List of major migrations to OpenOffice - Linux

This is a discussion on List of major migrations to OpenOffice - Linux ; Even regular COLA readers may be unaware of some major OOo deployments. OpenOffice migration precedes Linux migration. Did you know that the San Diego School District is moving 130,000 students to OOo in its one-computer-per-child program? Somehow I missed that ...

  1. List of major migrations to OpenOffice

    Even regular COLA readers may be unaware of some major OOo deployments.

    OpenOffice migration precedes Linux migration.

    Did you know that the San Diego School District is moving 130,000
    students to OOo in its one-computer-per-child program? Somehow I missed
    that or forgot it.

    Everybody would do well to read this whole list and follow some of the
    links to appreciate the extent of present and future FOSS/Linux penetration.

    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/...rg_Deployments
    > Major OpenOffice.org Deployments
    > This page will track public information on major OpenOffice.org deployments.

  2. Re: List of major migrations to OpenOffice

    I think it is probably because most enterprise or SME office workers
    are using Lotus Symphony, which the documents are completely
    compatible with OO.

    On Jun 19, 2:11*am, Matt wrote:
    > Even regular COLA readers may be unaware of some major OOo deployments.
    >
    > OpenOffice migration precedes Linux migration.
    >
    > Did you know that the San Diego School District is moving 130,000
    > students to OOo in its one-computer-per-child program? *Somehow I missed
    > that or forgot it.
    >
    > Everybody would do well to read this whole list and follow some of the
    > links to appreciate the extent of present and future FOSS/Linux penetration.
    >
    > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/...ce.org_Deploym...
    >

    > > Major OpenOffice.org Deployments
    > > This page will track public information on major OpenOffice.org deployments.

  3. Re: List of major migrations to OpenOffice

  4. Re: List of major migrations to OpenOffice

    Matt wrote:

    > Everybody would do well to read this whole list and follow some of the
    > links to appreciate the extent of present and future FOSS/Linux
    > penetration.
    >
    > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/...rg_Deployments
    >> Major OpenOffice.org Deployments
    >> This page will track public information on major OpenOffice.org
    >> deployments.

    Very interesting :-)

  5. Re: List of major migrations to OpenOffice

    Matt wrote:
    > Even regular COLA readers may be unaware of some major OOo deployments.
    >
    > OpenOffice migration precedes Linux migration.
    >
    > Did you know that the San Diego School District is moving 130,000
    > students to OOo in its one-computer-per-child program? Somehow I missed
    > that or forgot it.

    Ha ha, silly me. They are moving to Linux as well as OpenOffice.

    > Everybody would do well to read this whole list and follow some of the
    > links to appreciate the extent of present and future FOSS/Linux
    > penetration.
    >
    > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/...rg_Deployments
    >> Major OpenOffice.org Deployments
    >> This page will track public information on major OpenOffice.org
    >> deployments.

  6. Re: List of major migrations to OpenOffice

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > When times come to
    > renew the licence, maybe they'll take the same route as Robert Scoble (a
    > former Microsoft evangelist that recently ditched Microsoft Office).

    I haven't been able to find an account of that. Could you give a link?

  7. Re: List of major migrations to OpenOffice

    ____/ Matt on Thursday 19 June 2008 06:01 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> When times come to
    >> renew the licence, maybe they'll take the same route as Robert Scoble (a
    >> former Microsoft evangelist that recently ditched Microsoft Office).

    > I haven't been able to find an account of that. Could you give a link?

    It's somewhere on his Tweeter account. He moves to GOogle, sort of...

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | chmod a-r *.mbox

  8. Re: List of major migrations to OpenOffice

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> When times come to renew the licence, maybe they'll take the same
    >>> route as Robert Scoble (a former Microsoft evangelist that recently
    >>> ditched Microsoft Office).

    >> I haven't been able to find an account of that. Could you give a
    >> link?

    > My Microsoft Office trial is over. I am not spending $450 just to get
    > Outlook. Gmail and Google Calendar win this game: big time.
    >

    > http://twitter.com/Scobleizer/statuses/800474897

    thanks

+ Reply to Thread