[News] Tim O'Reilly Sees Internet 'Operating System', Mobile - Linux

  1. [News] Tim O'Reilly Sees Internet 'Operating System', Mobile

    Why Arrington is Wrong about Yahoo!-Google Deal

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 3. The real source of my argument for this position, which you linked to in
    | your piece, but I'll point to again here, is that Web 2.0, the internet
    | operating system we're building, is much bigger than search. Search is an
    | incredibly powerful subsystem of that OS, but it is just a subsystem. There
    | is lots of competition across the system as a whole, and we're a LONG way
    | from the concentration of power that represents monopoly when we take that
    | into consideration.
    |
    | 4. The landscape is changing so fast. To take only one axis, consider mobile.
    | Google doesn't dominate mobile/local search. That's a whole new game....
    | Again, there's lots of competition.
    `----

    http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20...g-about-y.html

    Most Web browsers are still eating Microsoft's lunch.

    How Firefox Outran the Hounds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Firefox has risen from humble beginnings -- it was assembled from the scraps
    | left over when Netscape was left for dead -- to become a real thorn in the
    | side of Microsoft. Now, as it prepares to go live with its third version, the
    | open source project's leadership promises more innovation.
    `----

    Recent:

    Microsoft needs system to fix Vista (and itself)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Meanwhile, another technology called "virtualization," which allows multiple
    | operating systems to run simultaneously on one PC or server, is diminishing
    | the importance of products like Vista and raises questions about its
    | future. "What is an operating system and what role should it serve?" asks
    | Whitehouse. "The OS was originally intended as an abstraction layer between
    | software applications and the computer's hardware. But with the new
    | abstraction layer between the hardware and the OS provided by virtualization
    | and products like Adobe's AIR that sit between the OS and desktop software
    | applications, the role the operating system once played is becoming
    | increasingly diminished."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Despite these new developments, Microsoft finds itself at a crossroads,
    | according to legal studies and business ethics professor Kevin Werbach.
    |
    | "The platform for most uses of PCs today is the Internet, not Windows.
    | Windows plays an important role in the ecosystem, but it's not the center of
    | the world in the way it used to be. ... Microsoft needs to decide whether it
    | cares more about the next 5 to 10 years, or the 20 years after that."
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | At a conference on April 7, Gartner analysts Michael Silver and Neil McDonald
    | argued that Windows is collapsing under its own weight and suggested that it
    | change radically to become lighter and modular so that customers only have to
    | use features they need. For Microsoft, its ecosystem and its customers, "the
    | situation is untenable," the two analysts stated.
    `----

    http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...805260302/1003

    Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
    | by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.
    `---- * * * *

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1210...googlenews_wsj

  2. Re: [News] Tim O'Reilly Sees Internet 'Operating System', Mobile

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Why Arrington is Wrong about Yahoo!-Google Deal
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | 3. The real source of my argument for this position, which you linked to
    > in
    > | your piece, but I'll point to again here, is that Web 2.0, the internet
    > | operating system we're building, is much bigger than search. Search is
    > an
    > | incredibly powerful subsystem of that OS, but it is just a subsystem.
    > There
    > | is lots of competition across the system as a whole, and we're a LONG
    > way
    > | from the concentration of power that represents monopoly when we take
    > that
    > | into consideration.
    > |
    > | 4. The landscape is changing so fast. To take only one axis, consider
    > mobile.
    > | Google doesn't dominate mobile/local search. That's a whole new game....
    > | Again, there's lots of competition.
    > `----
    >
    > http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20...g-about-y.html
    >
    > Most Web browsers are still eating Microsoft's

    Your post is off-topic in this COLA, your violating [comp.os.linux.advocacy]
    FAQ and Primer for COLA, Edition III

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks