[News] Microsoft Unwelcome by Open Source Community - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft Unwelcome by Open Source Community

    Reaction to News of Microsoft's Support of Open Source Census

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When we first told you about the Open Source Census back in April, there were
    | already a number of sponsors, "with more expected to sign on in the future."
    | Well, today, another sponsor was announced and the name may surprise you --
    | or maybe not. Microsoft. As expected, some open source supporters are in a
    | twist over the news, while others are waxing philosophical.
    | ZDNet's Mary-Jo Foley thinks that perhaps the move is motivated by
    | Microsoft's desire for greater interoperability with open source systems, and
    | also to gain a "better understanding of where/how open-source software is
    | gaining traction in enterprises in order to better fight it."

    Groklaw: "Um. They want to figure out who to sue over their stupid patents they
    allege are being infringed? You think? Learning from history and past
    Microsoft paid-for studies, I'd also predict that we will see a headline that
    Novell is winning in adoption rates, thus "proving" that it was right to sell
    out and sign a patent deal with Microsoft. A secondary finding could be that
    enterprise use of Linux otherwise is slowing, compared to a healthy Microsoft,
    I've no doubt. Thanks, Mary Jo, for letting us know Microsoft is funding
    this "study", so we can ignore the results. I naturally hope no one joins the
    study, now that Microsoft is sponsoring it."

    Conspiracy theory: Microsoft sponsors open source census to prepare for

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My guess? I think Microsoft wants access to the results both so it can
    | understand open source but also so it can start to consider legal actions
    | against the most popular products and the companies that develop them.
    | I'll apologize in advance if the motives are completely altruistic but if the
    | past is any evidence, we should really avoid giving this kind of information
    | to Microsoft with no benefits attached to open source.

    Michael Tiemann: According to Wikipedia (
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census): "A census is the procedure of acquiring
    information about every member of a given population. [...]
    "The census can be contrasted with sampling in which information is only
    obtained from a subset of a population. As such it is a method used for
    accumulating statistical data, and also plays a part in democracy (voting).
    Census data is also commonly used for research, business marketing, planning
    purposes and not at least as a base for sampling surveys."
    I do not see how it is valid to call this a census, unless there is a means to
    compel every single member of the open source community to surrender their
    information for the sponsors and executors the census. Is Microsoft promising
    to provide such muscle for OpenLogic? Or is Microsoft unclear on what the
    term "census" actually means. (I have my own opinions on whether they
    understand what "open source" means, at least when they use the term
    publicly.) Either way I don't see this producing a valid result, just more

    Microsoft buddies up to open source "census": Conspiracy?

    ,----[ Quote ]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This permits MS to find out the truth and to suppress any "bad news". MS will
    | also be able to "talk to" people that are getting started with FOSS.
    | All we will hear is how Linux/FOSS is struggling and just not getting
    | deployed to any real extent.

    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Unwelcome by Open Source Community

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht
    > Reaction to News of Microsoft's

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks