Ten Reasons Not to buy Microsoft Vista at this time - Linux

This is a discussion on Ten Reasons Not to buy Microsoft Vista at this time - Linux ; 1: Windows XP is still for sale http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/re...s%20XP&tabid=1 2: You can still buy PC's with Good old reliable Windows XP installed 3 There are other more reliable Operating systems available Others?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Ten Reasons Not to buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    1: Windows XP is still for sale

    http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/re...s%20XP&tabid=1

    2: You can still buy PC's with Good old reliable Windows XP installed

    3 There are other more reliable Operating systems available

    Others?

  2. Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:38:24 -0700, cheley_bonstell88 wrote:

    > 1: Windows XP is still for sale
    >
    > http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/re...s%20XP&tabid=1
    >

    > 2: You can still buy PC's with Good old reliable Windows XP installed
    >

    > 3 There are other more reliable Operating systems available
    >
    > Others?

    Reasons to buy Vista:

    1) You built a new computer with a dual/quad core processor, multiple hard
    drives on RAID, high-end video card, high-end sound card, several
    gigabytes of RAM, and a nice widescreen monitor. Get the best of it with
    Vista.

    2) A lot of new features like SuperFetch, isolated kernel, better 64-bit
    support, revamped network stack, new audio stack, a better UI, among
    others

    3) Support for DirectX 10 games

    4) Piss off idiots who are stuck in the past with XP or advocating
    server/development operating systems for desktops

  3. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    Victor wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:38:24 -0700, cheley_bonstell88 wrote:
    >

    >> 1: Windows XP is still for sale
    >>
    >> http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/re...s%20XP&tabid=1
    >>

    >> 2: You can still buy PC's with Good old reliable Windows XP installed
    >>

    >> 3 There are other more reliable Operating systems available
    >>
    >> Others?

    > Reasons to buy Vista:
    >
    > 1) You built a new computer with a dual/quad core processor, multiple hard
    > drives on RAID, high-end video card, high-end sound card, several
    > gigabytes of RAM, and a nice widescreen monitor. Get the best of it with
    > Vista.

    You mean, turn that fancy new computer into a snail -- get Vista ME.

    > 2) A lot of new features like SuperFetch, isolated kernel, better 64-bit
    > support, revamped network stack, new audio stack, a better UI, among
    > others

    And a lot peripherals when the old ones aren't supported.

    > 3) Support for DirectX 10 games

    Hell, if I want play games I'll buy a Wii or a PS3.

    > 4) Piss off idiots who are stuck in the past with XP or advocating
    > server/development operating systems for desktops

    Got news for you. Linux and XP users don't envy Vista ME users. Hell, a lot
    of them *were* Vista ME users.

    Get a new shtick.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    Victor schreef:
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:38:24 -0700, cheley_bonstell88 wrote:
    >

    >> 1: Windows XP is still for sale
    >>
    >> http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/re...s%20XP&tabid=1
    >>

    >> 2: You can still buy PC's with Good old reliable Windows XP installed
    >>

    >> 3 There are other more reliable Operating systems available
    >>
    >> Others?

    > Reasons to buy Vista:
    >
    > 1) You built a new computer with a dual/quad core processor, multiple hard
    > drives on RAID, high-end video card, high-end sound card, several
    > gigabytes of RAM, and a nice widescreen monitor. Get the best of it with
    > Vista.

    Funny you claim that, the reason I switched back to XP was RAID missery
    on Vista, even after SP1.

    > 2) A lot of new features like SuperFetch, isolated kernel, better 64-bit
    > support, revamped network stack, new audio stack, a better UI, among
    > others

    new audio stack?
    You mean of course wasting CPU cycles by encrypting everything coming
    from DVD, blue ray, etc?

    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

    Do you call that an improvement?

    Also, M$ put a lot of effort into making 'protected hardware devices'
    inaccessible for open source developers, making sure they cannot access
    the hardware.

    DO you call that an improvement?

    > 3) Support for DirectX 10 games
    >
    > 4) Piss off idiots who are stuck in the past with XP or advocating
    > server/development operating systems for desktops

    Piss off yourself. I am no fan of XP, but Vista is clearly worse.
    You let M$ take away your own flexibility and freedom of choice, and are
    happy with it. That makes you a drone.

    Erwin Moller

  5. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    * Victor peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Reasons to buy Vista:
    >
    > 4) Piss off idiots who are stuck in the past with XP or advocating
    > server/development operating systems for desktops

    Yeah, why put server processes in a desktop machine? Desktop machines
    are for buying CALs to connect to the server .

    --
    Security is, I would say, our top priority because for all the exciting
    things you will be able to do with computers - organizing your lives,

  6. Re: Ten Reasons Not to buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    wrote in message

    > 1: Windows XP is still for sale
    >
    > http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/re...s%20XP&tabid=1
    >

    > 2: You can still buy PC's with Good old reliable Windows XP installed
    >

    > 3 There are other more reliable Operating systems available
    >
    > Others?

    Lets see if we can complete the list:

    4) XP is more compatible with software and hardware/driver than Vista

    5) Less risk, what if you get a problematic Vista?

    6) XP runs faster

    7) XP plays more games

    8) XP many be less expensive in the long term, less likely to need Ultimate
    upgrades to get desired features (fax policy editor etc)

    9) XP, assuming you are an XP user already, no need to learn the new
    interface.

    10) Win 7 is coming, it is likely there still will still be more XP users
    come Win 7's introduction than Vista.

  7. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    Victor wrote:

    > Reasons to buy Vista:
    >
    > blah blah blah

    Oh well, if it's that good, send me the Live CD and I'll try it before I
    install it and completely **** my system beyond repair. Thanks.

  8. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    Victor wrote:

    > 4) Piss off idiots who are stuck in the past with XP or advocating
    > server/development operating systems for desktops

    Ok, I'll buy a server with a full desktop GUI running all the time,
    chewing up RAM and processor cycles instead. Ha ha ha. What a tail!

  9. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    > Victor wrote:
    >
    >> Reasons to buy Vista:
    >>
    >> blah blah blah

    > Oh well, if it's that good, send me the Live CD and I'll try it before I
    > install it and completely **** my system beyond repair. Thanks.

    Go soak another cork. I have never heard of a Linux Live-CD changing a hard
    drive unless some drunk clicks install or format.

  10. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Canuck57

    wrote
    on Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:18:06 GMT
    :

    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    >> Victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Reasons to buy Vista:
    >>>
    >>> blah blah blah

    >> Oh well, if it's that good, send me the Live CD and I'll try it before I
    >> install it and completely **** my system beyond repair. Thanks.

    > Go soak another cork. I have never heard of a Linux Live-CD changing a hard
    > drive unless some drunk clicks install or format.

    I think he was referring to a *Vista* LiveCD -- which
    AFAIK doesn't exist though there is a legal embedded XP
    CD running around, if I'm not mistaken.

    And yes, you're correct; one has to do a little
    work to modify a hard drive using a Linux LiveCD.
    Beats accidentally formatting one's Linux partition when
    Windows "helpfully" offers to format foreign partitions.
    (Fortunately, it *does* ask.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

  11. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    On Jun 16, 3:26 am, Erwin Moller
    wrote:
    > Victor schreef:
    >

    > > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:38:24 -0700, cheley_bonstell88 wrote:

    > >> 1: Windows XP is still for sale

    > >>http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/re...s%20XP&tabid=1

    > >> 2: You can still buy PC's with Good old reliable Windows XP installed

    > >> 3 There are other more reliable Operating systems available

    > >> Others?

    > > Reasons to buy Vista:

    > > 1) You built a new computer with a dual/quad core processor, multiple hard
    > > drives on RAID, high-end video card, high-end sound card, several
    > > gigabytes of RAM, and a nice widescreen monitor. Get the best of it with
    > > Vista.

    > Funny you claim that, the reason I switched back to XP was RAID missery
    > on Vista, even after SP1.
    >

    > > 2) A lot of new features like SuperFetch, isolated kernel, better 64-bit
    > > support, revamped network stack, new audio stack, a better UI, among
    > > others

    > new audio stack?
    > You mean of course wasting CPU cycles by encrypting everything coming
    > from DVD, blue ray, etc?
    >
    > http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

    Thanks for the Gutmann reference. I had seen some other stuff of his,
    and it's absolutely devastating. I wonder if Windows 7 will scale
    back on the DRM, or make it worse. Looks like a lot of the trouble
    with Vista is due to the DRM.

  12. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > "Cork Soaker" wrote in message
    >> Victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Reasons to buy Vista:
    >>>
    >>> blah blah blah

    >> Oh well, if it's that good, send me the Live CD and I'll try it before I
    >> install it and completely **** my system beyond repair. Thanks.

    > Go soak another cork. I have never heard of a Linux Live-CD changing a hard
    > drive unless some drunk clicks install or format.

    DID I SAY IT DID?????

  13. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    Cork Soaker wrote in news:t3aii5-l6n.ln1
    @quarkbomb.dyndns.org:

    > Victor wrote:
    >
    >> Reasons to buy Vista:
    >>
    >> blah blah blah

    > Oh well, if it's that good, send me the Live CD and I'll try it before

    > install it and completely **** my system beyond repair. Thanks.

    Well....MS hasn't thought that making a LiveCD would be a good idea.

    Of course, it isn't. If people cuold try-before-they-buy, maybe noone
    would buy.

    Someone though took the time to create a Vista LiveCD, and it's only 125
    mB!!

    I'm not going to try it, you gonna try it ? Nope, I'm not gonna try it,
    you try it....let's get ____________ he'll try anyting !!

    Pick a d/l site, if you dare.........

    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...vclient&gfns=1
    &q=windows+vista+live+cd

  14. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Cork Soaker

    wrote
    on Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:48:53 +0100
    :
    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >> "Cork Soaker" wrote in message

    >>> Oh well, if it's that good, send me the Live CD and I'll try it before I
    >>> install it and completely **** my system beyond repair. Thanks.

    >> Go soak another cork. I have never heard of a Linux Live-CD changing a hard
    >> drive unless some drunk clicks install or format.
    >>

    > DID I SAY IT DID?????

    Somebody can't read. ;-) Granted, a previous poster could have
    been a little clearer regarding a (non-existent) Vista live CD.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  15. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DanS

    wrote
    on 16 Jun 2008 21:18:45 GMT
    :
    > Cork Soaker wrote in news:t3aii5-l6n.ln1
    > @quarkbomb.dyndns.org:
    >
    >> Victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Reasons to buy Vista:
    >>>
    >>> blah blah blah

    >> Oh well, if it's that good, send me the Live CD and I'll try it before
    >> I install it and completely **** my system beyond repair. Thanks.

    > Well....MS hasn't thought that making a LiveCD would be a good idea.

    I could see them making a 3-day demo CD. The technology is
    already available for songs; after 3 days the CD oxidizes
    to the point of unreadability. A time bomb could also be
    put in the OS itself; this time bomb would render an ISO
    image useless after 3-4 days unless a user resets the clock.

    > Of course, it isn't. If people cuold try-before-they-buy, maybe noone
    > would buy.

    Maybe.

    > Someone though took the time to create a Vista LiveCD,
    > and it's only 125 mB!!

    Impressive. I thought 12.5 GB would be more like it? :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  16. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    The Gutmann article is pure non-sense!
    Gutmann's claims are baseless...he never
    even ran Windows Vista!

    Read the truth!

    Peter Gutmann turns to smear tactics with help from PCWorld NZ
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=718

    Claim that Vista DRM causes full CPU load and global warming debunked!
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=673&tag=rbxccnbzd1

    Busting the FUD about Vista's DRM
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=284

    Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 1)
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=299

    Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 2)
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=304&tag=rbxccnbzd1

    Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 3)
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=309&tag=rbxccnbzd1

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    wrote:

    On Jun 16, 3:26 am, Erwin Moller
    wrote:
    > Victor schreef:
    >

    > > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:38:24 -0700, cheley_bonstell88 wrote:

    > >> 1: Windows XP is still for sale

    > >>http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/re...s%20XP&tabid=1

    > >> 2: You can still buy PC's with Good old reliable Windows XP installed

    > >> 3 There are other more reliable Operating systems available

    > >> Others?

    > > Reasons to buy Vista:

    > > 1) You built a new computer with a dual/quad core processor, multiple hard
    > > drives on RAID, high-end video card, high-end sound card, several
    > > gigabytes of RAM, and a nice widescreen monitor. Get the best of it with
    > > Vista.

    > Funny you claim that, the reason I switched back to XP was RAID missery
    > on Vista, even after SP1.
    >

    > > 2) A lot of new features like SuperFetch, isolated kernel, better 64-bit
    > > support, revamped network stack, new audio stack, a better UI, among
    > > others

    > new audio stack?
    > You mean of course wasting CPU cycles by encrypting everything coming
    > from DVD, blue ray, etc?
    >
    > http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

    Thanks for the Gutmann reference. I had seen some other stuff of his,
    and it's absolutely devastating. I wonder if Windows 7 will scale
    back on the DRM, or make it worse. Looks like a lot of the trouble
    with Vista is due to the DRM.

  17. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    On Jun 16, 2:58*pm, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"
    wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 3:26 am, Erwin Moller
    >

    > wrote:
    > > Victor schreef:

    > > > Reasons to buy Vista:

    > > > 1) You built a new computer with a dual/quad core processor, multiple hard
    > > > drives on RAID, high-end video card, high-end sound card, several
    > > > gigabytes of RAM, and a nice widescreen monitor. Get the best of it with
    > > > Vista.

    > > Funny you claim that, the reason I switched back to XP was RAID missery
    > > on Vista, even after SP1.

    > > > 2) A lot of new features like SuperFetch, isolated kernel, better 64-bit
    > > > support, revamped network stack, new audio stack, a better UI, among
    > > > others

    > > new audio stack?
    > > You mean of course wasting CPU cycles by encrypting everything coming
    > > from DVD, blue ray, etc?

    > >http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

    > Thanks for the Gutmann reference. I had seen some other stuff of his,
    > and it's absolutely devastating. * I wonder if Windows 7 will scale
    > back on the DRM, or make it worse. *Looks like a lot of the trouble
    > with Vista is due to the DRM.- Hide quoted text -

    The Gutmann article is pure non-sense!
    Gutmann's claims are baseless...he never
    even ran Windows Vista!

    Read the truth!

    Peter Gutmann turns to smear tactics with help from PCWorld NZ
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=718

    Claim that Vista DRM causes full CPU load and global warming debunked!
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=673&tag=rbxccnbzd1

    Busting the FUD about Vista's DRM
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=284

    Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 1)
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=299

    Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 2)
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=304&tag=rbxccnbzd1

    Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 3)
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=309&tag=rbxccnbzd1

  18. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Carey Frisch [MVP]

    wrote
    on Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:12:11 -0500
    :
    > The Gutmann article is pure non-sense!
    > Gutmann's claims are baseless...he never
    > even ran Windows Vista!
    >
    > Read the truth!
    >
    > Peter Gutmann turns to smear tactics with help from PCWorld NZ
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=718
    >
    > Claim that Vista DRM causes full CPU load and global warming debunked!
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=673&tag=rbxccnbzd1
    >
    > Busting the FUD about Vista's DRM
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=284
    >
    > Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 1)
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=299
    >
    > Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 2)
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=304&tag=rbxccnbzd1
    >
    > Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 3)
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=309&tag=rbxccnbzd1

    It matters little. Vista is the Next Generation of Windows,
    and will of course ultimately be accepted, if Windows 7
    doesn't outshine it first. The adoption rate appears to
    be about 5-7 years from its inception in early 2007 -- which
    is slower than XP, but not that much slower.

    Linux? Apart from the OSS community, it's hard to say
    whether it will ever gain full acceptance on the desktop as
    an equal, though its placement in the server realm is well
    entrenched (though not absolute; Windows has been making a
    fair amount of headway, though one wonders whether most of
    it is because of deals with such as goDaddy) and there may
    be a number of devices using it internally. Personally,
    I think Linux desktops have been usable since the early
    2000's, but then I'm an old Unix head.

    That is one of Linux's problems, in fact; Windows is huge
    and noisy, Linux small and almost invisible. Great for
    operations, terrible for ad revenue; as someone once
    stated, bad press is better than no press at all.

    Windows gets a lot of press. Linux gets some, but I'm
    not sure the average man-on-the-street will ever know
    the ins and outs of Linux distros. But tell him about
    Windows and he'll instantly know about ctrl-alt-delete
    "fixing" problems, and he'll probably know a fair amount
    about antiviral software as well.

    One would hope for more sophistication but I suspect most
    individuals think of the Internet as a more sophisticated
    form of television, with the computer being the device to
    display it.

    There are disturbing parallels. The radio system at
    one point was much like Usenet, but now is dominated
    by syndication. The TV broadcast network is even worse.
    Is the free Internet doomed? Or will the free part simply
    be marginalized, with the bulk of the bandwidth going for
    next years' TV shows and software specials?

    Also, YouTube hasn't been the profit center Google anticipated;
    YouTube is now also embroiled in at least one, possibly
    several, copyright lawsuits.

    Verizon has already clamped off the alt.* hierarchy,
    pruning a branch to eliminate a diseased flower (probably
    alt.binaries.erotica.bestiality.hamster.duct.tape and
    other such, but I'd have to look). Or, perhaps more aptly,
    taking a sledgehammer to attack a colony of moths or wasps.

    Can't be too careful, I guess, with all that "pirated"
    and offensive material going around -- some of which
    might include opinions on certain regions wishing for
    independence and/or actions by oppressive regimes, and
    others including "stolen" TV shows and software.

    Welcome to the New World Order.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  19. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    ZDNetís George Ou Exposed as Ignorant Microsoft Shill (Zoon!)

    The assault on reason isnít just a political phenomenon. Microsoft has
    long been developing its own cast of apologists who have eked out full
    time careers in the field of sputtering out ignorant, unfounded claims
    with such insistence and volume that the undecided simply have no
    alternative but to line up and applaud their seemingly convincing
    rhetoric. Among them is George Ou, who unsurprisingly blogs for CNETís
    ZDNet branded website.

    ZDNet desperately needs ad revenue, and the best way to drive that is
    to publish sensationalist headlines that catch the attention of
    throngs of Diggers. It doesnít matter that Digg users represent an
    unattractive demographic from a real marketing perspective; traffic is
    traffic for web click sites.

    Take Microsoftís need for constant, high pitched spin to detract from
    its grave mistakes and regular failures and combine it with ZDNetís
    unapologetically desperate brand of sensational headline writing, and
    you have fertile ground for arrogant morons ready and willing to say
    anything and everything. High up on the moron pile is George Ou, a
    blogger billed as a ďTechnical Director of ZDNet.Ē

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/0...ft-shill-zoon/

  20. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    * Carey Frisch [MVP] peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The Gutmann article is pure non-sense!
    > Gutmann's claims are baseless...he never
    > even ran Windows Vista!
    >
    > Read the truth!
    >
    > Peter Gutmann turns to smear tactics with help from PCWorld NZ
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=718
    >
    > Claim that Vista DRM causes full CPU load and global warming debunked!
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=673&tag=rbxccnbzd1

    This is George Ou. Why would one believe him?

    > Busting the FUD about Vista's DRM
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=284

    Don't know about that guy yet.

    > --