[News] - Linux

  1. [News]

    Spyware bill cloaks a mini-UCITA

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The holy grail for the software industry's political muscle has long been
    | what in UCITA was called "electronic self help" - the right of software
    | publishers to remotely disable their software on the mere suspicion that it
    | hasn't been paid for. UCITA was ultimately stopped, but last Wednesday the
    | Senate Commerce Committee held a hearing on a bill that nominally is supposed
    | to fight spyware but seems intended to make remote disabling legal.
    `----

    http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/.../16/1219/71034

    The only way to control and to actually **own** what's on your hard-drive (long
    time) is to choose a Free operating system. Mac OS X and Windows are turning
    into cages over time, gradually.

    Recent:

    NBC to Apple: Build antipiracy into iTunes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NBC Universal would like to have its TV shows distributed once again through
    | Apple's iTunes service, a top executive said Wednesday, but he called for
    | antipiracy measures to help protect his business' revenue. *
    `----

    RIAA boss: Move copyright filtering from ISPs to users’ PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The issue of encryption "would have to be faced," Sherman admitted after
    | talking about the wonders of filtering. "One could have a filter on the end
    | user's computer that would actually eliminate any benefit from encryption
    | because if you want to hear [the music], you would need to decrypt it, and at
    | that point the filter would work."
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...n-problem.html

    Future OS X To Be DRM Restricted?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For example, a patent has recently turned up from Apple for a DRM system that
    | could affect where and how software is run on OS X. Before going any further,
    | the very mention of these three letters (D-R-M) together in connection with
    | Apple’s operating system is discouraging because we’re supposed to be looking
    | towards the open future and not the closed past.
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...790&Itemid=449

    Microsoft: We Like DRM

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
    | tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
    | in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
    | are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zun...rtner=yahootix
    http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

  2. Re: [News]

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Spyware bill cloaks a mini-UCITA

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks