The benefits of dual booting - Linux

This is a discussion on The benefits of dual booting - Linux ; http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ndows-and.html ,---- | IBM has demonstrated one of the highest profile supercomputers yet to | run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the High | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden. | | ...

  1. The benefits of dual booting

    http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ndows-and.html

    ,----
    | IBM has demonstrated one of the highest profile supercomputers yet to
    | run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the High
    | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden.
    |

    | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an
    | impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux runs
    | about 85% of the systems and Windows is relegated to less than five
    | percent, according to industry estimates.
    `----

    Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his "advocates"
    to start boycotting IBM.....

    --
    "Well we know Quack is an inveterate liar & troll with no credibility, so
    you cannot take *anything* he says as being true."

  2. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...computer-dual-

    boots-windows-and.html

    > ,----
    > | IBM has demonstrated one of the highest profile supercomputers yet to
    > | run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the High
    > | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden. |
    > |
    > | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an |
    > impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux runs |
    > about 85% of the systems and Windows is relegated to less than five |
    > percent, according to industry estimates. `----
    >
    > Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his "advocates"
    > to start boycotting IBM.....

    Another "fine" example of "Linux advocacy" from Quark.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    This "dual booting" may have a use not mentioned. If your machine
    has been rooted, can you start your Linux, examine your HD boot sector,
    and see it? ??

    Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 Jun 18]

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:ToadnTEhI4VBj8TVnZ2dnUVZ_oLinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...computer-dual-

    > boots-windows-and.html
    >>
    >> ,----
    >> | IBM has demonstrated one of the highest profile supercomputers yet
    >> | run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the
    >> High
    >> | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden. |
    >> |
    >> | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an
    >> |
    >> impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux
    >> runs |
    >> about 85% of the systems and Windows is relegated to less than five |
    >> percent, according to industry estimates. `----
    >>
    >> Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his
    >> "advocates"
    >> to start boycotting IBM.....

    > Another "fine" example of "Linux advocacy" from Quark.
    >
    > --
    > Rick

  4. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ndows-and.html
    >
    > ,----
    >| IBM has demonstrated one of the highest profile supercomputers yet to
    >| run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the High
    >| Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden.
    >|

    >| Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an
    >| impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux runs
    >| about 85% of the systems and Windows is relegated to less than five
    >| percent, according to industry estimates.
    > `----
    >
    > Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his "advocates"
    > to start boycotting IBM.....

    That's the Linux advocate way!
    If you are not 100 percent with them, you are against them and thus are the
    enemy.

    Linux advocacy has all the trappings of a cult.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:53 +0200
    :

    > http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ndows-and.html
    >
    > ,----
    > | IBM has demonstrated one of the highest profile supercomputers yet to
    > | run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the High
    > | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden.
    > |

    > | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an
    > | impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux runs
    > | about 85% of the systems and Windows is relegated to less than five
    > | percent, according to industry estimates.
    > `----

    Excellent. We should be able to have a Microsoft monopoly
    in .NET any day now. .NET is an excellent technology, but
    for its patent issues.

    (Java is older but better established, of course, and might have
    a better optimizer. I frankly don't know how to compare the two
    properly.)

    > Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his "advocates"
    > to start boycotting IBM.....

    How does one boycott IBM? They don't even *have* a desktop
    or laptop division anymore; Lenovo is somewhere in China.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.

  6. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    Hadron wrote:

    > http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...ndows-and.html
    >
    > ,----
    > | IBM has demonstrated one of the highest profile supercomputers yet to
    > | run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the High
    > | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden.
    > |

    > | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy

    [snip]

    That's nice. But what does the customer want?

    Windows has a minimal presence in the cluster/supercomputing field
    because the customers in these areas know exactly what they want and, in
    many cases, build it themselves.

    I suppose Microsoft can ship such dual boot systems now and claim a
    greater Windows presence in this market niche.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian paul@hovnanian.com
    Have gnu, will travel.

  7. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    > Quack snotted
    >
    >> http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...computer-dual-

    > boots-windows-and.html
    >>
    >> ,----
    >> | IBM has demonstrated one of the highest profile supercomputers yet to
    >> | run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the High
    >> | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden. |
    >> |
    >> | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an |
    >> impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux runs |
    >> about 85% of the systems and Windows is relegated to less than five |
    >> percent, according to industry estimates. `----
    >>
    >> Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his "advocates"
    >> to start boycotting IBM.....

    How do you get "choice is not good" from "dual booting is good", you
    stupid fscking POS?

  8. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    Rick writes:

    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...computer-dual-

    > boots-windows-and.html
    >>
    >> ,----
    >> | IBM has demonstrated one of the highest profile supercomputers yet to
    >> | run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the High
    >> | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden. |
    >> |
    >> | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an |
    >> impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux runs |
    >> about 85% of the systems and Windows is relegated to less than five |
    >> percent, according to industry estimates. `----
    >>
    >> Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his "advocates"
    >> to start boycotting IBM.....

    > Another "fine" example of "Linux advocacy" from Quark.

    Poor Rick. Still the COLA butt boy. Where did I say anything bad about
    Linux? I said that Roy and the morons will now diss IBM for increasing
    choice on Super Computers. Try to read what is written for a change.

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

  9. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:11:01 -0500
    :
    >> Quack snotted
    >>
    >>> http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...computer-dual-

    >> boots-windows-and.html
    >>>
    >>> ,----
    >>> | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden. |
    >>> |
    >>> | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an |
    >>> impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux runs |
    >>> about 85% of the systems and Windows is relegated to less than five |
    >>> percent, according to industry estimates. `----
    >>>
    >>> Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his "advocates"
    >>> to start boycotting IBM.....

    > How do you get "choice is not good" from "dual booting is good", you
    > stupid fscking POS?

    An interesting mess. Apparently we've been getting on
    the Wintrools' case regarding their comments of "too many
    Linux distros"; Hadron apparently is attempting to turn
    the tables. Unfortunately, all he's done with the tables
    in this case is budge them a bit...and not usefully.

    As it is, any Linux system can run Windows, if one installs
    VmWare on it. :-) Presumably, this includes supercomputers.

    (At some point, of course, one has to ask "why bother". There
    are better solutions if one wants a server.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

  10. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    Martha Adams wrote:
    > This "dual booting" may have a use not mentioned. If your machine
    > has been rooted, can you start your Linux, examine your HD boot
    > sector, and see it? ??
    >
    > Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 Jun 18]

    Are you one of those crazy old ladies who thinks she's the reincarnation of
    an ancient Polynesian princess?

  11. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:23:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...computer-dual-

    >> boots-windows-and.html
    >>>
    >>> ,----
    >>> to | run Windows as well as Linux - the Akka system, installed at the
    >>> High | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden.
    >>> | |
    >>> | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an |
    >>> impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux runs
    >>>
    >>> Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his "advocates"
    >>> to start boycotting IBM.....

    >> Another "fine" example of "Linux advocacy" from Quark.

    > Poor Rick. Still the COLA butt boy. Where did I say anything bad about
    > Linux?

    Where did you advocate Linux, numbnuts?

    > I said that Roy and the morons will now diss IBM for increasing
    > choice on Super Computers. Try to read what is written for a change.

    Another "fine" example of "Linux advocacy" from Quark.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:23:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:36:53 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...computer-dual-

    >> boots-windows-and.html
    >>>
    >>> ,----
    >>> | Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) in northern Sweden. |
    >>> |
    >>> | Akka is partly a result of a Microsoft strategy to make more of an |
    >>> impact on the high performance computing (HPC) field, where Linux runs |
    >>> about 85% of the systems and Windows is relegated to less than five |
    >>> percent, according to industry estimates. `----
    >>>
    >>> Realising now that "choice is not good" expect Roy and his "advocates"
    >>> to start boycotting IBM.....

    >> Another "fine" example of "Linux advocacy" from Quark.

    > Poor Rick. Still the COLA butt boy. Where did I say anything bad about
    > Linux? I said that Roy and the morons will now diss IBM for increasing
    > choice on Super Computers. Try to read what is written for a change.

    You're asking too much from Rick....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Quack snotted

    >> How do you get "choice is not good" from "dual booting is good", you
    >> stupid fscking POS?

    >An interesting mess. Apparently we've been getting on
    >the Wintrools' case regarding their comments of "too many
    >Linux distros"; Hadron apparently is attempting to turn
    >the tables. Unfortunately, all he's done with the tables
    >in this case is budge them a bit...and not usefully.

    I know exactly what that stinking bowl of vomit Quack is trying to do.

    He is again dishonestly charging the advocates of "hypocrisy". In
    this case, implying that the advocates think "choice is good unless
    one of those choices is Microsoft", which is a position that I have
    NEVER seen an advocate express, and which I do not believe ANY
    advocate thinks.

    But I would not doubt if that fscking asshole will follow-up to this
    massage with some vile, fsckwitted, dishonest misinterpretation of
    what someone said, in defense of his "case".

  14. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:55:08 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >>> How do you get "choice is not good" from "dual booting is good", you
    >>> stupid fscking POS?

    >>An interesting mess. Apparently we've been getting on the Wintrools'
    >>case regarding their comments of "too many Linux distros"; Hadron
    >>apparently is attempting to turn the tables. Unfortunately, all he's
    >>done with the tables in this case is budge them a bit...and not
    >>usefully.

    > I know exactly what that stinking bowl of vomit Quack is trying to do.
    >
    > He is again dishonestly charging the advocates of "hypocrisy". In this
    > case, implying that the advocates think "choice is good unless one of
    > those choices is Microsoft", which is a position that I have NEVER seen
    > an advocate express, and which I do not believe ANY advocate thinks.
    >
    > But I would not doubt if that fscking asshole will follow-up to this
    > massage with some vile, fsckwitted, dishonest misinterpretation of what
    > someone said, in defense of his "case".

    Don't sugar coat it, Chris, tell us how you really feel.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: The benefits of dual booting

    Homer wrote:

    >Verily I say unto thee, that chrisv spake thusly:
    >
    >> I know exactly what that stinking bowl of vomit Quack is trying to
    >> do.
    >>
    >> He is again dishonestly charging the advocates of "hypocrisy". In
    >> this case, implying that the advocates think "choice is good unless
    >> one of those choices is Microsoft", which is a position that I have
    >> NEVER seen an advocate express, and which I do not believe ANY
    >> advocate thinks.

    >As much as I despise Windows for its technical inadequacies, and
    >Microsoft for its racketeering, I've also frequently stated that
    >I have no interest in market dominance for GNU/Linux.
    >
    >I fully support people's freedom to choose Windows. I think it's
    >the *wrong* choice, but that's just my opinion.

    Indeed. The trolling Windolts often try to project their evil traits
    - a desire to dominate and control - onto the advocates of freedom and
    choice. Ridiculous, obviously.

+ Reply to Thread