[News] A Look at the Latest Screenlets for GNU/Linux - Linux

  1. [News] A Look at the Latest Screenlets for GNU/Linux

    Screenlets

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The quality of the applets, the number of applets, the way they integrate
    | with your desktop, it’s all done perfectly.
    |
    | I used lots of “widgets” programs (on kde4, vista, xp) but the newest
    | screenlets version blows all the competition straight out of the water.
    `----

    http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/06/12/screenlets/

    Recent:

    Google Gadgets open-sourced for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Google has announced the official release of Desktop Gadgets for Linux and is
    | distributing the source code under the open-source Apache software license.
    | Although there are still bugs and the implementation is not yet entirely
    | complete, it works well enough for day-to-day use.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...for-linux.html

    A short preview of Google Gadgets for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With Google Gadgets, we get the best of both worlds: A solution backed by a
    | big company with many Gadgets already out there and something that is open
    | source. Additionally, it’s the only product right now working on all three
    | major platforms, which might turn out as the feature that makes this the
    | de-facto standard. A sign that Google is serious about this is the fact that
    | you can build this against GTK, like I did, but also against Qt, so there is
    | integration for KDE aswell.
    `----

    http://ubuntudaily.com/2008/06/04/a-...ets-for-linux/

    Google Gadgets for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Since releasing Google Desktop for Linux, we've added almost all of our most
    | requested features, like 64-bit support and the ability to search
    | applications and documents. All except one major exception: Desktop Gadgets.
    | Gadget support is not just a single feature, but rather an entire platform
    | for miniature applications. It's a complex undertaking, but we're now putting
    | the finishing touches on the product.
    `----

    http://google-opensource.blogspot.co...for-linux.html

    About Google gadgets on plasma

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I am a developer of google gadgets for linux (GGL). I've read your blog post
    | about ggl. We are very interested in integrating GGL with plasma. Actually,
    | we have written some code which can let Google gadgets running as plasmoids.
    | These code implement a script engine and a package engine, almost as you
    | described in your blog.
    |
    | After KDE's WoC integration, we decided to stop working on it till things
    | calm down. Now the first beta of KDE 4.1 was just out. I think it's the
    | right time to start it again. We'll make these code work again and then
    | release it to public.
    |
    | We are looking forward to more cooperation with KDE's team.
    `----

    http://groups.google.com/group/googl...95a1ade6a0d302

    Old:

    New Version of Screenlets: 0.0.8

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Screenlets if you don't know it are little widget like things for your
    | desktop. And if you use Compiz Fusion or Beryl you can use the like Mac's
    | dashboard if you turn the widget plug in on. *
    `----

    http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com...nlets-008.html

    "Screenlets" v0.0.4 (like OSX Dashboard)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Screenlets are small owner-drawn applications (written in Python,
    | a very simple object-oriented programming-language) that can be
    | described as "the virtual representation of things lying/standinga
    | round on your desk". Sticknotes, clocks, rulers, ... the
    | possibilities are endless. The goal of the Screenlets base-class(es)
    | is to simplify the creation of fully themeable mini-apps that each
    | solve basic desktop-work-related needs and generally improve the
    | usability and eye-candy of the modern Linux-desktop.
    `----

    http://forum.go-compiz.org/viewtopic.php?t=358

  2. Re: [News] A Look at the Latest Screenlets for GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Screenlets
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The quality of the applets, the number of applets, the way they
    > | integrate with your desktop, it?s all done perfectly.
    > |
    > | I used lots of ?widgets? programs (on kde4, vista, xp) but the newest
    > | screenlets version blows all the competition straight out of the water.
    > `----
    >
    > http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/06/12/screenlets/

    Fantastic.

    You can also get similar effects by turning the cube into an 8 sided cube
    display with transparency enabled and shadow turned off. (More than 8 can be
    better but they get smaller when seen through the translucent windows.)

    Applications that run on one screen, can be seen through the translucent
    screen as you rotate them around.
    You can see rougly 3 x full screens and 2xhalf screens.
    The left and right cannot be seen, but they act as temp
    screens where work can be dragged into and temp applications
    opend up and worked on.
    So you can work on dozens of stuff simultaneously.
    Its a very serious amount of desktop productivity
    power that other desktops cannot deliver.

+ Reply to Thread