[News] Ubuntu Versus 'The Other' GNU/Linux Distros - Linux

  1. [News] Ubuntu Versus 'The Other' GNU/Linux Distros

    Ubuntu Compared to Other Linux Distributions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you log into the command line of both an Ubuntu system and a Red Hat
    | Enterprise Linux or Fedora system, very little will look different. There are
    | common directories and utilities between the two, and functionality is
    | fundamentally the same. So what makes Ubuntu different from other Linux
    | distributions?
    | One difference is the installer.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Another unique characteristic of a Ubuntu system is the intentional practice
    of locking the root user account, Most Linux distributions require the user to
    log in or su to root to perform administration tasks, however a user on a
    Ubuntu does this through sudo using their own login password, and not a
    separate one for the root user.
    `----

    http://suresh-mobileweb.blogspot.com...her-linux.html

    Another new user that only ever tries Ubuntu:

    Adventures with open source apps on Linux - Part 2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Another reason for giving this process attention is that it gives the Ubuntu
    | beginner a chance to wade out a little bit deeper into Linux waters by
    | experimenting with some more advanced aspects of the OS, yet at the same time
    | remain safe. This experience can be an excellent confidence booster for the
    | Linux newbie.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2061

    Related:

    Ubuntu's Hype is Misleading (Real Test)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So the overall review of Ubuntu was the worst from new user point of view and
    | PCLOS wins here. My users say that in their opinion, Ubuntu is overhyped and
    | that it's not for the normal user. It is for those users who know Linux very
    | well and have high end systems with at least 1 gig ram. *
    `----

    http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200709/page02.html

    Divining from the Entrails of Ubuntu's Gutsy Gibbon

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to the 2007 DesktopLinux.com survey, Ubuntu is the distribution of
    | choice for 30% of GNU/Linux users. The exact figure is questionable, but
    | Ubuntu's dominance is not. For an increasing number of people, Ubuntu is
    | GNU/Linux. Yet, looking at the pre-releases of Gutsy Gibbon, Ubuntu 7.10, I
    | found myself becoming disturbed by the degree to which this popularity has
    | translated into uncritical acceptance.
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/ent...le.php/3700666

    Educating GNU/Linux users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More – if you know more than somebody, as Ubuntu’s developers obviously do,
    | you have an obligation to give them the opportunity. To do otherwise is to
    | dismiss the average person as willfully ignorant. Possibly, I’m naive, but
    | I’m not quite ready to regard others that way.
    |
    | Anyway, which came first: operating systems like Windows that prevent people
    | from learning about their computers, or users who were fixated on
    | accomplishing specific tasks. If computer users are task-oriented, at least
    | some of the time, the reason could be that they’re conditioned to be so.
    | Perhaps they’ve learned from Windows that prying into the inner workings of
    | their computer is awkward and difficult. We don’t really know how many users
    | will want to learn more, given the opportunity.
    `----

    http://brucebyfield.wordpress.com/20...nulinux-users/

  2. Re: Ubuntu Versus 'The Other' GNU/Linux Distros

    My Kubuntu 6.06 is able to run on a 128MB RAM without any GUI
    compromise.

    On Jun 19, 1:52*am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > Educating GNU/Linux users
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | More if you know more than somebody, as Ubuntus developers obviously do,
    > | you have an obligation to give them the opportunity. To do otherwise isto
    > | dismiss the average person as willfully ignorant. Possibly, Im naive, but
    > | Im not quite ready to regard others that way. *
    > |
    > | Anyway, which came first: operating systems like Windows that prevent people
    > | from learning about their computers, or users who were fixated on
    > | accomplishing specific tasks. If computer users are task-oriented, at least
    > | some of the time, the reason could be that theyre conditioned to be so.
    > | Perhaps theyve learned from Windows that prying into the inner workings of
    > | their computer is awkward and difficult. We dont really know how many users
    > | will want to learn more, given the opportunity. * * *

+ Reply to Thread