[News] [Rival] Green Light for Possible Microsoft Embargoes in Europe - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Green Light for Possible Microsoft Embargoes in Europe

    EU Says Governments Could Bar Microsoft From Bidding

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Governments contracting IT work could conclude that Microsoft's antitrust
    | history constitutes "grave professional misconduct" and ban the company,
    | according to the European Commission.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...m_bidding.html

    "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox’s store before I did and took
    the TV doesn’t mean I can’t go in later and steal the stereo."

    --Bill Gates, Microsoft

    Steve Jobs took the TV, Gates stole the stereo and Steve Ballmer must be
    breaking chairs.

    Recent:

    EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
    | distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
    | the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
    | MEP Marco Cappato. *
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

    Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

    Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

    EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A spokesman for the European Commissioner for Competition, Neelie Kroes, told
    | The Register that regulators were continuing to scrutinise interoperability
    | issues related to Microsoft’s products following complaints from the
    | Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) group. *
    |
    | As part of that process, the EC formally contacted a number of national
    | standards bodies, including the Norwegian Standards Institute (NSI),
    | requesting more details about possible irregularities in the OOXML
    | standardisation process. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | “It must be stressed that it is not the Commission's intention to influence
    | the outcome of this process, but the Commission considers it essential to
    | ensure that European competition law is not violated in the course of the
    | standard setting process,” he said in an email to El Reg. *
    |
    | In January the EC began formal anti-trust probes against Microsoft in two
    | cases where it was alleged that the multinational firm had abused its strong
    | market position. As part of the investigation into the first case, the
    | Commission said that it would scrutinise OOXML on the grounds that the
    | specification doesn't work with those of competitors. * *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...stigation_iso/

    Related:

    EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
    | happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
    | Quinn was by no means unique. *
    `----

    Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
    | mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
    | than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
    | and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
    | index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
    | disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below. * * *
    `----

    http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Green Light for Possible Microsoft Embargoesin Europe

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > EU Says Governments Could Bar Microsoft From Bidding
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Governments contracting IT work could conclude that Microsoft's antitrust
    > | history constitutes "grave professional misconduct" and ban the company,
    > | according to the European Commission.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...m_bidding.html
    >
    > "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox’s store before I did and took
    > the TV doesn’t mean I can’t go in later and steal the stereo."

    That's a dangerous precedent. I'd rather they just fix the problem.
    Abolish software patents fully (not ambiguously like now), make sure no
    further ISO corruption takes place, look into OEM and vendor lockin.
    Something would also have to be done about the lobbying as well.

    In short, give everyone a level playing field. Perhaps ongoing further
    scrutiny of microsoft as well.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Green Light for Possible Microsoft Embargoes in Europe

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Green Light for Possible Microsoft Embargoes in Europe

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > EU Says Governments Could Bar Microsoft From Bidding
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Governments contracting IT work could conclude that Microsoft's
    > | antitrust history constitutes "grave professional misconduct" and ban
    > | the company, according to the European Commission.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147175

    eu_says_governments_could_bar_microsoft_from_biddi ng.html

    There is a legitimate legal reasons to ban Micoshaft.

    There are now more viruses, malware, sypware, botnetware
    and trojans being released than all of the Micoshaft engineers
    and Micoshaft together can repair PER DAY.

    Tax payers are being taken for a ride if their OS maker
    has no fix or even a remote possibility of fixing the flaws.
    There are 320 million botnet PCs.

    If staff within governments took to recommending WINDUMMY OSen
    for projects, they could legitimately be sued for professional
    misconduct by open source friendly companies
    because officials have a duty in public life to obtain
    the best products for IT and recommending something that is
    broken and CANNOT be repaired such as the WINDUMMY OSen
    is failure to perform duty.
    If the environment for software has changed, then best
    practices within government must also get revised accordingly.

+ Reply to Thread