    I can login, launch pidgin and that synergy gui, but after about 30-40sec
    the laptop freezes. Unresponsive, clock frozen and nothing working except
    rebooting, followed by the same thing again."

    #12 at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2

    Hadn't he heard? Acer recommends Windows XP or Windows Vista on its laptops

  2. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    DFS wrote:

    > "My acer TravelMate220 is doing something similar.
    > I can login, launch pidgin and that synergy gui, but after about 30-40sec
    > the laptop freezes. Unresponsive, clock frozen and nothing working except
    > rebooting, followed by the same thing again."
    >
    > #12 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2
    >

    > Hadn't he heard? Acer recommends Windows XP or Windows Vista on its
    > laptops

    You should have kept reading the thread Stewie, instead of simply nodding in
    that dim way and cherry picking comments because one of them suits your
    bigoted agenda.

  3. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to30, freeze, reboot...

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:51:01 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "My acer TravelMate220 is doing something similar. I can login, launch
    > pidgin and that synergy gui, but after about 30-40sec the laptop
    > freezes. Unresponsive, clock frozen and nothing working except
    > rebooting, followed by the same thing again."
    >
    > #12 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2
    >

    > Hadn't he heard? Acer recommends Windows XP or Windows Vista on its
    > laptops

    What he had heard was the freedom to choose, he probably had to buy the
    laptop with Microsoft as its OS, but decided to use a more advanced OS, I
    would guess that pidgin has issues, and nothing to do with the OS he
    installed.

    I had no idea what pidgin did until I just looked it up, I understand why
    so many posts have shown up saying it crashes linux boxes, so another
    major threat to a Microsoft dominated bit of software and the clowns all
    pile in.

    Jem..

  4. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    Jeremy Fisher writes:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:51:01 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My acer TravelMate220 is doing something similar. I can login, launch
    >> pidgin and that synergy gui, but after about 30-40sec the laptop
    >> freezes. Unresponsive, clock frozen and nothing working except
    >> rebooting, followed by the same thing again."
    >>
    >> #12 at
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2
    >>

    >> Hadn't he heard? Acer recommends Windows XP or Windows Vista on its
    >> laptops

    > What he had heard was the freedom to choose, he probably had to buy the
    > laptop with Microsoft as its OS, but decided to use a more advanced OS, I
    > would guess that pidgin has issues, and nothing to do with the OS he
    > installed.
    >
    > I had no idea what pidgin did until I just looked it up, I understand why
    > so many posts have shown up saying it crashes linux boxes, so another
    > major threat to a Microsoft dominated bit of software and the clowns all
    > pile in.
    >
    > Jem..

    I used pidgin under Debian lenny before I found an emacs jabber
    client. It (pidgin) is quite good IMO and is much better than the emacs
    jabber interface.

    --
    "I am not worthy to wipe your pee-pee "
    -- Liarnut in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  5. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:51:01 -0400
    :
    > "My acer TravelMate220 is doing something similar.
    > I can login, launch pidgin and that synergy gui, but after about 30-40sec
    > the laptop freezes. Unresponsive, clock frozen and nothing working except
    > rebooting, followed by the same thing again."
    >
    > #12 at
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2
    >

    > Hadn't he heard? Acer recommends Windows XP or Windows Vista on its laptops

    Well, obviously, Windows Vista is a bastion of stability
    compared to Linux, then right?

    Oh, wait...

    http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread84191.html

    Also not good:

    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b54253

    It is possible one might blame other vendors, but one wonders here, too.

    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6927325

    looks slightly unusual but why a freeze for a misconfigured video card?

    Some helpful tips if Vista has problems:

    http://www.5starsupport.com/vista-fa...leshooting.htm

    which apparently it does on occasion:

    Granted, it could be a hardware problem:

    http://www.computing.net/answers/win...se/143982.html

    though why would this user have a problem after an update? Same
    hardware, didn't do this before...??

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=2104692

    and *this* poor user was an avid champion of Vista until...
    ....something happened...

    http://www.jkontherun.com/2007/12/another-vista-f.html

    And *don't* let the kids get involved, or this might happen:

    http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=747332

    Awww, ain't that ky00t?

    Oh, and the BSOD's still around (well, sort of), for those
    waxing nostalgic:

    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/c/program...of-death-23983

    I *hope* this one's a hardware issue:

    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102...249505&start=0

    and ditto for this one:

    http://74.55.96.66/vb/all/windows/t-...ows-Vista.html

    ....but this one clearly was a software issue on the *router*,
    if it's the same one mentioned on another thread:

    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/rss...54&forumID=826

    Now, granted, you have 1 problem mentioned; I could
    probably find 20, as Linux might have 5% of the desktop
    to Windows' 95%, if one is feeling generous (if not, I'd
    have to find maybe 200!). But if the troll is to imply
    that Linux is unstable crap, I wouldn't point to Vista as
    being rock solid either, at least on certain equipment.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    New Technology? Not There. No Thanks.

  6. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    Jeremy Fisher wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:51:01 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My acer TravelMate220 is doing something similar. I can login,
    >> launch pidgin and that synergy gui, but after about 30-40sec the
    >> laptop freezes. Unresponsive, clock frozen and nothing working except
    >> rebooting, followed by the same thing again."
    >>
    >> #12 at
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2
    >>

    >> Hadn't he heard? Acer recommends Windows XP or Windows Vista on its
    >> laptops

    > What he had heard was the freedom to choose, he probably had to buy
    > the laptop with Microsoft as its OS, but decided to use a more
    > advanced OS,

    Funny how the 'advanced OS' can't last more than 30 seconds before freezing
    and requiring a reboot.

    And if it's your claim the pidgin app is the problem, then why have a
    thousand Linux monkeys been bleating for years about "apps can't take down
    Linux"?

    > I would guess that pidgin has issues, and nothing to do
    > with the OS he installed.

    ahh... I forgot...Linux is just the kernel.

    > I had no idea what pidgin did until I just looked it up, I understand
    > why so many posts have shown up saying it crashes linux boxes,

    So you're saying the poster is a liar?

    The real problem - as usual - is it's free crapware written by a Linux hack.

    > so another major threat to a Microsoft dominated bit of
    > software and the clowns all pile in.

    huh?

  7. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    SomeBloke wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "My acer TravelMate220 is doing something similar.
    >> I can login, launch pidgin and that synergy gui, but after about
    >> 30-40sec the laptop freezes. Unresponsive, clock frozen and nothing
    >> working except rebooting, followed by the same thing again."
    >>
    >> #12 at
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freezes&page=2
    >>

    >> Hadn't he heard? Acer recommends Windows XP or Windows Vista on its
    >> laptops

    > You should have kept reading the thread Stewie, instead of simply
    > nodding in that dim way and cherry picking comments because one of
    > them suits your bigoted agenda.

    I did read the thread before posting, SlowBloke. The complainant Keba never
    posted again, and nobody ever replied to him.

    So what's your point?

  8. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to30, freeze, reboot...

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:45:34 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Jeremy Fisher wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:51:01 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "My acer TravelMate220 is doing something similar. I can login, launch
    >>> pidgin and that synergy gui, but after about 30-40sec the laptop
    >>> freezes. Unresponsive, clock frozen and nothing working except
    >>> rebooting, followed by the same thing again."
    >>>
    >>> #12 at
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?

    t=779231&highlight=freezes&page=2

    [rick@localhost ~]$ uptime 22:15:00 up 51 days, 9:57,

    > And if it's your claim the pidgin app is the problem, then why have a
    > thousand Linux monkeys been bleating for years about "apps can't take
    > down Linux"?
    >

    >> I would guess that pidgin has issues, and nothing to do with the OS he
    >> installed.

    > ahh... I forgot...Linux is just the kernel.
    >

    >> I had no idea what pidgin did until I just looked it up, I understand
    >> why so many posts have shown up saying it crashes linux boxes,

    > So you're saying the poster is a liar?
    >
    > The real problem - as usual - is it's free crapware written by a Linux
    > hack.

    The real problem is you desperately need OSS to be crapware.

    A problem in Fedora may be a Linux problem, or it may be a Fedora
    problem. Same with any other Linux based distro. But you try to convince
    people that every single problem that affects anyone affects everyone the
    same way, and you know that's a lie.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30,freeze, reboot...

    BS! I don't belive it!!

    You?! Count to 30? Hah!

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    Misery loves company, especially this one.

  10. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
    > BS! I don't belive it!!
    >
    > You?! Count to 30? Hah!

    When I run out of fingers I go to toes, then back to fingers...

  11. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    * DFS peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
    >> BS! I don't belive it!!
    >>
    >> You?! Count to 30? Hah!

    > When I run out of fingers I go to toes, then back to fingers...

    And don't forget your "unit". It is not meant to be a sign bit.

    --
    Personal computing today is a rich ecosystem encompassing massive PC-based data
    centers, notebook and Tablet PCs, handheld devices, and smart cell phones. It

  12. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    Paul Hovnanian P.E. espoused:
    > BS! I don't belive it!!
    >
    > You?! Count to 30? Hah!

    There's a 30?

  13. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent

    wrote
    on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:04:25 +0100
    :
    > Paul Hovnanian P.E. espoused:
    >> BS! I don't belive it!!
    >>
    >> You?! Count to 30? Hah!
    >>

    > There's a 30?

    There had better be life after 30, or I'm in trouble,
    having been born well before 1978...

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.

  14. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30,freeze, reboot...

    Mark Kent wrote:

    > Paul Hovnanian P.E. espoused:
    > > BS! I don't belive it!!
    > >
    > > You?! Count to 30? Hah!
    > >

    > There's a 30?

    Yep. Right after 2F.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:Paul@Hovnanian.com
    Error reading FAT record: Try the SKINNY one? (Y/N)

  15. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Paul Hovnanian P.E.

    wrote
    on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:26:04 -0700
    <485C66BC.DE787D5E@hovnanian.com>:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul Hovnanian P.E. espoused:
    >> > BS! I don't belive it!!
    >> >
    >> > You?! Count to 30? Hah!
    >> >

    >> There's a 30?

    > Yep. Right after 2F.

    Oh, now you've hexed him.

    Of course, since 30 = '0', one wonders if one should count to 30, or
    *from* 30 now....

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- insert random ASCII asking here
    People think that libraries are safe. They're wrong. They have ideas.
    (Also occasionally ectoplasmic slime and cute librarians.)

  16. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    * Paul Hovnanian P.E. peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul Hovnanian P.E. espoused:
    >> > BS! I don't belive it!!
    >> >
    >> > You?! Count to 30? Hah!
    >> >

    >> There's a 30?

    > Yep. Right after 2F.

    Or right after 027.

    --
    It's not manufacturers trying to rip anybody off or anything like that.
    There's nobody getting rich writing software that I know of.

  17. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    Paul Hovnanian P.E. espoused:
    > Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul Hovnanian P.E. espoused:
    >> > BS! I don't belive it!!
    >> >
    >> > You?! Count to 30? Hah!
    >> >

    >> There's a 30?

    > Yep. Right after 2F.

    :-))

  18. Re: Linux: freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot, count to 30, freeze, reboot...

    The Ghost In The Machine espoused:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:04:25 +0100
    >:
    >> Paul Hovnanian P.E. espoused:
    >>> BS! I don't belive it!!
    >>>
    >>> You?! Count to 30? Hah!
    >>>

    >> There's a 30?
    >>

    > There had better be life after 30, or I'm in trouble,
    > having been born well before 1978...
    >
    >:-)

    Yeah, you and me both...