[News] Enomalism Clouds Based Around Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Enomalism Clouds Based Around Linux

    Cloudy Saturday: Roll Your Own Cloud with Enomalism

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Enomalism is a provisioning and management system that gets rid of some of
    | the complexity of building a cloud infrastructure. The product was written by
    | Reuven Cohen of Enomaly, an open source consulting company based outside of
    | Toronto. Pat Wendorf, the firm's marketing director, describes Enomalism
    | as, "a turbogears, Python-based web server app that uses the libvirt library
    | from Red Hat to manage multiple hypervisors." Enomalism tries very hard to
    | make computing resources easy to access and provision based on the needs of
    | the application, rather than the location of the resources themselves.
    |
    | The genius of the product is that it is based on libvirt. This allows it to
    | easily support new technologies as they become available and supported by the
    | library. Enomalism currently supports the KVM, Xen, OpenVZ, Linux Containers
    | and VirtualBox hypervisors and the Amazon EC2 service. The company plans on
    | supporting VMware ESX in the near future.
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/165080-blog/cloud...with-enomalism

    Recent:

    Down To Business: As IBM Reaches For Cloud, Where Next Microsoft?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | IBM's alignment with Google around Linux and Internet standards should have
    | its longtime rival sweating sans Yahoo.
    `----

    SaaS, Open Source and the Migration of Burden

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just the week before I had a reporter ask me how Linux is going to deal with
    | the threat of cloud computing. The threat? I told her that virtually all of
    | the major cloud computing initiatives (except Microsoft’s) are built on
    | Linux. (There is a potential displacement there for Linux distribution
    | vendors but that’s another topic.) Linux as a platform is the enabling
    | backbone of software as a service and cloud computing.
    `----

    http://www.linux-foundation.org/webl...ion-of-burden/

    Lost in the Clouds

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just as the open source LAMP stack created the current wave of Web 2.0
    | companies, so free software will run the magic machinery keeping clouds
    | aloft.
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...in-clouds.html

    Can Microsoft be beaten in the cloud?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The spat seems to be over for now, but the fight with Phoenix is instructive.
    | Microsoft is far smarter than we generally give it credit. The company keeps
    | an eagle eye on its desktop prize, and is unlikely to allow anyone to build
    | rival technology there. The only way to compete with Microsoft on the desktop
    | is not on the desktop - it's in the cloud.
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-994...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Microsoft’s Hailstorm reappearing in the cloud?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Joel calls the creators of these efforts “architecture astronauts.” They
    | generate plenty of hype, not only on Microsoft’s part, but across the
    | industry in general around this next permutation of Cloud Computing.
    |
    | But it’s not the hype that has Joel really ticked off — it’s the fact that a
    | whole generation of valuable and highly paid software architects and
    | programmers are being sucked up into this vortex, “working on hopeless and
    | useless architecture astronomy.”
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/service-oriented/?p=1103

    Why Microsoft's approach to data centers won't work

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The problem is that each UPS, in the process of "conditioning" the power,
    | also creates "harmonics" that bounce back up the supply line and can "crap up
    | power for everyone else," Baker said.
    |
    | Harmonics is a well-known issue that's been managed in other contexts, so
    | Baker isn't saying the problem is unsolvable. But, he argues, the extra
    | infrastructure needed to alleviate the harmonics generated by 220 UPSs -- the
    | number of containers Microsoft thinks it can fit inside the Chicago data
    | center -- could easily negate the potential ROI from using containers.
    `----

    http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/i...fpid;337468494

    Related:

    Thoughts on JavaOne 2008 (mostly good, but lots of confusing messages from Sun)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Java is still the language of choice in the enterprise. Even with the rise of
    | LAMP Java remains important and makes up huge swaths of the IT landscape in
    | major enterprises--at least those who are not .NET. Even open source Java
    | applications on Windows are popular.
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-993...gativeApproach

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Enomalism Clouds Based Around Linux

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Cloudy Saturday: Roll Your Own Cloud with Enomalism
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Enomalism is a provisioning and management system that gets rid of some
    > of
    > | the complexity of building a cloud infrastructure. The product was
    > written by
    > | Reuven Cohen of Enomaly, an open source consulting company based outside
    > of
    > | Toronto. Pat Wendorf, the firm's marketing director, describes Enomalism
    > | as, "a turbogears, Python-based web server app that uses the libvirt
    > library
    > | from Red Hat to manage multiple hypervisors." Enomalism tries very hard
    > | make computing resources easy to access and provision based on the needs
    > of
    > | the application, rather than the location of the resources themselves.
    > |
    > | The genius of the product is that it is based on libvirt. This allows it
    > | easily support new technologies as they become available and supported
    > by the
    > | library. Enomalism currently supports the KVM, Xen, OpenVZ, Linux
    > Containers
    > | and VirtualBox hypervisors and the Amazon EC2 service. The company plans
    > on
    > | supporting VMware ESX in the near future.
    > `----
    >
    > http://ostatic.com/165080-blog/cloud...with-enomalism
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Down To Business: As IBM Reaches For Cloud, Where Next Microsoft?

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows