KDE 4 is not a failure. It is a place to start .... - Linux

This is a discussion on KDE 4 is not a failure. It is a place to start .... - Linux ; As usual too many fan boys reinventing the wheel and not taking care of core bugs and functionality. This article is a hoot: ,---- | http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/16734.html | | "KDE has spawned a new release, KDE 4.x, and although it looked ...

  1. KDE 4 is not a failure. It is a place to start ....

    ,----

    `----

    --
    "I do believe I have stated that he should be given the benefit of the
    doubt, as is his right. If he did this crime, as it would seem, then he

  2. Re: KDE 4 is not a failure. It is a place to start ....

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:13:07 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > As usual too many fan boys reinventing the wheel and not taking care of
    > core bugs and functionality. This article is a hoot:
    >
    > ,----
    > | http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/16734.html |
    > | "KDE has spawned a new release, KDE 4.x, and although it looked |
    > promising at first, KDE is in trouble. `----

    Odd it talks about new users finding it difficult, what the f&*k are new
    users doing trying out KDE4.x, Open SuSe 11 will have KDE4.x but ships
    with KDE3.5 so noobs can use a stable platform, people are not told or
    fail to understand that using bleeding edge technology is a work in
    progress, if you want to get on and use a Linux based system without any
    problems use a stable release.

    Hadron I don't normally agree with the crap you post, but that article
    shows how some journalists can loose the plot.

    Jem..

  3. Re: KDE 4 is not a failure. It is a place to start ....

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:13:07 +0200
    :

    > As usual too many fan boys reinventing the wheel and not taking care of
    > core bugs and functionality. This article is a hoot:
    >
    > ,----
    > | http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/16734.html
    > |
    > | "KDE has spawned a new release, KDE 4.x, and although it looked
    > | promising at first, KDE is in trouble.
    > `----

    Yep, gotta be a reason to switch to Microsoft Windows Vista!
    Can't be too careful nowadays with al Qaeda running amuck,
    it might lead to dancing.

    Of course one might have read the very bottom of the article:

    So my message to all the disgruntled users out there are: use KDE
    3.5.x, and wait until 4.x makes you happy, or better yet, help.
    That's what the Mac OS users did. That's what the Apache users did.
    That's what our KDE 2.x users did. The software you are getting from
    the KDE project is free, worked on by a team of developers that
    actually like to use their own software. Improvements are coming
    fast, and KDE 4.1.0 is scheduled for July. 4.2.0 for January, etc.
    If you use 4.0.x, have found issues, and would like to help improve
    4.1 before the release, grab the SVN version, using KDE4Daily
    (virtual machine image), the automated kdesvn-build script, anonsvn,
    and file bugs. Join the bug squashing days that are announced via
    planetkde or the dot. And bring a positive attitude because KDE is
    yours, just as much as any coder!

    So whose fault is it really if KDE sucks?

    Also, to be pedantic about it: KDE is not part of Linux
    proper, though it is included in most distros, if not as
    the default GUI then as an installable option.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  4. Re: KDE 4 is not a failure. It is a place to start ....

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:13:07 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > As usual too many fan boys reinventing the wheel and not taking care of
    > core bugs and functionality. This article is a hoot:
    >
    > ,----
    >| http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/16734.html
    >|
    >| "KDE has spawned a new release, KDE 4.x, and although it looked
    >| promising at first, KDE is in trouble.
    > `----

    This is exactly what I am claiming regarding amarok.
    They churn out new versions one after the other but never seem to fix the
    inherent problems with the core program.

    Then of course on a higher level there are the distributions that fix
    problems with other distributions.
    PCLinux OS fixing Mandriva for example.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb