[News] IBM Ponders Making DB2 Free Software! - Linux

  1. [News] IBM Ponders Making DB2 Free Software!

    IBM may open source DB2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | IBM is positive about the possibility of bringing out its DB2
    | database-management software under an open-source licence.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9434137,00.htm

    Related:

    IBM's EnterpriseDB stake: not what you think

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ergo, this deal is IBM dipping its feet gingerly into a back door challenge
    | to Oracle, not MySQL. Ever since IBM held back on its own SQL database
    | invention, allowing Oracle to grab leadership of the market, it has always
    | responded by making DB2 cheaper. But it still plays second banana. Investing
    | a modest chunk in EnterpriseDB is a way of having somebody else test drive a
    | new strategy for carving a wedge inside the Oracle market, something that IBM
    | has hungered for going back at least 20 years. * * *
    `----

    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/0...prisedb_stake/

    Agri Stats Selects Enterprise Open Source DB, Dumps IBM DB2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The renowned stability and reliability of EnterpriseDB's PostgreSQL
    | foundation was a key factor in Agri Stats? decision to replace DB2
    | with EnterpriseDB. Since the switch, Agri Stats has enjoyed
    | trouble-free operation.
    `----

    http://in.sys-con.com/read/284787_p.htm

    Open Season: Firm bets the farm on open source database

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When the xBase database's large size made custom reporting using
    | xBase impractical, Agri Stats chose IBM's DB2 Workgroup Edition
    | relational database as an upgrade to both xBase and DB2/400. However,
    | DB2's instability and frequent crashes in the test environment made
    | it unsuitable for Agri Stats' mission-critical production needs.
    |
    | Since the switch to EnterpriseDB, executives from Agri Stats said the
    | firm has enjoyed trouble-free operation.
    `----

    http://searchopensource.techtarget.c...219937,00.html
    http://tinyurl.com/m3gkz

  2. Re: [News] IBM scoffs at the idea of making DB2 Free Software!

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > IBM may open source DB2
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | IBM is positive about the possibility of bringing out its DB2
    > | database-management software under an open-source licence.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9434137,00.htm

    Dream on. Why would a for profit company like IBM give their software away
    for free?

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...8ly9tEXuMjtBAF

    San Francisco - IBM said Monday that it doesn't plan to open-source its DB2
    database, despite a published report quoting a company executive in the U.K.
    saying that an open-source move might become necessary.

  3. Re: [News] IBM Ponders Making DB2 Free Software!

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > IBM may open source DB2
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | IBM is positive about the possibility of bringing out its DB2
    > | database-management software under an open-source licence.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9434137,00.htm

    If they do a gpl2 or a gpl3 licensed version of DB2... I'll move every
    database I touch to using it...

    Awesome news.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)