[News] [SOT] Google Helps Fight Against Tiered Web, Discrimination - Linux

  1. [News] [SOT] Google Helps Fight Against Tiered Web, Discrimination

    Google preps net neut dowser

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In an effort to identify traffic discrimination by American ISPs, Google is
    | prepping a suite of network analysis tools for everyday broadband users.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "If the broadband providers aren’t going to tell you exactly what’s happening
    | on their networks," Whitt told The Reg, "we want to give users the power to
    | find out for themselves."
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...agement_tools/

    Recent:

    FCC's Martin: Comcast blocking was widespread

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Comcast's slowing of peer-to-peer traffic appeared to be more widespread than
    | the company has disclosed, the chairman of the US Federal Communications
    | Commission said this week. *
    `----

    Related:

    Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
    | acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
    | use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
    | are being told nothing about how the network technology works, *
    `----

    http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comca...hey-liars-too/

    Comcast admits paying attendees at FCC hearing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Comcast Corp. admitted yesterday that it paid people to attend a government
    | hearing. Company critics say the freelance attendees were there to crowd them
    | out; Comcast says they were merely saving seats for employees. *
    `----

    http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...C_hearing.html

    Comcast stacked Net Neutrality meeting

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...net-neutrality

    Allegations fly in FCC hearing aftermath

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Comcast Corp. on Tuesday acknowledged hiring people to fill seats before the
    | start of a contentious federal hearing on how the company manages its
    | broadband network, allowing its employees to take those seats when the
    | filled-to-capacity hearing started. *
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080227/...net_regulation

    Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
    | to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
    | can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
    | the transmission of future packets. *
    |
    | According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
    | sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
    | from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection. *
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

    Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
    | compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
    | Profile, Research) known as Google Apps. *
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071114?rpc=44

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Google Helps Fight Against Tiered Web, Discrimination

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

> [...]
    > | filled-to-capacity hearing started.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080227/...net_regulation
    >

    > Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is
    > allowed
    > | to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your
    > ISP
    > | can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by
    > blocking
    > | the transmission of future packets.
    > |
    > | According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
    > | sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to
    > be
    > | from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection.

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks