[News] Tackling the Question About Linux's Inherent Security - Linux

  1. [News] Tackling the Question About Linux's Inherent Security

    Is Linux the most secure OS?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Furthermore, determining a “most secure” OS is not as straightforward as it
    | might at first sound. One of the most common criteria used by people who
    | don’t really understand security, and by those who do understand it but want
    | to manipulate those who don’t with misdirection and massaged statistics, is
    | vulnerability discovery rates. Those of us who know better are aware that
    | there’s a lot more to security than counting vulnerabilities.
    `----

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=471

    Related:

    With Vista breached, Linux unbeaten in hacking contest

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The MacBook Air went first; a tiny Fujitsu laptop running Vista was hacked on
    | the last day of the contest; but it was Linux, running on a Sony Vaio, that
    | remained undefeated as conference organizers ended a three-way computer
    | hacking challenge Friday at the CanSecWest conference.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

    Windows Update's Sneaky Updates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "The only altered files that have been reported to date are 18 small
    | executables used by WU itself. Microsoft is patching these files silently,
    | even if auto-updates have been disabled on a particular PC." *
    `----

    Microsoft reacts to kernel hacks, defends Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft wasn't much help in figuring out exactly what was beefed up by the
    | PatchGuard update; the accompanying information was extremely vague. The
    | MSRC's release manager, Simon Conant, was just as tight-lipped in a posting
    | to the center's blog. "The update adds additional checks to Kernel Patch
    | Protection for increased reliability, performance, and security," Conant
    | said. * *
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...l-hacks_1.html

    Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
    | fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
    | effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
    | keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

    Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
    | that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
    | of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
    | practice?
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

    Microsoft : Arrogance leads to Vulnerability

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Chatting with the Microsoft senior sales people, I was struck by
    | their incredible arrogance. They know the company?s products are good,
    | but they have no qualms whatsoever about charging top dollar as a
    | result.
    |
    | It reminds us how Microsoft used to behave when it comes to their
    | products' security records. IE5 and 6 were nothing short of being
    | proper Swiss Cheese with loads of holes in them but hey, they had 95%
    | of the browser market at that time and couldn't care less.
    `----

    http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=514

    Why Linux is More Secure Than Windows

    ,----[ Gist ]
    | Much better patch management tools...
    |
    | Much stronger default configuration...
    |
    | Modular Design...
    |
    | Better tools to protect against zero-day attacks...
    |
    | Open Source Architecture...
    |
    | Diverse Environment...
    `----

    http://freewebsoftwarereviews.blogsp...n-windows.html

    Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

    The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

    Why Windows is less secure than Linux

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

    Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

    If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...rss_technology

    Why Windows is a security nightmare.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...120110704.html

    The Structural Failures of Windows

    Recent:

    Bumper bundle of Windows updates includes Vista patches

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | June's Patch Tuesday has brought a substantial crop of updates for Windows,
    | including three critical patches for Vista =and other versions, calling into
    | question Microsoft's "secure by design" claim for its latest operating
    | system.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18698/1054/

    Nevis Labs Identifies Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Live OneCare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nevis Networks, a market leader in secure switching and identity-based policy
    | enforcement appliances, today announced that Nevis Labs has identified
    | vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows Live OneCare.
    `----

    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...96&newsLang=en

    Vista Called as Vulnerable as Predecessors

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It looks as if Vista's reputation for improved security could be heading for
    | the pages of history. PC Tools has renewed last week's attack on the platform
    | with new figures that appear to back up its claim that Vista is almost as
    | vulnerable as its predecessors.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...decessors.html

    Vista security credentials tarnished in malware survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "[Vista]has been hailed by Microsoft as the most secure version of Windows to
    | date. However, recent research conducted with statistics from over 1.4
    | million computers within the ThreatFire community has shown that Windows
    | Vista is more susceptible to malware than the eight year old Windows 2000
    | operating system, and only 37 per cent more secure than Windows XP," said
    | Simon Clausen, chief exec at PC Tools.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...alware_survey/

    Vista as Insecure as Windows 2000

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...dows_2000.html

    Study Says Linux More Secure

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More than 70 percent people surveyed said they found Red Hat Linux less
    | vulnerable to security issues than Microsoft's operating system.
    `----

    http://www.techtree.com/India/News/S...88850-580.html

  2. Re: [News] Tackling the Question About Linux's Inherent Security

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Is Linux the most secure OS?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Furthermore, determining a ?most secure? OS is not as straightforward as it
    >| might at first sound. One of the most common criteria used by people who
    >| don?t really understand security, and by those who do understand it but want
    >| to manipulate those who don?t with misdirection and massaged statistics, is
    >| vulnerability discovery rates. Those of us who know better are aware that
    >| there?s a lot more to security than counting vulnerabilities.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=471

    I've no problems with vulnerabilities being found, so long as they are
    fixed, openly and well. Windows has about 10 years of catching up to do
    here - it seems unlikely that it could be done.

  3. Re: [News] Tackling the Question About Linux's Inherent Security

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Is Linux the most secure OS?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Furthermore, determining a “most secure” OS is not as straightforward as
    > it
    > | might at first sound. One of the most common criteria used by people who
    > | don’t really understand security, and by those who do understand it but
    > want
    > | to manipulate those who don’t with misdirection and massaged statistics,
    > is
    > | vulnerability discovery rates. Those of us who know better are aware
    > that
    > | there’s a lot more to security than counting vulnerabilities.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=471
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > With Vista

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  4. Re: [News] Tackling the Question About Linux's Inherent Security

    "Mark Kent" schreef in bericht
    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> Is Linux the most secure OS?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Furthermore, determining a ?most secure? OS is not as straightforward as
    >>it
    >>| might at first sound. One of the most common criteria used by people who
    >>| don?t really understand security, and by those who do understand it but
    >>want
    >>| to manipulate those who don?t with misdirection and massaged statistics,
    >>is
    >>| vulnerability discovery rates. Those of us who know better are aware
    >>that
    >>| there?s a lot more to security than counting vulnerabilities.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=471
    >>

    > I've no problems with vulnerabilities being found, so long as they are
    > fixed, openly and well. Windows

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows
    * alt.h.i.p.c.r.i.m.e.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h0pcr0me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h1pcr1me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.h2pcr2me.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipclone.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.hipcrime.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash
    * alt.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.os.windows95.crash.crash.crash
    * comp.misc.microsoft.sucks
    * microsoft.sucks.
    * sk.sux.microsoft
    Fsck you arsehole troll
    *PLONK*

  5. Re: Tackling the Question About Linux's Inherent Security

    Let's see... an article about Linux security is off topic for a linux
    advocacy group? So claims chrisv, I mean, chrisv impersonator =
    Moshe = flatfish = trooth hurtz = Professor Dungby = LITTLE PEDRO =
    Tito Benito = ....??? So many lies coming out of one flatfish. With
    a fake cola charter, too. And doesn't know the difference between
    your and you're.

  6. Re: Tackling the Question About Linux's Inherent Security

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu espoused:
    > Let's see... an article about Linux security is off topic for a linux
    > advocacy group? So claims chrisv, I mean, chrisv impersonator =
    > Moshe = flatfish = trooth hurtz = Professor Dungby = LITTLE PEDRO =
    > Tito Benito = ....??? So many lies coming out of one flatfish. With
    > a fake cola charter, too. And doesn't know the difference between
    > your and you're.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    That's always been one of his mis-spellings. Erik has one particular
    one which I won't mention on here, because it's how I detect whether
    it's really him or not.

  7. Re: Tackling the Question About Linux's Inherent Security

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:52:40 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu espoused:
    >> Let's see... an article about Linux security is off topic for a linux
    >> advocacy group? So claims chrisv, I mean, chrisv impersonator =
    >> Moshe = flatfish = trooth hurtz = Professor Dungby = LITTLE PEDRO =
    >> Tito Benito = ....??? So many lies coming out of one flatfish. With
    >> a fake cola charter, too. And doesn't know the difference between
    >> your and you're.

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    > That's always been one of his mis-spellings. Erik has one particular
    > one which I won't mention on here, because it's how I detect whether
    > it's really him or not.

    Sorry Mark but I'm none of those except Moshe and one other one which I'll
    leave up to you since you appear so interested.
    Also none of the fanboi posts are coming from me. It's not my style.
    Additionally I know the difference between your and you're but I'll admit
    there and their get's me sometimes.

    You guys really need to start attempting to advocate Linux so you can
    attract some fresh meat into this group because the rotting flesh from you
    gasbags is starting to stink up the place.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread