Ten Reasons Not to buy Microsoft Vista at this time - Linux

This is a discussion on Ten Reasons Not to buy Microsoft Vista at this time - Linux ; Carey Frisch [MVP] schreef: > The Gutmann article is pure non-sense! > Gutmann's claims are baseless...he never > even ran Windows Vista! > > Read the truth! > > Peter Gutmann turns to smear tactics with help from PCWorld NZ ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    Carey Frisch [MVP] schreef:
    > The Gutmann article is pure non-sense!
    > Gutmann's claims are baseless...he never
    > even ran Windows Vista!
    >
    > Read the truth!
    >
    > Peter Gutmann turns to smear tactics with help from PCWorld NZ
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=718
    >
    > Claim that Vista DRM causes full CPU load and global warming debunked!
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=673&tag=rbxccnbzd1
    >
    > Busting the FUD about Vista's DRM
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=284
    >
    > Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 1)
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=299
    >
    > Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 2)
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=304&tag=rbxccnbzd1
    >
    > Everything you've read about Vista DRM is wrong (Part 3)
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=309&tag=rbxccnbzd1

    Carey Frisch,

    Well, I do read ZDnet on a regular basis.
    (Mostly when I receive in my inbox subjects like: "Martians attacked
    Linux conference!", and I am in need of a break.)

    ZDnet used to be a reasonable reliable source of information years ago.
    I am not sure what happened lately over there (and I am sure it involves
    $), but to quote bloggers like Ed Bott as a reliable source of
    information...

    Peter Guttmann is a researcher (Department of Computer Science at the
    University of Auckland) and has nothing to gain with spreading FUD.
    His article contains references, many examples, and what is more: You
    must know very little about encryption/decryption to think this comes
    for free.

    And what is more important in my humble opinion, M$ decided to protect
    direct access to hardware (read the part "Elimination of Open-source
    Hardware Support").

    You can shout all you want about Guttman being an idiot, Vista being the
    best OS ever, etc, but that won't convince any informed person with a
    little experience in the field.

    But I guess your signature says it all:
    ------------------------------------
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience -
    Windows Vista Enthusiast
    ------------------------------------

    I have seriously NO problem with the fact you fell in love with Vista.
    Really, that is your own hobby/job/whatever, but please don't spread
    misinformation in public groups and present it like facts.

    I hate DRM. Let that be very clear: DRM sucks.
    I bought perfectly legal CDs from Sony, only to find they had a corrupt
    filesystem that made it impossible to play on my PC running a perfectly
    legal OS.
    (Then I tried my good old Redhat, but over there it filled my errorlog
    with warnings about the corrupt filesystem.)
    I ended up downloading my CDs from torrents, so I could play my CDs I
    paid for on my computer!

    Like it is now: DRM hits on the 'good users' while the majority of
    peer-to-peer-filesharing users get working versions for free.

    Nice effect. Really good thinking.
    Talking about shooting yourself in the foot...

    Screw DRM.
    Make it work, or don't use it.

    I will avoid Vista. I'll stick to 'old' XP and *nix serverside.

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

  2. Re: Reasons to NOT Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    On Jun 17, 5:20*am, Erwin Moller
    > Screw DRM.
    > Make it work, or don't use it.
    >
    > I will avoid Vista. I'll stick to 'old' XP and *nix serverside.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Erwin Moller

    Agree:

    Quite below on Vista Vs XP:

    " Would you rather throw new hardware cycles at offsetting Microsoft's
    code bloat and voracious appetite for CPU bandwidth, or at a tangible,
    measurable improvement in application throughput and user
    productivity? Enough said. "

    Interesting statistics below.

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...rsus-xp_6.html

  3. Re: Reasons to NOT Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    On Jun 17, 8:51 am, cheley_bonstel...@live.com wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 5:20 am, Erwin Moller
    >
    > > Screw DRM.
    > > Make it work, or don't use it.

    > > I will avoid Vista. I'll stick to 'old' XP and *nix serverside.

    > > Regards,
    > > Erwin Moller

    > Agree:
    >
    > Quite below on Vista Vs XP:
    >
    > " Would you rather throw new hardware cycles at offsetting Microsoft's
    > code bloat and voracious appetite for CPU bandwidth, or at a tangible,
    > measurable improvement in application throughput and user
    > productivity? Enough said. "
    >
    > Interesting statistics below.
    >
    > http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...rsus-xp_6.html

    thanks for the link.
    i'm in the market for a new laptop and have been looking for one with
    XP.
    i feel better about my decision now.

  4. Re: Reasons to NOT Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    On Jun 17, 9:12*am, mcnews wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 8:51 am, cheley_bonstel...@live.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 17, 5:20 am, Erwin Moller

    > > > Screw DRM.
    > > > Make it work, or don't use it.

    > > > I will avoid Vista. I'll stick to 'old' XP and *nix serverside.

    > > > Regards,
    > > > Erwin Moller

    > > Agree:

    > > Quite below on Vista Vs XP:

    > > " Would you rather throw new hardware cycles at offsetting Microsoft's
    > > code bloat and voracious appetite for CPU bandwidth, or at a tangible,
    > > measurable improvement in application throughput and user
    > > productivity? Enough said. "

    > > Interesting statistics below.

    > >http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...rsus-xp_6.html

    > thanks for the link.
    > i'm in the market for a new laptop and have been looking for one with
    > XP.
    > i feel better about my decision now.

    Good to hear

    I'm tired of my friends who've gotten hosed by Vista not being able to
    do the simplest thing with Vista.
    Worse, they think it's them, and have no problem with PDA's .

    Vista is also driving people over to MAC and Linux Flavors

    IMHO, Microsoft has done a great disservice to the IT world in general
    by Killing
    Windows XP.

    - SO , get it while you can.

  5. Re: Reasons to NOT Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    wrote in message
    On Jun 17, 5:20 am, Erwin Moller
    > Screw DRM.
    > Make it work, or don't use it.
    >
    > I will avoid Vista. I'll stick to 'old' XP and *nix serverside.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Erwin Moller

    Agree:

    Quite below on Vista Vs XP:

    " Would you rather throw new hardware cycles at offsetting Microsoft's
    code bloat and voracious appetite for CPU bandwidth, or at a tangible,
    measurable improvement in application throughput and user
    productivity? Enough said. "

    Interesting statistics below.

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...rsus-xp_6.html

    -----
    That was a good article. Good find.

  6. Re: Reasons to NOT Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    On Jun 17, 6:12 am, mcnews wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 8:51 am, cheley_bonstel...@live.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 17, 5:20 am, Erwin Moller

    > > > Screw DRM.
    > > > Make it work, or don't use it.

    > > > I will avoid Vista. I'll stick to 'old' XP and *nix serverside.

    > > > Regards,
    > > > Erwin Moller

    > > Agree:

    > > Quite below on Vista Vs XP:

    > > " Would you rather throw new hardware cycles at offsetting Microsoft's
    > > code bloat and voracious appetite for CPU bandwidth, or at a tangible,
    > > measurable improvement in application throughput and user
    > > productivity? Enough said. "

    > > Interesting statistics below.

    > >http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...rsus-xp_6.html

    > thanks for the link.
    > i'm in the market for a new laptop and have been looking for one with
    > XP.
    > i feel better about my decision now.

    Or try a laptop with Linux. Or a Mac. See
    http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/...cintosh-surge/

  7. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows Desktop Experience -
    > > Windows Vista Enthusiast

    > Love! Is a many splintered thing!

    Looks like we got tangled up in some Windows ngs. Scarey.

  8. Re: Reasons to NOT Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    cheley_bonstell88@live.com wrote:

    >I'm tired of my friends who've gotten hosed by Vista not being able to
    >do the simplest thing with Vista.
    >Worse, they think it's them, and have no problem with PDA's .
    >
    >Vista is also driving people over to MAC and Linux Flavors
    >

    >IMHO, Microsoft has done a great disservice to the IT world in general
    >by Killing
    >Windows XP.
    >
    >- SO , get it while you can.

    Well, "the problem" is not the killing of XP, it's how ****ty and
    resource-hungry Vista is. Just when the world is really going
    portable, M$ drops this pig onto the market and expects everyone to
    use it.

  9. Re: Reasons to Buy Microsoft Vista at this time

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote in

    >> Well....MS hasn't thought that making a LiveCD would be a good idea.

    > I could see them making a 3-day demo CD. The technology is
    > already available for songs; after 3 days the CD oxidizes
    > to the point of unreadability. A time bomb could also be
    > put in the OS itself; this time bomb would render an ISO
    > image useless after 3-4 days unless a user resets the clock.

    After a little more digging, I see that the Vista LiveCD is fake !!!

    I should have known by the size, as you pointed out, and done the digging
    before I mentioned it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2