Re: [News] [SOT] Free Net is Kaput - Linux

  1. Re: [News] [SOT] Free Net is Kaput

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet Traffic
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | One of them, Time Warner Cable, began a trial of “Internet metering” in one
    > | Texas city early this month, asking customers to select a monthly plan and
    > | pay surcharges when they exceed their bandwidth limit. The idea is that
    > | people who use the network more heavily should pay more, the way they do for
    > | water, electricity, or, in many cases, cellphone minutes.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/te...oNWNQvY+4byuKA
    > http://tinyurl.com/56ps2a

    It was only a matter of time until some bright spark came up with this
    idea. The problem (in the UK at least - don't know about stateside) is
    that the infrastructure of the net is woefully inadequate.

    There is hope however. Those of you that follow the news may have heard
    about the company selling broadband by cable without digging the roads
    up. They're basically laying fibre through the sewers and have plans to
    roll it out to the entire UK. BT's crappy 21CN will look so ****ing
    antiquated when this happens.

    How long until spotty nerds are overheard bragging about the amount of
    bandwidth their ****pipe can take

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Free Net is Kaput

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:42:28 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet Traffic
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| One of them, Time Warner Cable, began a trial of Internet metering in one
    >>| Texas city early this month, asking customers to select a monthly plan and
    >>| pay surcharges when they exceed their bandwidth limit. The idea is that
    >>| people who use the network more heavily should pay more, the way they do for
    >>| water, electricity, or, in many cases, cellphone minutes.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/te...oNWNQvY+4byuKA
    >> http://tinyurl.com/56ps2a
    >>

    > It was only a matter of time until some bright spark came up with this
    > idea. The problem (in the UK at least - don't know about stateside) is
    > that the infrastructure of the net is woefully inadequate.
    >
    > There is hope however. Those of you that follow the news may have heard
    > about the company selling broadband by cable without digging the roads
    > up. They're basically laying fibre through the sewers and have plans to
    > roll it out to the entire UK. BT's crappy 21CN will look so ****ing
    > antiquated when this happens.
    >
    > How long until spotty nerds are overheard bragging about the amount of
    > bandwidth their ****pipe can take

    IBM figured that concept out years ago.
    Guess who purchased the right of way along railroad tracks many years ago?
    Guess who controls the fiber being run these days?
    Yep...
    Big Blue...

    As for the sewers, we have finally found a job for Schestowitz....
    A cable splicer in the UK sewer system...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread