[News] The Powers of Linux Software Installation - Linux

  1. [News] The Powers of Linux Software Installation

    Software installation woes on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While we gracefully installed our favorite Linux distro, one of the mundane
    | problems which most users face is - installing a new software. In the
    | beginning, software installation on a Linux distro can seem extremely
    | intimidating while using a terminal but more often than not we can install
    | things graphically. Installing software on Linux is not only easier than most
    | of us think, but it also has some special features which help software’s to
    | be updated automatically!
    `----

    http://www.brajeshwar.com/2008/softw...tion-on-linux/

    Recent:

    Package Management - Avoiding the Two Step

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | See, the beauty is that even though things like apt-get and synaptic make
    | installing programs as easy as double clicking on setup.exe -- the difference
    | is that we have a choice as to whether or not we pick the convenience of
    | package management. It's the freedom to choose that makes Linux and open
    | source so great.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...iding-two-step

    Related:

    Get down and dirty with Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Package managers make getting to grips with Linux easier
    |
    | Let me start with a controversial statement: installing new software is
    | almost always easier on Linux than on Windows. On most Linux systems, a
    | package manager takes care of both the installation and removal of software. Â*
    `----

    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=10970

    The Thing About Beagle

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Beagle is a desktop search tool for Gnome. I thought I might give it
    | a go, because sometimes I need to find things. Since I am using KDE I
    | also installed Kerry, which is a KDE front end for Beagle. All of this
    | can be accomplished in Debian as follows:
    |
    | apt-get install kerry
    |
    | Phew, that was tricky. I can see why those windows guys find Linux
    | sooo difficult. It is waaaaay easier to go to some random website,
    | download an installer, pray that it is safe, double-click on the
    | installer, click "Yes, I do agree to all of these outrageous license
    | terms and I don't mind that it includes spyware, and adware", click
    | Next, Next, Next, and finally reboot a couple of times.
    `----

    http://benhay.blogspot.com/2006/11/t...ut-beagle.html

    Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing
    | new software is almost always easier on Linux than on
    | Windows or the Mac OS.
    |
    | I can already envision the angry e-mail. It'll come from
    | the folks who write each month, certain that if they use
    | enough capital letters and exclamation points, they'll
    | convince me that LINUX SUCKS!!!
    |
    | But I'll say it again: Installing new software is, in
    | most cases, easier under Linux than under other
    | operating systems. I've touched on the simple reason
    | why many times in this column. On most Linux systems,
    | an app called the package manager takes care of
    | software installation and removal.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...x/article.html

    Flipping the Linux switch: Disturbingly easy installs, now with sound and
    action

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Last week, we walked through installing Ubuntu Linux.
    | It's not a particularly hard process, and Ubuntu is great because it clearly
    | illustrates the basic steps every Linux distribution goes through when it
    | installs on a hard drive. Even if you don't use Ubuntu or a derivative, just
    | looking at the installer screenies gives a nice story arc to a generic Linux
    | install. Â* Â*
    `----

    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/03...alls-now-with/

    VoIPowering Your Office: Warming Up PBX in a Flash

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In these here modern times, installing anything Linux-based is as easy as
    | falling over, and so, barely worthy of mention. But PBX in a Flash takes an
    | unusual approach. The usual way to package a Linux-based software appliance
    | is to bundle everything on a single CD—the operating system and all the
    | applications. PBX in a Flash gives you CentOS Linux 5, which is my personal
    | favorite for VoIP servers, because it's rock-solid, stable, and well
    | maintained. Which it should be, as it is a direct clone of Red Hat Enterprise
    | Linux. RHEL, according to the GPL and good manners, makes its source code
    | readily available. The CentOS team take the RHEL source code, remove all the
    | trademarked bits such as branding and artwork, and re-compile it as CentOS.
    | Anyone can do this, so what makes CentOS special?
    `----

    http://www.voipplanet.com/background...le.php/3714226

  2. Re: [News] The Powers of Linux Software Installation

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Software installation woes on Linux

    It pales by comparison to the hardware woes with common devices like
    scanners, GPS units, PDA's etc.