Re: [News] [Rival] XBox360 Finishes Last in Its Own Back Yard (US Sales) - Linux

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] XBox360 Finishes Last in Its Own Back Yard (US Sales)

    > PS3 tops Xbox 360 in May game console sales
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Nintendo's Wii remains atop the monthly sales race in the U.S. video-game
    >| console market, but Sony's Playstation 3 beat Microsoft's Xbox 360 in May
    >| unit sales released by the NPD Group research firm today. Here's how the
    >| three consoles stacked up:
    >|
    >| Nintendo Wii: 675,100
    >| PlayStation 3: 208,700
    >| Xbox 360: 186,600
    >|
    >| [comment:]
    >|
    >| Guess the "inventory" excuse is now out. So maybe this explains why MSFT
    >| reshuffled management this week.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...ves/141060.asp
    >
    > WinTrolls should give it all up and admit that Xbox 360 was a failure.

    But:

    The Xbox 360, which was launched a year ahead of both rivals, remains
    the leader in cumulative unit sales, with about 10.3 million units in
    the U.S., compared with 10.2 million for the Wii and 4.6 million for
    the PlayStation 3.

    --
    Personal computing today is a rich ecosystem encompassing massive PC-based data
    centers, notebook and Tablet PCs, handheld devices, and smart cell phones. It

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] XBox360 Finishes Last in Its Own Back Yard (US Sales)

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > But:
    >
    > The Xbox 360, which was launched a year ahead of both rivals, remains
    > the leader in cumulative unit sales, with about 10.3 million units in
    > the U.S., compared with 10.2 million for the Wii and 4.6 million for
    > the PlayStation 3.

    More interesting is to align the sales charts by launch time. Then what
    you see is the Wii rocketing up, and the PS3 and 360 growing it a much
    less steep rate, with the PS3 line and the 360 line right on top of each
    other for the first year or so. They even have spurts at the same time.

    The PS3 then picks up a bit, so has been growing a little faster at
    month N than 360 did at month N. That pick up in sales corresponds to a
    drop in Wii sales (which still leaves Wii growing much faster than the
    other two).

    Thus, it looks like PS3 is drawing some people who would have bought Wii.

    Another thing that seems apparent from watching the charts over time is
    that there isn't a lot of automatic Sony brand loyalty. Sony was
    expecting (and a lot of others expected it too) for PS3 sales to zoom
    because that is what PS2 owners would naturally by. The fact that PS3
    and 360 sales curves were almost identical indicates that isn't so. It
    seems to me that it indicates that both PS3 and 360 have largely
    appealed to the hard core gamers--the kind of people that end up buying
    both. They bought 360s first, and then when PS3 came out, they bought
    those. Hence, their sales curves plotted against age of console were
    nearly identical. The large non-hardcore crowd that was responsible for
    PS2's huge numbers did not go for either PS3 or 360. They went with Wii.

    Now, in the last few months, it seems some of them are perhaps deciding
    to take a look at the high end consoles, and are going for PS3.

    What Sony needs to do now is get the manufacturing cost way down. If
    I'm right that the bigger recent sales are from more casual gamers, that
    won't do a lot for game sales. (If 360 is mostly hard core gamers, then
    they can expect the high ratio of games to consoles to continue, and
    they have a good number of high selling exclusives). Selling to casual
    gamers while taking a big loss on the consoles is not a happy thing, and
    Sony needs to get away from that.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread