Stay away from Fedora 9 - Linux

This is a discussion on Stay away from Fedora 9 - Linux ; http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/ ,---- | Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a | serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the | time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Stay away from Fedora 9

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/

    ,----
    | Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a
    | serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the
    | time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the
    | screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system.
    |

    | I tried CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch run levels and perhaps recover things from
    | a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't even
    | reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off manually.
    |

    | When I tried to reboot the system it would get to a certain point and
    | then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of
    | stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    | the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail.
    |

    | In the end I had no option but to completely reinstall from scratch. I'm
    | not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I tried
    | to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit left
    | the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar crash.
    `----

    Another untested release.

    Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

  2. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:54:00 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/
    >
    > ,----
    > | Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a |
    > serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the |
    > time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the
    > | screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system. |
    > |
    > | I tried CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch run levels and perhaps recover things
    > from | a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't
    > even | reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off
    > manually. |
    > |
    > | When I tried to reboot the system it would get to a certain point and
    > | then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of |
    > stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    > | the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail. |
    > |
    > | In the end I had no option but to completely reinstall from scratch.
    > I'm | not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I
    > tried | to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit
    > left | the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar
    > crash. `----
    >
    > Another untested release.
    >
    > Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

    A small subset of whatever you don't like has problems, and it is trash.
    Another post from "Linux advocate" Quark...

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:54:00 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/
    >
    > ,----
    >| Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a
    >| serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the
    >| time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the
    >| screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system.
    >|

    >| I tried CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch run levels and perhaps recover things from
    >| a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't even
    >| reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off manually.
    >|

    >| When I tried to reboot the system it would get to a certain point and
    >| then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of
    >| stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    >| the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail.
    >|

    >| In the end I had no option but to completely reinstall from scratch. I'm
    >| not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I tried
    >| to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit left
    >| the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar crash.
    > `----
    >
    > Another untested release.
    >
    > Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

    How these POS Linux distributions can even make it out the door is beyond
    me.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    Hadron wrote:

    > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/
    >
    > ,----
    > | Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a
    > | serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the
    > | time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the
    > | screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system.
    > |

    > | I tried CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch run levels and perhaps recover things from
    > | a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't even
    > | reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off manually.
    > |

    > | When I tried to reboot the system it would get to a certain point and
    > | then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of
    > | stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    > | the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail.
    > |

    > | In the end I had no option but to completely reinstall from scratch. I'm
    > | not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I tried
    > | to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit left
    > | the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar crash.
    > `----
    >
    > Another untested release.
    >
    > Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

    As has been posted before by several contributors (including me), Fedora is
    an experimental distro packed full of cutting edge apps not intended for
    production machines. You install it at your own risk.

  5. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    SomeBloke writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/
    >>
    >> ,----
    >> | Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a
    >> | serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the
    >> | time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the
    >> | screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system.
    >> |

    >> | I tried CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch run levels and perhaps recover things from
    >> | a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't even
    >> | reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off manually.
    >> |

    >> | When I tried to reboot the system it would get to a certain point and
    >> | then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of
    >> | stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    >> | the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail.
    >> |

    >> | In the end I had no option but to completely reinstall from scratch. I'm
    >> | not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I tried
    >> | to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit left
    >> | the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar crash.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> Another untested release.
    >>
    >> Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

    > As has been posted before by several contributors (including me), Fedora is
    > an experimental distro packed full of cutting edge apps not intended for
    > production machines. You install it at your own risk.

    Yes. Clearly. Hence my post. However, that does not condone a RELEASE
    which freezes. And it makes this a little laughable:

    ,----
    `----

    --
    "I do believe I have stated that he should be given the benefit of the
    doubt, as is his right. If he did this crime, as it would seem, then he

  6. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:23:12 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:54:00 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/
    >>
    >> ,----
    >>| Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a |
    >>serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the |
    >>time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the
    >>| screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system. |
    >>|
    >>| I tried CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch run levels and perhaps recover things
    >>from | a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't
    >>even | reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off
    >>manually. |
    >>|
    >>| When I tried to reboot the system it would get to a certain point and
    >>| then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of |
    >>stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    >>| the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail. |
    >>|
    >>| In the end I had no option but to completely reinstall from scratch.
    >>I'm | not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I
    >>tried | to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit
    >>left | the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar
    >>crash.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> Another untested release.
    >>
    >> Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

    > How these POS Linux distributions can even make it out the door is
    > beyond me.

    ... but then you are a clueless bigot.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    Rick writes:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:23:12 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:54:00 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/
    >>>
    >>> ,----
    >>>| Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a |
    >>>serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the |
    >>>time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the
    >>>| screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system. |

    >>>from | a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't
    >>>even | reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off
    >>>manually. |

    >>>| then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of |
    >>>stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    >>>| the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail. |

    >>>I'm | not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I
    >>>tried | to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit
    >>>left | the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar
    >>>crash.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> Another untested release.
    >>>
    >>> Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

    >> How these POS Linux distributions can even make it out the door is
    >> beyond me.

    > .. but then you are a clueless bigot.

    And the guy who wrote the article? Is he a clueless bigot too Rick? Do
    you think he has as good a grasp of UIs and GUIs and general man machine
    interface design as you? *chuckle*.

  8. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:05:14 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> How these POS Linux distributions can even make it out the door is
    >>> beyond me.

    >> .. but then you are a clueless bigot.

    > And the guy who wrote the article?

    I wasn't addressing the article or the author. Of course, you would know
    that if you had any reading comprehension skills.

    > Is he a clueless bigot too Rick?

    I have no idea. Why don't you go ask him?

    > Do
    > you think he has as good a grasp of UIs and GUIs and general man machine
    > interface design as you?

    Dunno.

    > *chuckle*.

    It's nice to see that, even though you are a dishonest POS, you can still
    laugh.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:33:55 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/
    >>
    >> ,----
    >> | Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a
    >> | serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the
    >> | time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the
    >> | screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system.
    >> |

    >> | I tried CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch run levels and perhaps recover things from
    >> | a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't even
    >> | reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off manually.
    >> |

    >> | When I tried to reboot the system it would get to a certain point and
    >> | then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of
    >> | stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    >> | the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail.
    >> |

    >> | In the end I had no option but to completely reinstall from scratch. I'm
    >> | not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I tried
    >> | to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit left
    >> | the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar crash.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> Another untested release.
    >>
    >> Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

    > As has been posted before by several contributors (including me), Fedora is
    > an experimental distro packed full of cutting edge apps not intended for
    > production machines. You install it at your own risk.

    Further proving that the "true Linux advocate" Quack hasn't a clue wtf
    it's talking about when it comes to linux distros.

    --
    Using anonymous remailers suggests that the poster
    is merely a troll, & not prepared to stand by what

  10. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:33:55 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/
    >>
    >> ,----
    >>| Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a
    >>| serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the
    >>| time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but the
    >>| screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system.
    >>|

    >>| I tried CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch run levels and perhaps recover things from
    >>| a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I couldn't even
    >>| reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power it off manually.
    >>|

    >>| When I tried to reboot the system it would get to a certain point and
    >>| then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of
    >>| stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    >>| the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail.
    >>|

    >>| In the end I had no option but to completely reinstall from scratch. I'm
    >>| not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver I tried
    >>| to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before bit left
    >>| the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar crash.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> Another untested release.
    >>
    >> Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

    > As has been posted before by several contributors (including me), Fedora is
    > an experimental distro packed full of cutting edge apps not intended for
    > production machines. You install it at your own risk.

    Yawwn....

    Tell me what Linux distribution ISN'T experimental?
    Suse/Novel and Redhat SEL and maybe one or two others.
    The rest?

    Use at your own risk...

    Linux should come with a warning sticker" Use at your own risk".

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:mK6dnYXoxel4fMrVnZ2dnUVZ_rzinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:05:14 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> .. but then you are a clueless bigot.

    >> And the guy who wrote the article?

    > I wasn't addressing the article or the author. Of course, you would
    > know
    > that if you had any reading comprehension skills.
    >
    >> Is he a clueless bigot too Rick?

    > I have no idea. Why don't you go ask him?
    >
    >> Do
    >> you think he has as good a grasp of UIs and GUIs and general man
    >> machine
    >> interface design as you?

    > Dunno.
    >
    >> *chuckle*.

    > It's nice to see that, even though you are a dishonest POS, you can
    > still
    > laugh.
    >
    > --
    > Rick

    Is anyone around here mature and knowledgeable enough to
    discuss the *topic*? *The Topic??*

    Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 Jun 17]

  12. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    Rick writes:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:05:14 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> .. but then you are a clueless bigot.

    >> And the guy who wrote the article?

    > I wasn't addressing the article or the author. Of course, you would know
    > that if you had any reading comprehension skills.

    Oh, I thought you might like to discuss the article. Silly me. Still,
    its easier to just insult rather than to read (and more importantly)
    comprehend what is being said and to further consider the ramifications
    of such a release and how to improve such.

    >> Is he a clueless bigot too Rick?

    > I have no idea. Why don't you go ask him?

    Did you go and ask the person you said was a clueless bigot? Oh
    dear. Poor Rick.

    >> Do
    >> you think he has as good a grasp of UIs and GUIs and general man machine
    >> interface design as you?

    > Dunno.

    I do. Some might suggest even better ....

    >> *chuckle*.

    > It's nice to see that, even though you are a dishonest POS, you can still
    > laugh.

    You make it so easy.

    --
    BOY is Microsoft doomed! LOL!

  13. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:03:12 +0000, Martha Adams wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:mK6dnYXoxel4fMrVnZ2dnUVZ_rzinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> And the guy who wrote the article?

    >> I wasn't addressing the article or the author. Of course, you would
    >> know
    >> that if you had any reading comprehension skills.
    >>
    >>> Is he a clueless bigot too Rick?

    >> I have no idea. Why don't you go ask him?
    >>
    >>> Do
    >>> you think he has as good a grasp of UIs and GUIs and general man
    >>> machine
    >>> interface design as you?

    >> Dunno.
    >>
    >>> *chuckle*.

    >> It's nice to see that, even though you are a dishonest POS, you can
    >> still
    >> laugh.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

    > Is anyone around here mature and knowledgeable enough to discuss the
    > *topic*? *The Topic??*

    Dunno :-)

    How about this....
    I you can't deal with bleeding edge software, don't use Fedora. If you
    can deal with bleeding edge software, maybe Fedora 9 is for you.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:55:18 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> And the guy who wrote the article?

    >> I wasn't addressing the article or the author. Of course, you would
    >> know that if you had any reading comprehension skills.

    > Oh, I thought you might like to discuss the article. Silly me. Still,

    Well.. you can stop being silly, can't you?

    > its easier to just insult rather than to read (and more importantly)
    > comprehend what is being said and to further consider the ramifications
    > of such a release and how to improve such.

    That's funny, coming from you.

    >>> Is he a clueless bigot too Rick?

    >> I have no idea. Why don't you go ask him?

    > Did you go and ask the person you said was a clueless bigot?

    Nope. I have an idea about you and flatfarb. CLuelsess bigots. Both.

    > Oh dear. Poor Rick.

    I'm not poor.

    >>> Do
    >>> you think he has as good a grasp of UIs and GUIs and general man
    >>> machine interface design as you?

    >> Dunno.
    >>

    > I do. Some might suggest even better ....

    Goodie for them.

    >>> *chuckle*.

    >> It's nice to see that, even though you are a dishonest POS, you can
    >> still laugh.

    > You make it so easy.

    Goodie for you.
    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:56:29 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:33:55 +0100, SomeBloke wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6492/4/
    >>>
    >>> ,----
    >>>| Just as I thought I was getting comfortable with Fedora there was a |
    >>>serious system crash. I had Firefox, Deluge, and Pidgin open at the |
    >>>time, which is nothing intensive for a powerful system like this but
    >>>the | screen froze and I found I couldn't revive the system. |

    >>>from | a terminal but the system was completely unresponsive. I
    >>>couldn't even | reset the system with CTRL+ALT+DEL and I had to power
    >>>it off manually. |

    >>>| then the whole screen would just flash on and off with no sign of |
    >>>stopping. I tried a few times to make it work and even tried recovering
    >>>| the system with the Fedora DVD to no avail. |

    >>>I'm | not sure what caused this but I suspect it was the Nvidia driver
    >>>I tried | to install. I rebuilt the system up the same point as before
    >>>bit left | the video drivers alone, hoping this would prevent a similar
    >>>crash.
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> Another untested release.
    >>>
    >>> Still, he's probably a "wintroll" eh?

    >> As has been posted before by several contributors (including me),
    >> Fedora is an experimental distro packed full of cutting edge apps not
    >> intended for production machines. You install it at your own risk.

    > Yawwn....
    >
    > Tell me what Linux distribution ISN'T experimental? Suse/Novel and
    > Redhat SEL and maybe one or two others. The rest?

    Mandriva, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS

    > Use at your own risk...
    >
    > Linux should come with a warning sticker" Use at your own risk".

    You mean like Windows does?

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    Rick writes:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:55:18 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> I wasn't addressing the article or the author. Of course, you would
    >>> know that if you had any reading comprehension skills.

    >> Oh, I thought you might like to discuss the article. Silly me. Still,

    > Well.. you can stop being silly, can't you?
    >
    >> its easier to just insult rather than to read (and more importantly)
    >> comprehend what is being said and to further consider the ramifications
    >> of such a release and how to improve such.

    > That's funny, coming from you.

    >>> I have no idea. Why don't you go ask him?

    >> Did you go and ask the person you said was a clueless bigot?

    > Nope. I have an idea about you and flatfarb. CLuelsess bigots. Both.

    And your views on a fragmented UI are? *chuckle some more*.

  17. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:53:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:

    >>> Oh, I thought you might like to discuss the article. Silly me. Still,

    >> Well.. you can stop being silly, can't you?
    >>
    >>> its easier to just insult rather than to read (and more importantly)
    >>> comprehend what is being said and to further consider the
    >>> ramifications of such a release and how to improve such.

    >> That's funny, coming from you.

    >>> Did you go and ask the person you said was a clueless bigot?

    >> Nope. I have an idea about you and flatfarb. CLuelsess bigots. Both.

    > And your views on a fragmented UI are? *chuckle some more*.

    ... and you really do enjoy looking stupid ...

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:03:12 +0000, Martha Adams wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:mK6dnYXoxel4fMrVnZ2dnUVZ_rzinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> I wasn't addressing the article or the author. Of course, you would
    >>> know
    >>> that if you had any reading comprehension skills.

    >>> I have no idea. Why don't you go ask him?

    >>> Dunno.

    >>> It's nice to see that, even though you are a dishonest POS, you can
    >>> still
    >>> laugh.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rick

    >> Is anyone around here mature and knowledgeable enough to discuss the
    >> *topic*? *The Topic??*

    > Dunno :-)
    >
    > How about this....
    > I you can't deal with bleeding edge software, don't use Fedora. If you
    > can deal with bleeding edge software, maybe Fedora 9 is for you.

    What sort of excuse is that? What excuse do you have for the other 5000
    and counting versions of linux. They all have the same beta software.

    truth hurts!

  19. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:24:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:03:12 +0000, Martha Adams wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message
    >>> news:mK6dnYXoxel4fMrVnZ2dnUVZ_rzinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Is anyone around here mature and knowledgeable enough to discuss the
    >>> *topic*? *The Topic??*

    >> Dunno :-)
    >>
    >> How about this....
    >> I you can't deal with bleeding edge software, don't use Fedora. If you
    >> can deal with bleeding edge software, maybe Fedora 9 is for you.
    >>

    > What sort of excuse is that?

    It is not an exscuse at all.

    > What excuse do you have for the other 5000
    > and counting versions of linux.

    You may now show evidence there are 5000 versions of Linux.

    > They all have the same beta software.

    Don't like the software? Don't use it.

    > truth hurts!

    Stop staring in a mirror.

    --
    Rick

  20. Re: Stay away from Fedora 9

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 19:44:30 -0500
    :
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 00:24:35 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Dunno :-)
    >>>
    >>> How about this....
    >>> I you can't deal with bleeding edge software, don't use Fedora. If you
    >>> can deal with bleeding edge software, maybe Fedora 9 is for you.
    >>>

    >> What sort of excuse is that?

    > It is not an exscuse at all.
    >
    >> What excuse do you have for the other 5000
    >> and counting versions of linux.

    > You may now show evidence there are 5000 versions of Linux.

    Dunno about 5000, but distrowatch does show 100
    distributions, tracks at least 349 distributions, and
    hints at linuxcd.org having "1000+ versions Linux & BSD".
    There are indeed more than 1000 versions of the Linux
    kernel (if one counts ancient ones like 0.99pl12 and 1.0
    branches and all that), but most will be interested in
    the kernel released with the distribution of interest,
    which is usually pretty recent, and nowadays is version
    2.6.something (in my case, 2.6.24).

    Of course most here will probably be most interested in
    the "Top Ten". As of today, that's Ubuntu through Damn Small.
    (Gentoo is #17 today, just below Puppy. Phooey. :-) )

    Apparently all this choice is way too confusing for some people.

    *shrug*

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    fortune: not found

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast