[News] [SOT] New Attacks by Intellectual Monopolies and Suppressive Regimes - Linux

  1. [News] [SOT] New Attacks by Intellectual Monopolies and Suppressive Regimes

    Associated Press Clamps Down on Blogs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A weekend incident involving The Drudge Retort and multiple Associated Press
    | articles has created a lot of drama between the media giant and the
    | exponentially growing blogosphere.
    `----

    http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007115.html

    Blogger arrests hit record high

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More bloggers than ever face arrest for exposing human rights abuses or
    | criticising governments, says a report.
    `----

    Legal Battle Over Narnia Domain Name

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A Scottish father has become entangled in a legal battle with the estate of
    | author C.S. Lewis after purchasing a Narnia Internet domain name for his
    | 10-year-old son as a birthday present.
    |
    | Richard and Gillian Saville-Smith, of Edinburgh, paid $140 to buy the domain
    | name Narnia.mobi from the Internet registration company Fasthosts in 2006 so
    | their son could use it as an email address.
    |
    | The C.S. Lewis Company, owner of the author's estate requested they return
    | the domain name but the family refused. The family then received a 128-page
    | legal complaint filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization
    | (WIPO) in Geneva, Switzerland.
    `----

    http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...ia-domain-name

    Related:

    Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
    | that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
    | bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
    | organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe. *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...blogging_pact/

    Chinese Internet dissident committed to mental hospital

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "It is not acceptable that Chinese authorities use such methods to silence
    | citizens who have merely peacefully voiced their opinions", expressed the
    | organisation in an announcement. Apparently authorities have not abandoned
    | the practice of punishing those who have exposed the abuse of power and
    | defied censorship by compulsorily committing them to mental institutions.
    `----

    The Land of "Nothing for free"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I was down there to give a talk on "Open Source Business Models"
    | for a conference. Also represented were entertainment industry
    | lawyers, "Big Telecom" management, and a smattering of software
    | people. Microsoft was there of course. You can't hold a church
    | fete with "Open Source" on the banner these days without Microsoft
    | turning up and requesting representation. At least we also had
    | Bruce Perens on our side to help make up the balance. The venue
    | eas an unbelievably expensive hotel. Even though I was on
    | expenses I balked at asking the company to pay for a room
    | there and found something cheaper (not by much) a few miles
    | down the road.
    `----

    http://samba.org/samba/news/articles.../column11.html

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] New Attacks by Intellectual Monopolies and Suppressive Regimes

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Associated Press Clamps Down on Blogs
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A weekend incident involving The Drudge Retort and multiple Associated
    > Press
    > | articles has created a lot of drama between the media giant and the
    > | exponentially growing blogosphere.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007115.html
    >
    > Blogger arrests hit record high
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | More bloggers than ever face arrest for exposing human rights abuses or
    > | criticising governments, says a report.
    > `----

    > Legal Battle Over Narnia Domain Name
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A Scottish father has become entangled in a legal battle with the estate
    > of
    > | author C.S. Lewis after purchasing a Narnia Internet domain name for his
    > | 10-year-old son as a birthday present.
    > |
    > | Richard and Gillian Saville-Smith, of Edinburgh, paid $140 to buy the
    > domain
    > | name Narnia.mobi from the Internet registration company Fasthosts in
    > 2006 so
    > | their son could use it as an email address.
    > |
    > | The C.S. Lewis Company, owner of the author's estate requested they
    > return
    > | the domain name but the family refused. The family then received a
    > 128-page
    > | legal complaint filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization
    > | (WIPO) in Geneva, Switzerland.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...ia-domain-name
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Yahoo!, Microsoft

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks