years, and they are getting dirty and smelly.
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61468...dards-body-now

    Related:

    ISO Fantasy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What OOXML Is · The ISO process, brutal and corrupt as it was, has been
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | covered to death by everyone. Its output, soon to be known as ISO/IEC 29500,
    | differs from ECMA-376 in two ways. ¶
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | What Microsoft really wanted was that ISO stamp of approval to use as a
    | marketing tool. And just like your mother told you, when they get what they
    | want and have their way with you, they’re probably not gonna call you in the
    | morning.
    `----

    http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/04/15/OOXML

    Computer experts stage street protest in Oslo against Microsoft document format
    as standard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OSLO, Norway: Roughly 60 data experts staged a rare and noisy street
    | demonstration in downtown Oslo on Wednesday to protest the adoption of
    | Microsoft Corp.'s document format as an international standard and against
    | Norway voting for the move.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He claimed the committee ignored the advice of the vast majority of the
    | Nordic nation's software experts, was pressured by Microsoft and
    | displayed "scandalous behavior."
    `----

    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...onstration.php

    OOXML triggers demonstration in Norway: "Let's throw OOXML out of ISO"

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52412...xml-out-of-iso

    Demonstration outside ISO conference

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Steve Pepper, the former Chairman of the Norwegian committee responsible for
    | deciding the Norwegian vote on OOXML, is calling for a demonstration to take
    | place outside the building where SC34, the ISO committee that has been landed
    | with OOXML, is holding its spring plenary.
    |
    | The demonstration will take place outside Håndverkeren, Rosenkrantzgate 7,
    | Oslo, Norway, on Wednesday April 9 at 12.00. Among the slogans are:
    |
    | * No to ISO approval of OOXML!
    | * Defend the integrity of ISO!
    | * Microsoft: Support ODF!
    | * Ecma: Withdraw OOXML!
    | * Norway must say no to OOXML!
    `----

    http://blogs.freecode.no/isene/2008/...so-conference/

    Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The events leading up to the ISO's decision on OOXML can best be described as
    | strange.
    |
    | Take the case of KT 182, the Polish technical committee responsible for the
    | OOXML standardization process, as described on Groklaw: Chairperson Elzbieta
    | Andrukiewicz was instructed that KT 182 should abstain from voting if a
    | consensus was not achieved. Well, it wasn't, and she said the members who
    | were absent could vote by e-mail E-Mail Marketing Software - Free Trial.
    | Click Here. -- but if they didn't vote, she'd take their non-response as a
    | yes.
    |
    | Later, when presenting the results of the ballot resolution, she showed a
    | slide that claimed 98 percent of the OOXML issues had been resolved during
    | the KT 182 meeting.
    |
    | When reminded this wasn't true, and told that the author of the PowerPoint
    | file was Paul Pesch, platform strategy manager at Microsoft Netherlands, she
    | threatened to sue anyone who repeated the assertion that Pesch was the
    | author.
    |
    | That slide had been shown at another meeting, and one of the Brazilian
    | delegates had complained about it.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Tries to Spin Its Way Out of OOXML Corruption

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks