[News] [Rival] Microsoft Director Jumps Ship!!! - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Director Jumps Ship!!!

    Jon Shirley retiring from Microsoft board

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Jon Shirley, the former Microsoft president and a member of the company's
    | board for 25 years, won't seek another term as a director, the company
    | announced this afternoon.
    `----

    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    Microsoft Director Jon Shirley Won't Seek Re-Election

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | He stayed on the board after stepping down from the executive ranks in 1990.
    `----

    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a4WASw0CWkoE

    Recent:

    Microsoft Xbox Executive out Amid Reshuffling

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of global marketing for Microsoft's
    | Interactive Entertainment Business, is leaving the company at the end of the
    | summer to pursue other interests after only two years at the company,
    | Microsoft said Thursday. Summer in the U.S. typically means the months of
    | June, July and August.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...shuffling.html

    Microsoft India MD joins HP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a major setback to IT giant Microsoft, its India Managing Director(MD)
    | Neelam Dhawan has decided to call it quits and will join Hewlett-Packard
    | (HP).
    `----

    http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3108755.cms

    Microsoft`s 'Oslo' Loses a Leader, Plows On

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Despite losing a key strategist for its “Oslo” effort, Microsoft preps a
    | preview release for October.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application...ader-Plows-On/

    Microsoft CEO Ballmer: I’m outta here in 9 or 10 years; as soon as my last kid
    goes away to college

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "In addition, Microsoft Business Division president Jeff Raikes has said he
    | would retire in September," McDougall reports. "Microsoft's mergers and
    | acquisitions chief Bruce Jaffe stepped down at the end of February."
    `----

    http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/17465/

    Windows exec Poole leaving Microsoft (Update)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft senior vice president Will Poole, a longtime Windows executive, is
    | retiring from the company, according to a report by ZDNet blogger Mary Jo
    | Foley this afternoon. No confirmation from Microsoft yet. *
    |
    | Poole would be the latest executive to leave the company since Windows
    | Vista's launch. Others include Rob Short and Michael Sievert. *
    `----

    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss

    Microsoft's Vista Blogger Quits As Redmond Exodus Builds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | White did not provide a reason for his decision. To be sure, his position
    | could not have been an easy one. White's posts often elicited hundreds of
    | glitches and quirks. *
    |
    | His departure also raises questions about Microsoft's ability to retain
    | talent in the Web 2.0 world. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Earlier this year, Microsoft Business Division president Jeff Raikes said he
    | would retire in September, to be replaced by former Juniper Networks chief
    | operating officer Stephen Elop. *
    |
    | Microsoft's merger and acquisitions chief Bruce Jaffe stepped down at the end
    | of February.
    |
    | To boot, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates will give up full-time duties at the
    | company in July.
    |
    | The departures highlight one of Microsoft's biggest challenges as a mature
    | company: attracting and retaining Silicon Valley's top talent. In its early
    | days, Microsoft could entice recruits with an entrepreneurial environment and
    | stock options that eventually turned secretaries into millionaires. * *
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...on=All+Stories

    Vista marketing chief to bid Microsoft adieu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Michael Sievert, Corporate Vice President for Windows Product Marketing, is
    | moving on, according to multiple sources of mine.
    |
    | It’s hard to make the case that Sievert, who was responsible for the
    | worldwide introduction of Windows Vista, isn’t being pushed for the
    | less-than-enthusiastic public perception of Microsoft’s latest version of
    | Windows. Even though Microsoft has moved 100-million-plus copies of Vista,
    | many consumers and businesses still consider the new release buggy, sluggish
    | and incompatible with existing software and drivers. * *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1158

    Related:

    Microsoft’s OEM chief defects to Lenovo

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While so many of us Microsoft watchers were preoccupied with the hasty
    | departure of former Microsfot CIO Stuart Scott, the resignation of the
    | company’s OEM chief slipped right by most of us. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=999

    Microsoft losing acquisition playmaker

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a previous life Jaffe was the CFO for Microsoft's MSN division, and also
    | had roles overseeing acquisitions related to Microsoft's consumer business,
    | groups like MSNBC and Microsoft Games. *
    `----

    Microsoft Windows hardware leader takes a ‘vacation’

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Veteran Softies are dropping like flies lately. The latest Microsoft exec to
    | leave is Jawad Khaki, Corporate Vice President of the Windows Hardware
    | Ecosystem. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1002

    Danny Thorpe quits the Windows Live development team

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Danny Thorpe, one of the higher-profile hires Microsoft made to its Windows
    | Live team, has decided to leave for greener pastures.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=806

    Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
    | and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
    | game console business and the introduction of its Internet
    | Protocol television software.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

    Yet another Microsoft search exec calls it quits

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In March, Blake Irving, the Corporate VP in charge of the Windows
    | Live platform, announced his plans to leave Microsoft, effective
    | this summer. Payne announced his resignation from Microsoft shortly
    | after Irving made his announcement.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=407

    Former Microsoft Search Chief Bill Bliss On Early Search Missteps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bill's biggest regret? Not bypassing middle management that wasn't
    | listening to him scream about the coming threat of Google and going
    | right up to Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer.
    `----

    http://searchengineland.com/070309-094930.php

    Microsoft Search Leader To Leave Company

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Microsoft Corp. vice president who led the company's push into
    | Internet search is leaving the software giant as the effort he
    | helped launch loses ground against lead competitor Google Inc.
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/preview_login....s%26ru%3Dyahoo
    http://tinyurl.com/2jran7

    Microsoft Businesss Solutions Group's Burgum to resign

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp.'s Business Solutions group senior vice president Doug
    | Burgum will resign, effective June 30, and leave the company to pursue
    | other opportunities, the company said on Tuesday.
    `----

    http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44
    http://tinyurl.com/h4coe

    Database head to leave daily duties at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Paul Flessner, who leads Microsoft's data storage and platform
    | division, will step down from his daily duties after the new year.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6131496.html

    Microsoft Windows Live VP to resign

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Blake Irving, a Corporate Vice President in Microsoft's Windows
    | Live Platform group, is resigning his post, according to sources
    | close to the company.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=296

    Veteran Windows architect resigns from Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | On the heels of a week of news of a number of Microsoft executive departures
    | and reshufflings, another has come to light. Rob Short, Corporate Vice
    | President for Windows Core, has resigned from the company. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1110

    Juniper Networks exec to succeed Microsoft Business Division President Raikes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Another reason I consider the Raikes announcement timing odd: Why announce
    | Raikes’ departure a day after acknowledging the defection of your mergers and
    | acquisitions chief Bruce Jaffe? You could make the argument that Microsoft
    | wants to get all its defection/churn announcements out of the way at once.
    | But I’m not sure I’d look at things the same way, if I were one of the
    | company’s “image makers”…. * *
    |
    | Microsoft also announced on January 10 that Bob Muglia, the Senior Vice
    | President in charge of Microsoft’s Server and Tools Business, is going to
    | move out of the Business Division and report directly to CEO Steve Ballmer. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1101

    Microsoft loses top executive in China

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Li Gong is currently exploring other career opportunities," Microsoft said
    | in a statement to News.com.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In a September 2005 Business Week interview, Ballmer touted Gong as
    | one of several key hires that Microsoft had made.
    |
    | Most recently, Gong has served as managing director of Windows LiveC
    | hina and as Vice President of Microsoft China R&D Group.
    |
    | Gong's name came up in the case over Kai-Fu Lee, the top Microsoft
    | executive whose hiring by Google sparked a multistate legal battle.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6149735.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Director Jumps Ship!!!

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Jon Shirley retiring from Microsoft board
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Jon Shirley, the former Microsoft president and a member of the company's
    >| board for 25 years, won't seek another term as a director, the company
    >| announced this afternoon.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss
    >
    > Microsoft Director Jon Shirley Won't Seek Re-Election
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| He stayed on the board after stepping down from the executive ranks in 1990.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a4WASw0CWkoE

    Clearly, it's all over.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Director Jumps Ship!!!

    "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> Jon Shirley retiring from Microsoft board
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Jon Shirley, the former Microsoft president and a member of the
    >>company's
    >>| board for 25 years, won't seek another term as a director, the company
    >>| announced this afternoon.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss
    >>
    >> Microsoft Director Jon Shirley Won't Seek Re-Election
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| He stayed on the board after stepping down from the executive ranks in
    >>1990.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a4WASw0CWkoE
    >>

    > Clearly, it's all over.

    What exactly is over - common sense and logic?

    From the article: - "Shirley, who retired from his executive position in
    1990, points out in the news release that he turned 70 this year and says he
    is reducing his professional commitments."

    Are people who are 70-something years old old not allowed to retire because
    you and Roy think that it's somehow a negative reflection of the company?
    I'd say the fact that he retired in 1990 and spent 18 years serving on the
    board of directors is a positive reflection of the company. Whereas making a
    big stink that "it's clearly over" because a 70 year old wants to finally
    retire makes the two of you look rather stupid IMO.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Director Jumps Ship!!!

    ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 18 June 2008 18:28 : \____

    > "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> Jon Shirley retiring from Microsoft board
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>company's
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...asp?source=rss
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft Director Jon Shirley Won't Seek Re-Election
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>1990.
    >>> `----

    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a4WASw0CWkoE

    >> Clearly, it's all over.

    > What exactly is over - common sense and logic?
    >
    > From the article: - "Shirley, who retired from his executive position in
    > 1990, points out in the news release that he turned 70 this year and says he
    > is reducing his professional commitments."
    >
    > Are people who are 70-something years old old not allowed to retire because
    > you and Roy think that it's somehow a negative reflection of the company?
    > I'd say the fact that he retired in 1990 and spent 18 years serving on the
    > board of directors is a positive reflection of the company. Whereas making a
    > big stink that "it's clearly over" because a 70 year old wants to finally
    > retire makes the two of you look rather stupid IMO.

    Why /now/ though? If he worked until his 70s, then surely he has enjoyed it,
    until now... my grandpa too worked until 70 something. He's retired now...
    left years before the business was shut.

    Why did Gates leave? And Poole? And Raikes? And Allchin? Coincidence?

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
    run-level 2 2008-04-15 01:48 last=

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Director Jumps Ship!!!

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > ____/ Subway steel on Wednesday 18 June 2008 18:28 : \____
    >

    >> "Mark Kent" wrote in message
    >>> Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a4WASw0CWkoE
    >>>>

    >>> Clearly, it's all over.

    >> What exactly is over - common sense and logic?
    >>
    >> From the article: - "Shirley, who retired from his executive position in
    >> 1990, points out in the news release that he turned 70 this year and says
    >> he
    >> is reducing his professional commitments."
    >>
    >> Are people who are 70-something years old old not allowed to retire
    >> because
    >> you and Roy think that it's somehow a negative reflection of the company?
    >> I'd say the fact that he retired in 1990 and spent 18 years serving on
    >> the
    >> board of directors is a positive reflection of the company. Whereas
    >> making a
    >> big stink that "it's clearly over" because a 70 year old wants to finally
    >> retire makes the two of you look rather stupid IMO.

    > Why /now/ though?

    Why not now? If he retired a year ago, 2 years ago or 5 years from now you
    could raise the question of "But why now" couldn't you? I certainly don't
    speak for him but he did turn 70 years old this year so perhaps he just
    wants to retire like he said. He's on the Forbes list as one of the
    wealthiest men in America so why not now? After working his entire life at
    what age is it okay to finally retire?

    > If he worked until his 70s, then surely he has enjoyed it,

    Does this mean that he must continue working forever? Because eventually
    everyone stops working and it doesn't mean there is a sinister reason behind
    it.

    > until now... my grandpa too worked until 70 something. He's retired now...
    > left years before the business was shut.
    > Why did Gates leave? And Poole? And Raikes? And Allchin? Coincidence?

    If I was any of those guys I would have retired years ago and would be
    spending the rest of my life traveling the world and snowboarding. So the
    question (rhetorical?) is why would someone with billions of dollars retire
    in their mid 50's or 60's instead of working until the day they die. Does
    this really require an answer?

    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | "I think I think, therefore I think I am"
    > http://Schestowitz.com | RHAT GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > run-level 2 2008-04-15 01:48 last=
    > http://iuron.com - help build a non-profit search engine

+ Reply to Thread