Speed Testing the Latest Web Browsers

,----[ Quote ]
| Read the hype on every new web browser released or due out this year, and
| you'll see claims that every one of them is "faster" than all the others. You
| could compare super-specific tests and decipher all the code-brain
| terminology, and you'd still be left wondering which browser starts quicker,
| uses less memory, and slides through dynamic interfaces like Gmail the
| fastest. Since our squadron of independent analysts had the week off, we ran
| the latest editions of Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera 9.5, and Safari for
| Windows through some unscientific but highly geeky tests ourselves on a plain
| old Windows computer. Take a look at the full (and somewhat unexpected)
| results after the jump.

Firefox 3.0 RC 1 takes the lead on speed

,----[ Quote ]
| So, how does Firefox 3.0 RC 1 compare? This latest run of tests was run on
| the same hardware and software platform as previous tests (to make sure
| nothing had changed we re-ran some of the browsers to check that we got the
| same results). Also added to the listing were Opera 9.27 and Opera 9.50 Beta
| 2.

Firefox 3 Beta 5 twice as fast in the cloud: Mozilla

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox browser developer, Mozilla Foundation, says the beta latest version
| of its new browser is now twice as fast as the widely used Firefox 2.
| According to Mozilla, the performance improvements are most apparent when
| using cloud applications. *
| Mozilla says in its release notes: "improvements to our JavaScript engine as
| well as profile guided optimizations have resulted in continued improvements
| in performance. Compared to Firefox 2, web applications like Google Mail and
| Zoho Office run twice as fast in Firefox 3 Beta 5, and the popular SunSpider
| test from Apple shows improvements over previous releases." * *

Mozilla speeds up Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 3.0, released this week, is dramatically faster than its predecessor
| and rivals, benchmark tests claim -- the result of hundreds of performance
| improvements designed to make the open-source browser the best at running
| complex Web 2.0 applications, Mozilla's chief developer said this week.

Firefox 3 Beta 4 is 5x faster than IE7, 3x faster than FF2

,----[ Quote ]
| The almost-but-not-quite-final beta of Firefox 3 (FF3 beta 4) is now
| available for download. The most noticeable improvement is speed. In some
| tests, it’s three times faster than Firefox 2 (meaning the test completes in
| 1/3 the time), and a whopping five times faster than IE 7...

Mozilla: Firefox 3 beats IE7 and Opera in memory tests

,----[ Quote ]
| Work done to plug Firefox's memory leaks and reduce its RAM profile has paid
| off, two of Mozilla's engineers said Friday, as they claimed that the newest
| beta of their open-source browser uses less memory than rivals such as
| Internet Explorer and Opera.

Firefox 3 Memory Usage

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking at the graph:
| * * * All browsers increase in memory use slightly over time, but the Firefox
| * * * 3 slope is closer to 0.
| * * * The peak of Firefox 3 is lower than the terminal size of Firefox 2!
| * * * The terminal state of Firefox 3 is nearly 140MB smaller than Firefox 2.
| * * * 60% less memory!
| * * * IE7 doesn’t appear to give any memory back, even after all the windows
| * * * are closed!
| * * * Firefox 3 ends up about 400mb smaller than IE7 at the end of the test!

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)