[News] Reddit Chooses CPAL and Exposes Source Code - Linux

  1. [News] Reddit Chooses CPAL and Exposes Source Code

    What is Reddit Announcing Tomorrow? And Why Is A Penguin Involved?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Social news website Reddit will be making an announcement at its invite-only
    | party tomorrow in San Francisco. Invites include the image above, prominently
    | featuring a mysterious penguin alongside the company's logo (the alien
    | thing). So what are they getting at?
    |
    | Penguins have long been associated with the open-source OS Linux, stemming
    | from Linus Torvalds's decision to use one as Linux's mascot (he's named Tux,
    | and you can see him here). Could Linux somehow be involved in Reddit's
    | announcement?
    `----

    Conde Nast's Reddit goes open-source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Reddit, the social news site that publishing giant Conde Nast acquired in
    | 2006, has made a big announcement: The site's code, as of Wednesday, is open
    | source. It's been released under the Common Public Attribution License
    | (CPAL).
    `----

    http://www.webware.com/8300-1_109-2....rd=open-source

    Recent:

    Facebook To Open Source Facebook Platform

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sometime soon, perhaps this week, Facebook will turn the year-old Facebook
    | Platform into an open source project, multiple sources have told us. The
    | immediate effect will be to allow any social network to become Facebook
    | Platform compatible - meaning application developers can easily take their
    | Facebook applications and have them run on those social networks, too.
    `----

    http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/26...book-platform/

    Facebook adopts the CPAL poison pill

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For more traditional software projects, customers derive value from being
    | able to modify the source code. But Facebook's customers are unlikely to do
    | so, and now its partners (and competitors) won't do so, either. CPAL may make
    | sense in some contexts, but I'm not sure this is one of them, unless Facebook
    | actually intends for no one to modify its source code....
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9958180-16.html

    CPAL? What's That?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In other words, if someone builds a web site based on the Facebook code, they
    | must make the source code of their modifications available as soon as they
    | let users into the site - whether or not they ship their own site code as a
    | separate product.
    |
    | One further note about the CPAL: because it's based on the MPL, it is not
    | compatible with the GPL. Â*Facebook does not appear to have availed itself of
    | the dual-licensing provisions of the CPAL, meaning that any of Facebook's
    | CPAL-licensed code cannot legally be linked with GPL code.
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/163756-blog/cpalss-whats-thatss

    Is Facebook an open source hero or Microsoft clone?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Of far more interest to me is Facebook’s attempt to control its open source
    | future, mainly under the Common Public Attribution License (the badgeware
    | license) approved by the OSI after submission by SocialText.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2505

  2. Re: [News] Reddit Chooses CPAL and Exposes Source Code

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

> [...]
    > | In other words, if someone builds a web site based on the Facebook code,
    > they
    > | must make the source code of their modifications available as soon as
    > they
    > | let users into the site - whether or not they ship their own site code
    > as a
    > | separate product.
    > |
    > | One further note about the CPAL: because it's based on the MPL, it is
    > not
    > | compatible with the GPL. Facebook does not appear to have availed itself
    > of
    > | the dual-licensing provisions of the CPAL, meaning that any of
    > Facebook's
    > | CPAL-licensed code cannot legally be linked with GPL code.
    > `----
    >
    > http://ostatic.com/163756-blog/cpalss-whats-thatss
    >

    > Is Facebook an open source hero or Microsoft clone

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks