[News] Linux Has Fork() Advantage Over Windows - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Linux Has Fork() Advantage Over Windows

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Running With Forks
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | On a Windows computer, there is no configurable limit to the number of
    > | processes you can run. So it is relatively trivial to create a batch
    > file to
    > | launch the same application in an infinite loop until the system is
    > unusable.
    > | Some Windows services provide protection, in particular IIS can be
    > configured
    > | to restrict total number of threads and CPU being consumed. However,
    > this is
    > | not system-wide and certainly leaves the door open for trojan
    > applications
    > | that may want to take your computer away from you.
    > |
    > | UNIX operating systems, however, have the concept of ULIMIT. This
    > facility
    > | has evolved, and while most distributions don't bother to configure any
    > | limits they are easily setup and can serve as a protective barrier
    > between
    > | you and a poorly written application.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.micromux.com/2008/04/15/r...imultaneously/

    What an absolutely pathetic troll attempt. Even for a scumbag like you Roy
    Schestowitz. What's next... Linux is better because the background color on
    the installer is red instead of the blue that Windows has?

    Windows doesn't have a ULIMIT. But it's trivial to limit the number of
    "handles" for a user. By limiting the number of handles you've limited the
    total number of processes, threads, open-files and other resources for the
    user.

    But otherwise yeah... I'm sure lots of "normal people" are going to start
    using linux now because of the ULIMIT that can be set (although I don't know
    of a single distro that has ULIMIT set at anything other than "unlimited" by
    default.)

  3. Re: [News] Linux Has Fork() Advantage Over Windows

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks