[News] Maxthon (Proprietary) May Be Ported to GNU/Linux, Opera 9.5 Released & Reviewed - Linux

  1. [News] Maxthon (Proprietary) May Be Ported to GNU/Linux, Opera 9.5 Released & Reviewed

    Maxthon for Linux: Firefox Slayer?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | When asked whether Maxthon would be open source, Chen replied:
    |
    | We are not sure about open source now since we’re just starting with Linux.
    | But one thing for sure that we are very open to developers and end users. As
    | we always do with Maxthon, contributions, ideas, and suggestions could go
    | directly to our desktop.
    |
    | Chen also noted how many of Maxthon's standard features originated as
    | plug-ins developed by the browser’s fans. Also, plug-ins continue to be
    | created largely by non-staffers, as do skins and filters. During the early
    | development of Maxthon, when Jeff essentially was working alone on his 'labor
    | of love', other browser users noticed Maxthon and began donating their time
    | and expertise to expand the program.
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...firefox-slayer

    Opera 9.50 Is Out! Review of the Newest Opera Release

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Though closed-source, Opera is one of the best browsers out there for Linux.
    | Very rich in features, with support even for BitTorrent or widgets, Opera
    | definitely stands as a true web browser for Linux. I was really impressed by
    | this unique piece, which is definitely a strong competitor for Firefox,
    | Konqueror or Epiphany.
    `----

    http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/20...est-opera.html

    Both proprietary, but for users of other platforms this could ease migration.
    Maxthon is huge in China.

    Related:

    China's Firefox growth kicks Aussies off top user list

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Australia has missed out making it into a list of countries containing the
    | most Firefox users, with the number of Chinese users of the browser taking
    | over Australian ones between November and December.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "China is the fastest growing locale in relative share," Schroepfer said.
    `----

    Mozilla Takes on Microsoft in China

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Internet Explorer has held a virtual monopoly on the mainland, home to 160
    | million Internet users. Now, Firefox is pushing for more market share
    `----

    http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...lobal+business

    Firefox Combines Baidu Search Engine

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Mozilla project's launch by Netscape in 1998 was a defining moment for
    | the open source movement. Mozilla continues to be a leader and partner in
    | open source development, providing low cost and alternative choices for
    | technology. And, with millions of users, Mozilla is one of the largest
    | distributors of open source software. * *
    `----

    http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...20News/944888/

    Microsoft browser rival Mozilla eyes China

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | California-based Mozilla already has a presence in China via a
    | not-for-profit foundation supporting open-source software
    | projects, but the Beijing office will be its first real
    | corporate presence, Mozilla Chief Operating Officer John Lilly said on
    | Friday.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Mozilla employs 100 staff worldwide, but has a much larger
    | community of volunteers who test, tweak and share open-source
    | software such as Linux, on which Firefox is based.
    |
    | Mozilla operates through tie-ups with Google Inc. and Yahoo Inc.,
    | targeting individual Web surfers, while open-source heavyweight
    | and main Linux distributor Red Hat Inc. and, recently,
    | Oracle Corp., target corporate clients.
    `----

    http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...ticle_id=47187

    China gets into the FOSS groove

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If there is mass take-up of free and open source software in any
    | country over the next few years, that country is likely to be China.
    `----

    Will cash solve China's 'community' problem?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The government, I learnt, as well as universities are also
    | forming communities, which are sponsored and intended to attract
    | talented developers, or more, to point the contributors to the
    | cause of the sponsor. The government mainly funds the top open
    | source companies in China--those being Red Flag, Turbo Linux and
    | Sun Wah, and these groups in turn need to devote a portion of
    | their funding to the government initiative to promote skills in
    | this area. It makes sense because how can the government grow
    | its infrastructure if there is no skilled labor to develop and
    | support it?
    `----

    http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/openso...1984296,00.htm

    China's Linux industry booms, despite problems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to Lu Shouqun, China's sale of Linux was 175 million yuan
    | ($21 million) in 2005, increasing 81% compared with the previous year.
    | The sale of other open source software that year was 160 million
    | yuan ($19 million). In the operating system market, the share of
    | Linux increased from 4.2% to 9.8% between 2003 and 2005.
    `----

    http://community.linux.com/article.p...1917209&tid=53

  2. Re: [News] Maxthon (Proprietary) May Be Ported to GNU/Linux, Opera 9.5 Released & Reviewed

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    > Maxthon for Linux: Firefox Slayer?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | When asked whether Maxthon would be open source, Chen replied:
    > |
    > | We are not sure about open source now since we’re just starting with
    > Linux.
    > | But one thing for sure that we are very open to developers and end
    > users. As
    > | we always do with Maxthon, contributions, ideas, and suggestions could
    > go
    > | directly to our desktop.
    > |
    > | Chen also noted how many of Maxthon's standard features originated as
    > | plug-ins developed by the browser’s fans. Also, plug-ins continue to be
    > | created largely by non-staffers, as do skins and filters. During the
    > early
    > | development of Maxthon, when Jeff essentially was working alone on his
    > 'labor
    > | of love', other browser users noticed Maxthon and began donating their
    > time
    > | and expertise to expand the program.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...firefox-slayer
    >
    > Opera 9.50 Is Out! Review of the Newest Opera Release
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Though closed-source, Opera is one of the best browsers out there for
    > Linux.
    > | Very rich in features, with support even for BitTorrent or widgets,
    > Opera
    > | definitely stands as a true web browser for Linux. I was really
    > impressed by
    > | this unique piece, which is definitely a strong competitor for Firefox,
    > | Konqueror or Epiphany.
    > `----
    >
    > http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/20...est-opera.html
    >
    > Both proprietary, but for users of other platforms this could ease
    > migration.
    > Maxthon is huge in China.
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > China's Firefox growth kicks Aussies off top user list
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Australia has missed out making it into a list of countries containing
    > the
    > | most Firefox users, with the number of Chinese users of the browser
    > taking
    > | over Australian ones between November and December.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | "China is the fastest growing locale in relative share," Schroepfer
    > said.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/softwar...9286377,00.htm
    >

    > Mozilla Takes on Microsoft