-----
The purpose of private browsing is to put Firefox into a
temporary state where no information about the user's
browsing session is stored locally. Firefox currently handles
the user's privacy with a feature in preferences to clear all
private data. This feature forces the user to choose between
having privacy (even if only momentary), and other useful
features like browsing history, and saved passwords. Users
should be able to go "off the record", they shouldn't have to
shoot the reporter.

As we improve the functionality of history to include full
text indexing, and possibly capturing thumbnails of sites
visited, the need to respect user's privacy only increases.
-----

This feature has been on Safari for a while. The following comments were
made about that features:

spike1@freenet.co.uk:
So there's your "private browsing" in both OSes then.
The only reason people WOULDN'T use multiple user accounts
is through ignorance of what's available. Blame the manual
or teacher for that.

Kelsey Bjarnason
Log on. Browse. Log off. Or even don't, just let the
screen saver kick in. When she logs in, she gets *her*
history, not yours. She can't even look at yours. You *do*
understand the concept of multiple user accounts, right?

Rick:
Clear your private information on browser exit or
manually, FireFox.

That is absolute bull****. If the average user is too lazy or
stupid to set app preference he/she should not be using the
app, especially if they are doing things they don't want
others to see. ... and they can always set up a user account.
That is what they are there for.

No, you can set Firefox to delete all private data on command
or on logout. You have been told this repeatedly.

RonB
"Private browsing?" -- SuSE has an integrated search function
in its main menu.

Now that Private Browsing is likely coming to Firefox / Linux, how long
until one of the folks who argued *against* it use it as a sign of a benefit
over IE?

Oh, and once again the FireFox team gets something that I noted that many of
the Linux advocates in COLA failed to get. My voice added to the chorus of
voices who did get it and thus Firefox / Linux will be a better environment.
I wonder if the "Linux Advocates" will get that?

--
BU__SH__