[News] Open Source Consortium Calls for BECTA Boycott Over Scandal - Linux

  1. [News] Open Source Consortium Calls for BECTA Boycott Over Scandal

    The OSC's open letter to Becta

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you are a school, ignore Becta's project, ignore Becta, and seek advice
    | from the people who are able to give it. Any of the organisations Becta
    | rejected will be your best choice.
    |
    | If you are a member of the Open Source community or industry not yet touched
    | by this scandal, boycott the project and refuse to have anything to do with
    | it. It's not about 'Open Source', it's about jobs for the boys, spin, and
    | discrediting non-proprietary software.
    |
    | If you are anyone else, throw your hands up in despair at yet more political
    | sleaze, cronyism and incompetence, and vote for someone other than the
    | current government at the next election, preferably someone with policies on
    | Open Source and Open Government.
    `----

    http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331761b,00.htm

    The Case for Linux in the Classroom

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux is the only OS designed and equipped with Education in mind. Edubuntu,
    | a flavor of Linux, is designed with the classroom in mind. It comes
    | preinstalled with education software and applications that suit students of
    | all grade levels, and even has some handy applications for the teacher too.
    `----

    http://teachertechblog.com/the-case-...classroom/190/

    Yesterday:

    BECTA Rubbishes Almost the Entire UK Open Source Industry

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I've written a number of times about BECTA, charting its constant flip-flops
    | on open source in schools – sometimes damning it, sometimes driving it. Like
    | me, you've probably been increasingly confused about BECTA's real attitude to
    | free software. Well, I think we know now, following the snubbing of all the
    | most experienced UK open source players in the awarding of a major contract
    | to promote open source in schools. * *
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=912&blogid=14

    A learning experience

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The situation looked to have improved in early May when it was revealed that
    | Becta had issued an invitation to tender for a project to set up and run an
    | open source schools project. *
    |
    | As Glyn Moody reports, however, despite bids from the great and the good of
    | open source in the UK (supported by the likes of Red Hat and Canonical) the
    | contract was awarded to The AlphaPlus Consultancy, a company described as
    | having “no known experience or track record in FOSS”. *
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...ng-experience/

    Becta schools deal stuns British open-istas

    ,----[ Qyuote ]
    | He claimed that the decision to snub bidders that included Red Hat-backed
    | Sirius and Canonical-backed The Learning Machine exposed Becta’s open
    | source “posturings” as a “sham”. *
    |
    | Becta, which in recent months has been a vocal critic of Microsoft’s
    | monopolistic stranglehold on software, invited bidders to tender for
    | its “Open Source Schools” project in May. *
    |
    | At the time it said: “Becta wishes to ensure that schools are aware of and
    | can access the wide variety of open source software in the marketplace. To
    | achieve this it recognises that they must be supported in its awareness,
    | adoption, deployment, use and ongoing development.” *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...ource_schools/

    Recent:

    Becta, open source and education: Too little, too late?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Slow adoption of open source and free software in UK schools can be
    | attributed to the same kind of inertia that afflicts SMEs in the UK. It
    | arises from a fear of the unknown, misapprehensions of the capabilities of
    | the software, over-reliance on trusted suppliers, and general lack of
    | awareness of the alternatives - but the major obstacle has been a lack of
    | coordination, direction or understanding from the relevant authorities,
    | exacerbated by a series of agreements with Microsoft at government level that
    | have effectively tied the education system into Microsoft-only solutions.
    `----

    http://www.itpro.co.uk/603639/becta-...ittle-too-late

    Related:

    Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "A member of Parliament of the United Kingdom has launched a stinging
    | attack on the U.K. government's IT strategy, saying that it has given
    | Microsoft too much control.
    |
    | John Pugh, who is a member of Parliament, or MP, for Southport and a
    | member of the Public Accounts Committee, was speaking in an
    | adjournment debate on Tuesday that he had called. The aim of the
    | debate, he said, was to explore the alternatives to using Microsoft
    | software, including open source."
    |
    | [...]
    `----

    http://www.news.com/Lawmaker-blasts-...3-6212721.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2ashm2

    Becta's schools software scheme reported to EC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An advisor to Becta, the education technology quango, has complained
    | to the European Commission about its procurement process for firms
    | to provide online learning platforms and content to British schools.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01..._ec_complaint/

    Becta under fire for procurement framework

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Nineteen MPs have accused a government agency of restricting the
    | procurement of software in schools.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...nt_criticised/

  2. Re: [News] Open Source Consortium Calls for BECTA Boycott Over Scandal

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

> [...]
    > | attributed to the same kind of inertia that afflicts SMEs in the UK. It
    > | arises from a fear of the unknown, misapprehensions of the capabilities
    > of
    > | the software, over-reliance on trusted suppliers, and general lack of
    > | awareness of the alternatives - but the major obstacle has been a lack
    > of
    > | coordination, direction or understanding from the relevant authorities,
    > | exacerbated by a series of agreements with Microsoft at government level
    > that
    > | have effectively tied the education system into Microsoft-only
    > solutions.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.itpro.co.uk/603639/becta-...ittle-too-late
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows