[News] Microsoft 'Insider' Spotted in OpenLogics's 'Open Source' Monitoring Project - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft 'Insider' Spotted in OpenLogics's 'Open Source' Monitoring Project

    Microsoft Joins Open Source Usage Spying Program

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From OpenLogic's (the parent company of the OSC) team website:
    |
    | Steven L. Grandchamp, CEO . . .
    |
    | Steven also held various senior management positions with Microsoft including
    | the application development segment of Microsoft Consulting Services. Steven
    | spent the early part of his career in progressively responsible IT roles in
    | the banking industry.
    `----

    http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/17/43756

    Yesterday:

    Conspiracy theory: Microsoft sponsors open source census to prepare for
    lawsuits

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My guess? I think Microsoft wants access to the results both so it can
    | understand open source but also so it can start to consider legal actions
    | against the most popular products and the companies that develop them.
    |
    | I'll apologize in advance if the motives are completely altruistic but if the
    | past is any evidence, we should really avoid giving this kind of information
    | to Microsoft with no benefits attached to open source.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-9969662-62.html

    Reaction to News of Microsoft's Support of Open Source Census

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When we first told you about the Open Source Census back in April, there were
    | already a number of sponsors, "with more expected to sign on in the future."
    | Well, today, another sponsor was announced and the name may surprise you --
    | or maybe not. Microsoft. As expected, some open source supporters are in a
    | twist over the news, while others are waxing philosophical.
    |
    | ZDNet's Mary-Jo Foley thinks that perhaps the move is motivated by
    | Microsoft's desire for greater interoperability with open source systems, and
    | also to gain a "better understanding of where/how open-source software is
    | gaining traction in enterprises in order to better fight it."
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/165226-blog/react...rce-census#rss

    Microsoft buddies up to open source "census": Conspiracy?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I think Microsoft just wants to be associated with any good-hearted
    | open-source effort, so that it can appear...good hearted, without actually
    | engaging open source in any deep, meaningful way.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969819-16.html

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft 'Insider' Spotted in OpenLogics's 'Open Source' Monitoring Project

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Microsoft

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks