[News] Sun's CDDL a Barrier to Competition Against GPL-licensed Linux - Linux

  1. [News] Sun's CDDL a Barrier to Competition Against GPL-licensed Linux

    Next year critical for Sun's 'Project Copy Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Not helping its case is the fact Sun put OpenSolaris under its own license -
    | Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL). Sun joins a league of
    | other vendors including Microsoft who have written their own licenses rather
    | than use existing open-source licenses. Debian, by contrast, got to its
    | position in the industry using a spread of different, and existing, licenses.
    | Another complication is the Sun-domination of the OpenSolaris work.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06..._open_solaris/

    Yesterday:

    OpenSolaris still has some Linux copying to do

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OpenSolaris 2008.05 packs in most of what Linux users are likely to expect -
    | GNOME, easy installation, good software update tools and more - and then adds
    | some extras on top. Although OpenSolaris isn't quite ready for prime time,
    | when it is, it'll be a nice possible alternative to Linux.
    |
    | Because it ships with a number of developer-focused tools that most desktop
    | users probably don't care about - the ZFS filesystem, DTrace,
    | and "containers" - it may not be all that compelling for average users.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...olaris_review/

    Recent:

    Does OpenSolaris Matter?

    | I'm not sure.
    |
    | Sun first announced OpenSolaris in 2005 but they keep finding ways to
    | announce 'first releases'. Yesterday was one such release.
    `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...is-matter.html

    Sun Promises Regular Open Source Solaris Updates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "We see it as one platform, two releases," he said during a press roundtable
    | at the JavaOne conference. Solaris is the stable platform with long-term
    | support for long-term mission-critical application deployment, while the open
    | source version is the fast-evolving, innovative operating system that reaches
    | out to developers and computer science students who want to learn about the
    | technology.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_updates.html

    What’s wrong at OpenSolaris

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Notice that? No SPARC support: on an OS product backed by Sun.
    |
    | And beyond that, what does the curious but uncommitted user see here? an
    | illogical “extra” in the first paragraph and a sloppy mistake in the second -
    | the package repository isn’t on the OpenOffice site, they’re trying to cite
    | an example of what’s available.
    |
    | Why did this happen? I think it happened for the same reason that companies
    | like Red Hat, IBM, and Microsoft have been having a wonderful time spreading
    | FUD about the CDDL and the inevitability of some future switch to GPL3: Ian
    | Murdock.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1144

    First look: OpenSolaris 2008.05 a work in progress

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Although the OpenSolaris development community still has a lot of work to do
    | before the operating system is ready to take on Linux on the desktop, the
    | progress so far indicates that the project deserves further attention. We
    | will keep an eye on future releases to see how the platform evolves.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-progress.html

    Crystal Ball Sunday #2: OpenSolaris vs. Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My first prediction is that there will be sizable battle waged between the
    | two in the Press and in IT labs alike. I foresee a lot of debate going back
    | and forth about the two operating systems, their pros, their cons, and the
    | stalwarts in both camps. This is going to be somewhat of a religious battle
    | so prepare yourselves accordingly.
    |
    | Second, and perhaps more important, is the license that both operating
    | systems will eventually live under. Linus Torvalds opposes GPL3 and currently
    | refuses to allow the kernel to be governed by it. OpenSolaris was released
    | under the CDDL (Common Development and Distribution License).
    | I think the first one of these operating systems that is releases under GPL3
    | will probably gain widespread acceptance with developers, corporations, and
    | adopters. The reason is that most of the other open source apps released
    | under GPL3 will receive vigorous adoption and development by the kernel that
    | also matches that license.
    `----

    OpenSolaris gets its wings ... but it requires a long, long time on the tarmac
    with 512 MB of RAM

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | At any rate, what I learned is that OpenSolaris is certainly usable on the
    | desktop, just not so much in the form that Sun itself is releasing it --
    | especially for a box with 512 MB of RAM.
    `----

    http://www.insidesocal.com/click/200...solaris-2.html

    Sun exec ponders OpenSolaris, Linux Sun exec ponders OpenSolaris, Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | InfoWorld: What exactly is Debian?
    |
    | Murdock: Debian is a Linux distribution. It's the basis of Ubuntu Linux. I
    | suppose the basic innovation of Debian was that it was developed by a
    | distributed community, so we intentionally set out to build it in a
    | distributed fashion, and it's one of the first open-source projects to
    | operate that way.
    `----

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...s-Linux_1.html

    OpenSolaris Wants To Compete With Linux - Oh Yeah?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yesterday Sun Microsystems officially released OpenSolaris and suggested that
    | it's going to go head-to-head with Linux as a Desktop Operating System.
    | Solarisx86 is nothing new and has been around about as long as Linux but it
    | is historically proprietary and closed source. It was also very
    | hardware-finicky and performance was slothlike.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Sun's CDDL a Barrier to Competition Against GPL-licensed Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Next year critical for Sun's 'Project Copy Linux'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Not helping its case is the fact Sun put OpenSolaris under its own
    > | license - Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL). Sun joins
    > | a league of other vendors including Microsoft who have written their own
    > | licenses rather than use existing open-source licenses. Debian, by
    > | contrast, got to its position in the industry using a spread of
    > | different, and existing, licenses. Another complication is the
    > | Sun-domination of the OpenSolaris work.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06..._open_solaris/

    The guys who wrote the CDDL and pushed it through should go fsck themselves.
    After all, they are by now costing their company more in productivity than
    those guys and their net annual pay?

+ Reply to Thread