[News] 5 Out of 5 for Eee PC (with Linux), Microsoft Scared - Linux

  1. [News] 5 Out of 5 for Eee PC (with Linux), Microsoft Scared

    Asus Eee PC 901

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Both notebooks also use the same Linux Xandros operating system and have a
    | 20GB solid-state hard drive (an XP model will have 12GB storage). And while
    | the Intel Atom processor that pulses away under the diminutive keyboard of
    | the 901 is superior to that of the 900, you’ll be hard pressed to tell the
    | difference.
    |
    | There was some confusion about the 900’s battery: at the time of launch, Asus
    | UK believed that it would ship with a 5800mAh battery. Many arrived with a
    | 4400mAh affair, which fizzled out after just two hours.
    `----

    http://stuff.tv/Review/Asus-Eee-PC-901/

    Another new review:

    Asus Eee PC 901 20G Linux Edition

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is helped, of course, by the fact that the 901 continues to use NAND
    | Flash for storage, 20GB in our Linux-based sample, rather than a mechanical
    | drive. A lack of moving parts means less heat, more responsive performance
    | and greater durability and in a machine this size these are great qualities
    | to have.
    `----

    http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebo...nux-Edition/p1
    http://tinyurl.com/55bdrn

    Cheap Linux PCs Scare Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As I sit here looking at my Zonbu(s) (a mini and the notebook), I cannot help
    | but feel overwhelming dismay over all the progress made with "ready-to-go"
    | Linux solutions like the Eee, Cloudbook and of course, the OLPC project. My
    | concern is not in regard to the projects themselves, but it’s where Microsoft
    | is trying to edge their way into something that Linux was working magic with
    | first.
    |
    | First, we hear about XP coming to the Eee. Then as if a bad omen has come to
    | pass after OLPC and Intel have their falling out, Microsoft is here to pickup
    | on the down and out group in hopes of cashing in with installing Windows XP
    | on the specialized notebook.
    `----

    http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?op...793&Itemid=449

    Some recently-leaked memos show that Microsoft sort of knew this was coming
    when it acknowledged Vista was a mess.

    Recent:

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Microsoft to limit capabilities of cheap laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft plans to offer PC makers steep discounts on Windows XP Home Edition
    | to encourage them to use that OS instead of Linux on ultra low-cost PCs
    | (ULPCs). To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    | screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they cannot
    | offer touch-screen PCs.
    |
    | The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to PC
    | makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The goal
    | apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that they don't
    | eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista, something both
    | Microsoft and the PC vendors would want to avoid.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft notes that the OSes under consideration for the devices include
    | Windows and Linux. Some PC makers have expressed a preference for Linux
    | because it helps them keep down the cost of the devices.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    | secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
    | an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
    | not authorized to discuss the program.
    |
    | "[Low-cost PC makers] have made some good inroads with open-source, and
    | Microsoft wants to put a stop to it," the official said.
    |
    | The official did not seem opposed to the program. It should stimulate more
    | competition between Windows and Linux in the ULPC market, and it could
    | invigorate sales because consumers who want an easy-to-use PC are likely to
    | prefer Windows, the official said.
    `----

    http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=D04...0F5F4479DEEE86

    Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    | secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
    | an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
    | not authorised to discuss the programme.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=9006

  2. Re: [News] 5 Out of 5 for Eee PC (with Linux), Microsoft Scared

    "Roy Schestowitz" schreef in bericht

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks